“Friendly staff but poor location”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I loved staying there, but it is just a 3 star experience. The staff is great and the place is clean, but the location sucks. There is a Wendy's next door, but nothing else to eat for miles. There is also construction on the road out front (November 3013) and that made it difficult to get in and out.
The beds were a bit cheap and hard, and there were a few things broken in the room, but the staff sent in the maintenance guy at my request. The carpets were dirty and stained, but they shampooed it at my request. But why don't they do that stuff BEFORE they get a guest?

Still, not a bad place to stay if you get it cheap.

Room Tip: Plan to cook in the room, since there are no places to eat nearby (except Wendy's).
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Mark - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed the service our staff provided and your clean room; however, I apologize that you had some maintenance issues and our hotel's location did not meet your expectations. Please know, we are taking your comments very seriously and will work to enhance our offerings overall moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at cit@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel since Jan to Oct and it was a great stay. Staff was warm and friendly and always helpful. Great thing is that there is two Walmarts near by as well as two subways, a movie theater.

The only bad quality is every now and then someone burns toast and the fire dept comes out which if you have kids is not a bad thing because they get to see all the fire trucks and such. The Fire Dept usually turns off the sirens before they hit the hotel Lot.

Also There is a Wendys on the same parking lot so grabbing a bite to eat is as simple as a quick walk. Also note that you need to enter the hotel via the stop light in front Wendys.

Also the Internet connection sucks if you like to stream movies via netflix or hulu. Its as fast as dialup.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Joel - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the friendliness of the staff. I am sorry to hear that the internet connection was too slow, but it's great to hear that you liked the location. We do offer faster speeds for our wireless for a flat fee. I apologize this was not communicated to you during check-in.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Love this place and it's location. No problems with any other guests. The staff was great, very friendly and helpful no rude regional managers like in the other extended stay in Vernon Hills IL. My dog of 6 years old was welcomed with open hands. If i had to stay away from home again i will definitely come back to this extended stay. Morning goodies were also greatly appreciated too.

• Stayed: November 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm thrilled that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I'm also glad that we where able to make the stay comfortable for your dog.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Excellent facilities - and very sweet staff , looks like extended stay will soon or actually competing with 3 start or higher level hotels. The lady at the front desk was courteous and helpful in providing information on itasca area. Also provided news paper and other flyiers which was informative, will definatly come back again here as I am frequent traveller to chicago area

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Don - I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. I am so glad that our staff provided you with such great service and that they were helpful. We all truly enjoyed having you stay with us and we would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Horrible! Filthy room, broken furniture. The carpets are stained and soiled and the hotel smells like a big ash tray! Car was vandalized during my stay, police frequent this place. Prostitutes and drug dealers every where.

• Stayed: August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am so disappointed that you had issues with our housekeeping, maintenance and security during your stay. This is not indicative of a typical stay with us. Please accept my apology. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that we take your comments very seriously and do not condone illegal activity of any kind. With that in mind, I have reviewed your complaints with my entire team and we are working to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at cit@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

My kids and I stayed here for a month. Before this location we were at a different extended stay in schaumburg, but decided to go to this one because it was closer to my work. We had no issues at the schaumburg location.

Upon checking in we noticed the room phone did not work. John who was working at the front desk came to take a look and said he would have it replaced the next day. A month later it still was not fixed.

There were greasy hand prints on the wall.

The hall way on the third floor smelled like pot almost every day.

There were people out side smoking drugs often.

But the icing on the cake was when my pay schedule at work changed and I needed to make partial payments. Although I was informed that they normally do not do partial payments it was still accepted. But then the next week, the front desk guy, John, told me they do not accept partial payments and if I could not pay in full I would be switched to the nightly rate which is almost 30 dollars a night more. So I made arrangements for the full amount to be paid. But could not make the payment because john had already switched me to the nightly rate. So with this on to of other things I had to check out. But forgot to tell the front desk. My mistake. So the next day I get a very rude and threatening call from yet again John. Saying if I did not come back he would call the cops. I called back and spoke to who I belive read the manager, who said it was fine they just needed to know when I could pay what I owed. (Seeing as how I checked in on a Tuesday and left the followong Tuesday, I was not sure how I owed anything). So the next day I get another call from John saying of I did not come in to pay the file would be handed over to the police and it would be a criminal matter. After I called the police my self and asked them about this, this is not the case at all. So they also lied to me.

I ended up paying it to avoid the
Headache.

Never The less I have never seen a place so ignorant and money hungry. After reading their consumer report, seems I am not the only one who they have messed with about money.

With this said, I will never stay there again. I also think that John guy is incompetent and needs to be fired and smacked.

the other front deak girls were very nice.

the location is horrible, there was construction right out side on the main road. Thorndale is always packed and you cant turn left onto the road it is on while headed West on thorndale. Which is a huge pain.

I would find another extended stay, there are several in area most of which are happy to have you and thw same price.

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Alyusha - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you had issues with housekeeping and our staff. In response, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and am coaching our entire team on how to provide better customer service. As well, please know, we do not condone illegal activity of any kind. We are taking your comments very seriously and will take action as needed. Lastly, in regards to the billing issues you experienced, we require that our guests pay for lodging in advance. Unfortunately, if a guest is unable to pay any balance and leaves the hotel, our company policy is to report this to a higher authority. We do this with all of our guests to ensure that we are consistent with our policies.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at cit@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed one night at the Itasca location. I got a great rate for a last minute booking but that is where great ended. The bathroom had a small round bar of soap, no shampoo, conditioner or lotion. These hotels boast of a kitchenette, yet when I opened the fridge it was empty. Not even bottled water which was all I wanted. I would even have paid for it but not an option. At least most hotels have some offering in a mini bar but there was nothing. The bulb was burned out in lamp next to the bed. The final blow was the next morning when I rushed to leave and be on time only to discover the clock in the room was not set for the correct time. They do offer breakfast on a table in lobby which was coffee, oatmeal and blueberry or chocolate muffins.
I had always thought this chain was a step above the other budget chains but I was clearly mistaken.

Room Tip: Expect nothing more than a bed and you will not be disappointed,
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
2 mi away
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village
#10 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk Grove Village at I-290, IL
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#3 of 14 in Elk Grove Village

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca? Share your experiences!