“Great staff, clean rooms, nicely decorated, great value”

Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I stayed here for two nights in connection with my son's wedding. The staff was friendly and competent. The room was nicely decorated, clean throughout, and very quiet. I liked the furnished balcony, too. Decor of the hotel aside from the rooms was a mixture of modern and something akin to a lodge. It is clearly a resort, and the golf course is a big part of its features. I would definitely stay here again. If you are thinking of staying here, pay attention to the hotel's own web site in order to get the best rate and check the web site from time to time before you actually go there to see if rates have gotten better than the one you booked. The AAA rate includes the big buffet breakfast for two.

• Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed 17 July 2009

I should have known at the booking. The clerk told me: "I can't find your wedding party, oh there it is, well we have no deal for you, you can book a regular room." Unfortunately that was the start. I would not be surprised if that was a switchboard operator as we checked in to our 2 queen (booked king) - contructed during the dark ages moderately kept room. At least they got the request for a top floor: we could tell by the watermark on the ceiling.

The topper was the room service:
"Breakfast for 2 we'll be up when we can"
30 minutes pass
"Let me check on your order sir and call you back"
5 minutes pass
"It will be there certainly in 5 minutes"
15 minutes pass
"What do you mean is not there yet? I think it should be by now. No sir, a manager is not available right now and yes you will have to pay for that."
---after relaying this to management they did offer complementary lunch and when we told them we were on our way out credited our bill

The only thing luxurious here is the Royal Pain.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chibiffard
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We stayed for one night. We spent the afternoon playing games across the way at Dave and Buster's, then checked in and spent some time at the indoor pool. The rooms are nice--clean, modern. Had a nice dinner near Woodfield Mall, then went back and spent some time at the bowling alley. The score boards weren't working so they gave us a discount. Also played air hockey in the game room. After the kids went to bed, we were hoping to get a purchase of wine from room service, but there was nothing to be had and the woman at the front desk acted like we were crazy for suggesting such a thing. There was a bar in the lobby although it wasn't open. The breakfast buffett was a little pricey so we went to breakfast outside the hotel. Overall it was a nice place to stay during the winter with kids.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I too was pleasantly surprised! We found the staff to be very accomodating from check-in to check-out. Our room was on the 7th floor and in the first tower. My husband had broken his ankles and after reading the reviews, I requested a room close to the lobby. We also have a small dog and the short walk to the outdoors was also very appreciated. Upon entering the room we found it to spacious, clean and refreshing. The large private balcony and windows made the room feel twice as big. The bathroom consists of a commode and tub, with the sink, mirror and blowdryer just outside the door, which is how my family prefers it to be. When someone is in the shower everyone else can still use the mirror and sink to get ready =) The feel of the lobby is cozy resort, the business area offered us internet access, and the pool area was the nicest I've been in, in a very long time! The pool was huge compared to others, they play a movie on screen for guests (Nemo at the time) and offer a locker room with keys upon request, wooden lockers, a changing area, showers and extra towels. The jacuzzi felt fabulous after longs days of walking the Magnificent Mile =) My girls thought the steam room and sauna were great! We had the spring break package that included 1 hour of bowling a day and the breakfast buffet each morning. The bowling was fun and the staff was great! There's also a bar and pool table, but this too is in the building with the pool. And yes, you do have to walk across the parking lot which was a super big downfall. If only they had an enclosed skywalk... it would be close to perfect! Unfortunately tho, a couple of the reviews regarding the food was true. We thought the breakfast buffet was great. Everyday there was something new and the chef prepared belgian waffles and omlettes at request. Hint... get there early! People (kids and parents without any courtesy) tent to stand in front of the hot line wating to get their waffle and omlette order in and dont seem to care much that others would like to get their breakfast too. The earlier we were there, the less kids =) My husband and I went down to the bar to watch the college basketball final 4 Monday night. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the bar area and restaurant was smoke free =) It was also our 18th wedding anniversary so we ordered a couple of appetizers and prepared to enjoy our evening. But I'm sorry to say, the appetizers were awful. (we ordered the artichoke dip & pub chips) Tuesday night my teenage girls were in the mood for pizza and decided to order the "Pizza party". What they got was an overpriced very, VERY THIN frozen pizza. Very dissapointing to say the least. But other than the appetizers and pizza being a bust, we had a fabulous time. Hopefully they can improve on the downfalls of the appetizers. But for the spring break special that we recieved the price was unbeatable! It was 89.00/night with a 12.99/day resort usage for the family. The best price around that I could find (the breakfast alone would have cost us $40 a day!! and it was included!!), a pool, pet friendly, clean and friendly and a zippy 20 mins without traffic to downtown Chicago, AND a very short distance to "the 2nd largest mall in america"!! The staff, that I heard so many negative reviews about, even offered to drive us to walmart when I realized we forgot to pack hairspray =) I just want to say... you get a lot further with honey than you do with vinager. We treat others the way we would want to be treated. A smile, please and thank you's goes a looong way =) Customer service isn't the easiest area to work in, so if you treat people with respect and kindness, even when they make a mistake, you'll get the same back =)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Stayed at this resort 2 nights 3/27-3/29. We had a GREAT TIME!! Our package included 1 hour of free bowling each day and a buffet breakfast each morning. The fitness center has state of the art equipment, all of which were in good working order. They have towels, 3 televisions and a water cooler in the fitness center. The steamroom, sauna, and whirlpool were all in good working order. The pool is huge!! I like the fact that the water in the whirlpool was very clean looking (unlike public health clubs). The guys that work at the bowling alley bar are very friendly. Our 11th floor room was very clean and smelled so fresh! We did not get a spa treatment this time. It was "okay" in the past. *So far I haven't found a spa that can beat out the spa treatment I've gotten in Jamaica.

The only negative thing I can say about the resort is that the sports/spa building is separate from the main hotel. You have to go outside, walk about 300 feet, to get to the sports building.

I will definitely return again, next time staying at least 3 nights in order to spend more time in the fitness center, steam, sauna, etc. May even try a treatment again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2009

After reading other reviews, I wasn't so sure about this hotel.
I realized I had a bargain with a $49.00 bid on Priceline! The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff friendly and efficient.
I was pleasantly surprised as my room was updated, clean with a wonderful bed and beautiful linens. The rooms are a bit of a walk from the registration desk, but they will assist with your luggage if needed. Aveda amenities and a coffee maker. If you want a fridge, they are an extra cost according to the guest book in the room. There is a bar in the lobby and it was quite busy with a business group the night I was there, even though it was a Saturday night. The spa and fitness center are not connected and are across the parking lot.

All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2009

All in all a very good bargain for our bid of $55/night on priceline.com. I stayed here with several relatives for 4 nights. Overall, the food was pretty decent (nothing gourmet or pure culinary genious) and the waitstaff (while sometimes a bit aloof) were friendly and accommodated our request (party of 6-8 at most meals). We stayed in both the North and South Towers on the 5th & 7th floors.

NOTE: It's a bit of a walk from the main lobby to the room towers (as expected for a resort)...however, be sure to request a North Tower room (shorter walk between the lobby and towers - you have to pass the North Tower to get to the South Tower) if you have elderly or people who have difficulty walking distances....they did not offer a wheelchair or scooter.

There were several business groups there so it seems to a popular place for corporate retreats.

PROS:

Food - thin crust pizza, waffles, and loaded pub chips became a fave amongst the majority of us (Ages ranged from very early 30's to early 70's).

Check-in/Check-out - very quick and easy (but not without issues for some, more on that under "Cons").

Conveniently located to the highways, several strip malls (that contained grocery & liquor stores), the Woodfield Mall (in Schaumberg), and restaurants.

Staff - overall very friendly and pretty accomodating (housekeeping was pretty prompt in fulfilling our requests for extra towels etc...), the waitstaff was friendly & some were more attentive than others, as to be expected in the service business (see "cons" for further comment). They all spoke and understood English well.

Rooms - overall very clean & in pretty good condition...had an Ipod docking station for listening too music....the soaps etc are all Aveda products. Also, noise from the hall etc wasn't a problem.

CONS:

Waiters in Burnham's Restaurant - I agree with the previous reviewer regarding how some of the wait staff seemed more interested in whatever conversation they were having than being attentive to the few guests that were in the restaurant. When we were in smaller groups (2-4 people), it seemed like we had a more attentive waiter.

Buffet - The breakfast buffet is ok, and is your only option for breakfast. It's also much better/more appealing than the dinner buffet. However, you can not order things like pancakes or french toast every day. Some days members of my family were able to do so and other days we were limited to just made-to-order omlettes and waffles. If you are a Southerner (as some in my family are, you will disappointed because there are no grits or biscuits - hehehe).

Coffee - not bad but on the weak side if you are a serious coffee drinker. The other problem the coffee lovers in my family had was keeping it hot while dining. Since the restaurant is chilly, the coffee would often get cold fast.

Heat - initially the heat in the rooms was "sketchy" but that was easily fixed - You just have to make sure you turn the fan on instead of the default setting which is "auto". If you leave it on auto, the heat will only come on for 15 min at a time then shut off and the rooms cool down fast! Given that we are in a recession, I wonder if they were conserving heat - be sure to wear a sweater or wrap because the main floor halls are chilly, as is the main restaurant.

Rooms - TINY bathroom. The sink is outside of the TINY (the door hits your knees if you sit down on the toilet) room that had the toilet and shower/tub in it. Also the floor where the sink is is slate so be sure to either put a towel down or bring slippers b/c it's cold.

Check-in - unfortunately, two members of my family had to go back to the front desk TWICE because they were given a single instead of a double bed, as requested when making the reservation. Luckily, the front desk got it right on the 3rd try.

Facilities - The one disappointment was the lack of accessibility/availability of some of the amenities. For instance, the Bar & Lounge on the lower level was only open on the night we arrived. When we went back on various other occassions it wasn't open or if it was, we could not use the pool tables.

TIPS:

Since the drinks were slow coming and tended to be watered down, we ended up going to one of the liquor & grocery stores to get our own. Also, we opted to pick up the pizzas we ordered when we all wanted to eat in our rooms rather than wait for Room Service.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank keinwes97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago

Been to Eaglewood Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!