“Nice grounds, poor layout and uncomfortable beds”

Eaglewood Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Stayed one night here on a Saturday night (important later in this review), when we had a concert in the area. Overall a disappointing experience, and we would not stay here again - at least not without doing two things differently.

IF YOU STAY AT THIS HOTEL, DO THE FOLLOWING TWO THINGS, and your experience will probably be better than ours. One, make sure your room is NOT on the same floor as the lobby level (4th floor). Two, try to avoid Saturday nights if at all possible. Here is why...

The way the hotel is laid out, well, I hope this architect doesn't find hotel work ever again. The 4th floor has more rooms than any other floor - and this is the floor that everyone has to walk through (all the rooms are RIGHT on the main hallway) to get to the other rooms or elevators to other floors. So if your room is on the 4th floor, you literally get every single person going in and out walking past your room, at all hours of the night. I've never seen a hotel laid out this way - usually the access to rooms is not past most of the hotel guest rooms on the biggest floor - who thought that was a good idea?

All hours of the night is the problem when there are weddings and events that day and night. We had people walking by yelling, screaming, generally being loud and drunk, walking by the room the entire night. We barely slept.

To make things worse - and this will not be helped by location, most likely - the beds were very uncomfortable. Hard as a rock.

Location is, well, not close to anything else, in terms of walking. Short drive to some nice places.

The good? The grounds are very nice, staff was fine, common areas fine, nice pool, reasonable rate.

Defintiely would not recommend, but if you do have to stay here, FOLLOW MY ADVICE - no 4th floor rooms, and avoid Saturday night if possible.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Eaglewood Resort. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and the noise level was higher than preferred. All guest comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with our team for their immediate review and action. Eaglewood Resort is purpose built conference center and is laid out as such. Once again our sincere apologies and we hope we are given the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

My friends and I enjoyed our stay at the Eaglewood Resort. We went for a girls weekend of Scrapbooking with Karen. It was everything we hoped that it would be. The rooms were very nice and clean. The staff was attentive. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast buffet with a view of the golf course at one of their restaurants. The conference room, where our event was held, was very comfortable and clean with a gorgeous view overlooking the golf course. Thank you to Adam Klos for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed here five nights for a family reunion. The rooms were good sized and nicely appointed, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The food was generally excellent, although service slow when busy on the weekend. The grounds are beautiful, but there is little to do or places to go, other than the pool and fittness center, if you are not a golfer.

The airconditioning in our room was anemic, not adequately providing relief from the start of a hot Chicago summer. The technician who came quickly when we called the desk said that all of the units were the same - there was no difference in output at low, medium or high fan settings and a 62 thermostat setting only made the room moderately cool when the sun went down. The technician said something about needing new thermostats and offered to have us moved to a room "on the other side" with less sunlight coming in, and suggested we keep the drapes drawn, but we declined a move since we had an adjoining room with family. Their AC was no better. Also, who wants to have to keep the drapes drawn to avoid breaking into a sweat. With several family visiting in a room it got too warm. And, no more than two glasses to a room! We also had to rent a small refigerator and did not see a microwage anywhere, pretty standard features in may hotels marketing themselves for conferences and reunions.

The bowling alley, something the we looked forward to with a number of teens and children in the group, was open on the weekend, but the attendant said it would not be open regularly during the week because of only "60% occupancy", so the staff didn't know when they would be "called in". For a family reunion, it is not acceptable to promote features, but eliminate them with low weekday occupancy. The store/gift shop also had reduced, erratic hours.

The lack of facility wide wireless is also unacceptable for a facility in this day and age that bills itself as a conference center.

This facility has great potential and is very attractive, but misses the mark on reliability of facilities, internet access, airconditioning and family friendliness. It was a terribly long walk to the rooms, via a maze of corridors and ramps, particularly hard for the elderly, with no real access except through the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2010

First let me say I am one of those people who read all the reviews before I go to any new hotel!! This time I was on the fence because some were good some bad! Well I was very impressed ..the lobby is nice, the front desk was cheerful and welcoming. The room was nice and roomy yes the bathroom is small but how long are you really going to stay in there! The Breakfast was great make sure you buy your food ticket when you check in its cheaper! They had everything from cook to order omlets to cereal to donuts to bacon to hashbrowns, juice water, milk anything you can think of they had!!! The golf course is beautiful. There were groups, couples, girls nite outters, kids and even pets. All races, ages and weight (in case anyone was wondering) and everyone got along great!! The spa was FAB!! There is a weight room, pool, bowling alley and a fitness center along with a pool where u can watch Rated G movies while you swim! Also free sauna and steam room! All those things are in a building across the parking lot but its like a 2 minute walk so nothing bad! My experience there was great they also have lots of outside dining. The gift shop is not open all day but if you need to get in just go to the front desk and they come right away. The bed is comfy! My favorite is the double balconies!!!WOW!!! I loved it it was soooo peaceful there are chairs and a lil table out there and you can sit out and relax it was totally private! I stayed in the tower and got a great deal and I can not wait to go back I really didnt want to leave!!!!!!!
**Only issue I had was my card being overcharged but as soon as I called the accounting department they fixed it RIGHT AWAY I mean in less than 10 minutes the money was back in my account!!! I LOVED it and I will return make sure you join the sterling club...O and Free Parking!!
Rating 9 out of 10 (had to take a point away for my credit card issue)!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Eaglewood has beautiful grounds which visitors may not walk on as they are part of the golf course. The food is ridiculously overpriced and of low quality. If you stay here without wheels, you are trapped as you cannot walk to other restaurants. The rooms very comfortable and clean. I was annoyed to find I had been charged $10 a day for internet access. Nowhere in the room or in the hotel book is this stated. One lady we met was in a walker and had been placed in a room a very long way from where the conference sessions were held. My husband pushed her back to her room. She was virtually stranded...the staff should have provided someone to help her get around. Do not come here if you have a mobility problem.
The overall impression was that conference attendees were second to the corporate golf set on expense accounts.
I have attended many conferences in Canada and the US and this is certainly the poorest venue I have experienced.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank harrietgateCanada
CharlesReece, General Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Thank you for your comments. We take this type of feedback very seriously at Eaglewood Resort and I will be sure to share this with our management team. For the record, we did have transportation arranged for the women in the wheelchair. Each day a staff member would take her back and forth from her room to the conference center. You must have seen her while she was waiting for assistance. Again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 2 May 2010

I attended a 4 day conference recently and while the facility is beautiful, the rooms were very comfortable it was plain to see that whomever manages this facility is incompetent. Where to start:

1. Wired internet connectivity in the room. If you have 2 laptops, you cannot connect at the same time, so much for work by roommates from the room.

2. One conference attendee was threatened by staff that they would be charged $300 if they smoked outside on their balcony because it was a fire hazzard. Individuals also were forced to sign a no-smoking in the room statement upon checkin, making us feel like we were idiots and could not follow the no smoking policy for the interior of the hotel.

3. Those who chose to not smoke on their balcony were forced to walk from their room (quite a distance if physically disabled) to either the one accessible exit (open 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. only) or all the way to the patio off the main reception area.

4. Though the facility had multiple restaurants, a store, and multiple bars they were closed the majority of the stay. Seems management closes at a whim. This left individuals without a way to purchase softdrinks or juices as there are no machines in the facility. At a $1.87 for a soda or coffee it seems they would have seen to it the shop was open all the time.

5. When a projector failed the facility wanted almost $600 to use theirs for one day. However, that didn't include sound. That was another $75.

6. The most popular beer sold was taken off the menu at the bars.

7. A lunch held in the tent off the patio included stale potato chips.

8. Refreshment breaks were left for 30 minutes only, then removed promptly, not allowing for any latecomers and were set up far from the restrooms, so if you had to use the facilities you did good to get back in time to get a drink.

9. Wi-Fi is set very low, preventing the expo hall from access to the internet. Another $75 charge if memory serves. They advertise lobby access, but most areas in the lobby do not have outlets so access is available only while the battery lasts.

10. Watching your dollars? Not here. A hot wing appetizer, 12" pizza (seemed like a frozen heated up), a salad, and 3 soft drinks with a small tip totaled $60. Two drinks at the bar varied from $14 to $18, depending on who was bartendering and at which bar. This also included from one hour to the next at the same bar. When we approached the lower restaurant for dinner an employee rushed past us, but I caught him and asked if we were to wait to be seated, he said he would get someone to help us, then returned 5 minutes later and said "I guess I'll seat you". He seemed very flustered. While we were dining, the music suddenly began to blare, drowning out our conversations.

Just not worth the effort. I would never recommend nor would I ever return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Your comments are appreciated and will be shared with our management team for their immediate attention. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. As one of the only 4 Diamond, IACC Certified Conference Centers in the Midwest, we take these things extremely seriously and will work diligently to effect the changes necessary.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

I don't think I will be returning. While the resort/hotel is absolutely beautiful, your website is very deceptive and misleading. I brought my children there for three nights/ four days for spring break and they were very disappointed. Your website advertised "dive in movies", we did not see this at all while there. The pool was not heated as advertised. The game room was tiny, outdated and half the games were "out of order" the entire time. The pool table area was small and filthy and the bowling alley was hardly ever open. And have you seen your basketball court? I won't even comment on that. My receipt also stated I would receive a coupon book upon check in, however upon check in I was told that you no longer have coupon books. Then that should not have been stated on there, which I anticipated on using that for your spa services. While I did enjoy the spa treatment I received, that was about the only thing. The rooms were large enough but did not have a fridge or microwave. The t.v. was old and only had a handful of channels, but did offer movies that you can rent for $16 bucks! The pillows and linens were clean and comfy but the bed way to hard and too short, my feet hung off the bed. I did not sleep very well at all. With some changes I think this place has real potential but until then I won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank kisjalee
mherron54, Manager at Eaglewood Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Eaglewood. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations however your comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with our team for their immediate review and action. There is certainly no excuse for the condition in which you found the pool area, rest assured we have already taken the necessary corrective measures. Once again our sincere apologies and we hope we are given the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
Hyatt Place Itasca
#1 of 5 in Itasca
The Westin Chicago Northwest
Hampton Inn & Suites Addison
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Itasca
Holiday Inn Itasca (Woodfield Area)
The Herrington Inn & Spa

Been to Eaglewood Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!