“Exactly what you pay for,cheap and dirty!”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Okay let me start off by saying the price for our room with a kitchenette was pretty cheap. But I must say that is the only good thing I experienced. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and let me start off by staying every night was stressful.

When we arrived Saturday I went to the front desk to check in. There was a man at the desk and asked to help me. I told him that I had a reservation.(booked 2 months ago) He saw my reservation and asked for my credit card, I told him it was already paid for and he kept searching and searching and "finally" found it. Now granite I am in the Chicago area for a hip surgery and I figured they would have given me a close room since I told them I was handicap. WRONG! He gave me a room on the 2nd floor at the very end of the hallway. Now let me just say I was willing to just bite the bullet. But when we got up in our room he had given me a room with 2 double size beds. Now as bad as I didn't want to go back down stairs and ream him I had to. My husband is 6'4 and I have to have plenty of room for my hips. So as you can guess I went back down and showed him my reservation that stated I booked a room for 1 queen size bed. His response was "I am out of queen size rooms" I told him I made this reservation in May and It is now July. He said in a snobby tone "your room is an upgrade" I told him I didn't want an upgrade I wanted the room I made a reservation for (also I don't wanna sleep in a separate bed as my husband.)He told me he didn't have any more queen size rooms available. I didn't say anything I just stood there, I think he expected me to be okay with this and go back to my room. But as you can probably tell I was not happy. Then he said "have you touched anything?! I mean anything even the sink?!?!" I was shocked at how he was speaking to me.Then finally he said "Oh 101 hasn't checked in yet I can put you there!" As if he had had some sort of an epiphany. So we agreed and went and got our luggage and went to 101. Now one of the first things we noticed is that the hallways have no air conditioning they are very hot and muggy. Entering the room we noticed the counter top was coming unsealed, which in my opinion was tacky also, the refrigerator was leaking water onto the floor. Next thing we noticed was that the restroom had hair EVERYWHERE, in the tub, in our sink, in our towels and in our bedding. I was so discussed I had to clean the tub in order to bath.
We where very pleases to have a kitchenette but, we did not have not one dish! We didn't have a cup, napkins, or silverware. We were very disappointed as we could not even use the kitchen expect the microwave.
Also you would expect our room to have shampoo,lotion,soap,or face wash. All we received was a small bar soap.
We booked this out of the city and wanted to cook for ourselves to make a better time away from home, but as you can probably tell it wasn't nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues with check-in and for the cleanliness issues in your room. Please accept our apologies. As this hotel’s manager, we can assure you that we have spoken with all of our staff members to ensure your experience is not repeated. We also apologize that you were not informed of our customizable kitchen packs. We store our kitchenware in a sterile environment and allow our guest to choose the items they would like in their room. Once they design their kitchen, we deliver the clean items to their room. We will work with our front desk staff to make sure we are fully informing our guests of our available amenities during check-in.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please contact us, at cit@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I deliberated between 3 & 4 stars. My overall rating is more like 3.5 out of 5.

The price you pay for your stay is quite good in comparison to other facilities. They have a coin laundry on the first floor near the lobby. They have a "to-go" breakfast bar at the front lobby with coffee, hot water for tea or oatmeal, fruit, and granola bars/muffins from 6 until 9:30am every morning. You can't miss it if you go out the front door, it is quite an appealing breakfast, and better than some other hotels I've stayed in.

The third floor at this location is for smokers and pets (I don't know if the other two floors have pet rooms there as well), so if you are sensitive to odors or animals, best avoid the top floor. I'm not a smoker, but just need 4 walls and a bed, hot water to shower with, and I'm good.

The floors had stains on the carpet, but nothing substantial or gross, it happens with domesticated animals, right? But, the staff are quite friendly and cordial, they do have a good amount of parking if you have a vehicle, and there is a Wendy's next door, and a 7-11 about 2 blocks up the road.

The downside is location, and being in an industrial area, if you are on foot or looking to catch the Pace Bus (the local bus system for those that don't know), the bus stop is a good hike, I'm not sure how far exactly. But you may be better off hailing a cab.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 3rd floor unless you are a smoker, have a pet, or can tolerate any of th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies for the condition of your carpet. We will have our housekeeping staff address the issue. Still, we are pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our friendly staff.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel .Great staff like John, Valerie .My parents stayed there for 2 months and they were feeling as if they are at home.I appreciate the assistance provided to my parents during their stay at extended stay.I am going to advice my family members and friends to go for extended stay america.

• Stayed: July 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

The team and I appreciate your wonderful remarks about our hotel. It's great to hear that your parents felt like they were at home. I am especially pleased to read that they received such great service and assistance from my staff. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. The staff and I would love to provide you or your parents with another comfortable stay in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Extended Stay America hotel is a nice place to come. I thought it was a clean hotel the staff was very friendly. Angelica took care of us at the door. We are good with courtesy and she set up and made a res for a room very quickly. The price is reasonable. We were not charged extra for Internet. There was a Wendys right next door you walk through to get somebody easily. Sadly there is some road construction around the area but it wasn't that difficult to get in and out of. America extended stay hotels are ones that will definitely have to look at the future we plan to make your traveling plans. It would be recommended if you're looking for remote L and nice place to stay for a few days.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Shawn - We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We are proud of our staff, especially Angelica, for providing you with a clean, comfortable hotel and great service.

Thank you again for your kind words. We would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

It was the worst place I ever stayed at , its great if your a smoker , but I'm not , and it does not feel safe to stay there , they have no room service , no cleaning service , if you want clean towels or your bed made you better do it your self !!

Room Tip: This place sucks !! BEWARE !!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had a problem with other guests smoking during your stay. I am also sorry to hear that we did not fully describe our housekeeping service. We provide housekeeping services to guests staying eight or more nights; however, these services are always available upon request for an additional fee. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at cit@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The staff especially the General Manager were GREAT....
On top of all my requests and Q & A's for them, they went ABOVE AND BEYOND....AND TREATED ME LIKE A VALUED GUEST but also with respect as a person...seems like they care.. If I ever need to stay in a hotel either short or long term again, like in this case, I WOULDNT GO ANYWHERE ELSE..... thank you guys

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank michael pops p P
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I loved staying there, but it is just a 3 star experience. The staff is great and the place is clean, but the location sucks. There is a Wendy's next door, but nothing else to eat for miles. There is also construction on the road out front (November 3013) and that made it difficult to get in and out.
The beds were a bit cheap and hard, and there were a few things broken in the room, but the staff sent in the maintenance guy at my request. The carpets were dirty and stained, but they shampooed it at my request. But why don't they do that stuff BEFORE they get a guest?

Still, not a bad place to stay if you get it cheap.

Room Tip: Plan to cook in the room, since there are no places to eat nearby (except Wendy's).
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Mark - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed the service our staff provided and your clean room; however, I apologize that you had some maintenance issues and our hotel's location did not meet your expectations. Please know, we are taking your comments very seriously and will work to enhance our offerings overall moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at cit@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Eaglewood Resort & Spa
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elk Grove Village at I-290, IL
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#3 of 14 in Elk Grove Village
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village
Motel 6 Elk Grove Village
#11 of 14 in Elk Grove Village

Been to Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca? Share your experiences!