“Shady and unsafe”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hillside
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Unfriendly arrival upon check in, no hair blow dryer in the rooms, you have to ask the front desk staff for one and you have to return it back once you are done. The grab and go breakfast is literally just muffins, granola bar, and coffee. Dogs are welcome there and you guess it, the halls smell like dogs. Carpet is unclean and it felt unsafe in the room. Our TV was left on and when we came back a few hours later, it was turned off. My toothbrush was removed from where I placed it. It was really shady and I felt unsafe. It was cheaper if I booked through the extended stay website or number. If you arrive and just try to get a room, you are playing additional $30 for a shady place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Angelic Y
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Angelic - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that our staff did not welcome you to our hotel properly and that your room was unclean. Please know, our housekeeping staff will clean while guests are not in their rooms so that they do not interfere with your daily schedule. I am truly sorry if something was out of place after this happened and that their work did not meet your expectations. In response, I will be working with the entire team to revamp our cleaning procedures. As well, I will be coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at hil@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I'm coming to this place on business. Every time the room is clean and staff is friendly specially Maria and her manager. I will recommended this hotel, I like those rooms with micro oven, fridge and stove. I will stay in this hotel every time I'm in Hillside area.
Thank you.
Jana

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jana S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Jana - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such a positive review. I'm so pleased to hear that the rooms are always clean. It is great to hear that you find our staff to be friendly.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was very pleased with the way I was treated by the staff at this location. I couldn't be happier with the fast response to any questions or concerns I had about my accommodations. The room was clean and in good condition. Yes, the furniture is older but it was well taken care of and that is a huge plus in my book. The kitchenette was a major benefit during my stay because I could cook what I wanted without incurring the costly eating expenses often found at hotels that do not have kitchenettes. I felt like I was in my own mini apartment while I was there and it was a wonderful experience. I would definitely return to this location upon visiting Hillside again. :^)

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor offer greater quality. Third floor is designated for smokers though there a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Terrie C
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that our staff treated you well and that you enjoyed the kitchen in your studio. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is a good place to stay in a pinch and the price is very good for the room. The staff is friendly, the room is clean, and they have a fridge and stove top so it's kind of like a home away from home. I would stay here again

Room Tip: Priceline has really good deals for this company
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Joe - The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I am so glad that you found your room to be comfortable and that our staff provided you with friendly service. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have heard great reviews of Extended Stay America and had to give this place a try! Our house where my mother and I have lived needed some basement repairs from the flood four months ago and needed a place to stay temporarily until the basement was completed and livable. Staff was very friendly and excellent; the place was immaculate...almost like an apartment and not just a hotel room. The moment we stepped in the room, it was like paradise!! We expected to stay for a week, but decided to go and stay for another week!! The price was a little high, but it was the best money I spent since I've been here! I would definitely recommend this place to everyone who is looking for a place to stay anytime!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbie L
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for posting such a great review. Being away from your home for an extended period is not easy to do. I am glad to read that you were comfortable in the "home away from home" you found at our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our team in your review as well; your kind words are truly appreciated. We would love to provide you with another comfortable stay soon!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

After closing on my home and still being in limbo about my new place, I ended up at this location. While twice having my Grandmother stay with me without much notice, I found the staff helpful in making any changes that I needed to accommodate her as well.

It's proximity to the highway and shopping made this a great location. Having just moved from Oak Park, I was aware of times when the rush hour turns into a couple of hours and alternatives to making whatever trip I planned less of a hassle. A trip downtown or to Oak Brook super easy,

If the only negative I could come up with was no HBO during the True Blood series then I think I made a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin J
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Kevin - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It's great to hear that the staff was able to accommodate your changes and make your Grandma feel at home. As well, I am glad that you liked our hotel's location.

Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Good luck choosing your new home!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The staff though friendly and helpful are not when it comes to booking and costs the best answer I got was book it over the phone and if you get a better rate we'll honor it which they did the first time the second time though, the call-taker Steven told me once your in the hotel they're responsible for re-booking rooms and refused any further assistance. I further heard the staff quote a price to a new customer that was lower than what they quoted me and told her that she could pay by the week and still receive the monthly rate while I had to pay a month up front to receive their best rate.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Extended Stay
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Marty W
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Marty - Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I am delighted to read your remarks about the friendliness of our staff; however, I am very sorry that there was some confusion regarding the rates for our hotel. Please know, our rates differ for many different reasons, it is not a subjective change. Still, to ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, I am going to be reviewing our rate plans with the entire staff.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at hil@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillside
Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Hampton Inn Chicago/Westchester (Oak Brook)
The Carleton of Oak Park
The Drake Hotel - Oak Brook
Regal Inn Chicago-O'hare Airport Franklin Park

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside? Share your experiences!