“Hidden gem in Locks Heath Centre”

Franco & Paolo Ristorante
Price range: US$14 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Please be aware that Franco & Paolo Ristorante will be closed for Bank holidays and Easter Dates. Now Open 7 days a week Lunch and dinner... lunch specials Pizza and Pasta starting at £6.50 pp...Also offering A la carte lunch specials from £8.95 inc Steak,chicken Pork belly and lots more ...
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I first became aware of Franco & Paolos as my 79 year old Mum kept banging on about how tasty the food was. She regularly frequented the place for the great valued lunchtime specials with her Golden Girl mates.
One Saturday while visiting my Mum I suggested popping over to the restaurant to check it out. I had an arrabiatta penne dish I recall which was delicious with the perfect hint of chilli to complament the bold tomato flavours. I was well impressed and to think you got a drink as well for £5.95!
Anyway as I became a more regular diner, I tried the pizzas for a change. I was bowled over by these. On my first mouthful I called Paolo over to explain. I said hey Paolo how come this pizza is so good. Being a proud neapolitan he said well mi amico it's because the dough is home made and the tomato base is made to a recipe straight out of the street of Naples the greatest place on earth to eat a Pizza!
This was too good to be true and as much as I was loving it I couldn't finish the whole pizza just like a fellow diner from the local pharmacy, who I have seen everytime I go there ... obviously another satisfied customer. Anyway Franco boxed up what I had left as I told him I need my Pizza loving son to try it.
After several visits since my son is now an avid fan too and having just started his summer break he said when are we going to grandmas?? We will be going to the Italian restaurant won't we?!
Like finding a good hairdresser or a car mechanic who doesn't try to rip you off, finding Franco and Paolos feels like a blessing. Whenever I fancy an Italian meal I will always go there and I look forward to trying the 2 course set menu on an evening soon.
Being an avid football fan Franco also keeps me informed on all the latest gossip from St.Mary's and whether Southampton actually have a team left to start the season with following all the transfers out.
For great food, a touch of Italian culture in a friendly environment, check out Franco & Paolo's.
David (Hedge End)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have reviewed and recommended this restaurant before and it continues to be our favourite local. I wanted to add new advice which is that Paolo really wants to cook you something special off the menu, especially fish. Give a few days notice if you can, but just small variations off the menu are no problem. Recently we have had "mixed fish" which is a plate of five different fish e.g. pegasus, swordfish, gambas, calamari and sardine. This will have enough on the side that you will not need a starter. We have also had a lobster with some gambas and calamari. Naturally these dishes are a little more expensive at around £21-£25 per head, but they are cooked to perfection and Paolo loves to do it for you.
Please ignore the few negative reviews which are difficult to believe; you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My partner and i, dined here last night, and what an amazing place to eat.fantastic atmosphere, and the two owners are both very passionate and friendly.The food was totally fresh, and gave our taste buds a real treat. We would certainly recommend this ristorante to anyone. OK the prices may seem a little high compared to some others. However like anything in life. if you want quality, and fantastic service. then surely its always worth that little extra...

Reviewed 13 July 2014

1. Over priced- compared to a traditional italian restaurant we regularly visit which is in a better a location too the prices were so expensive! Our bill was sky high and we didn't even have any alcohol!
2. Forced to give tip on bill - have no problems giving tips with our bill at any restaurants but had no choice it was a £10 tip automatically put on our bill which has definitely put us off going back.
3. Waitresses- As it's an italian restaurant the waitresses don't give it a traditional italian feel
4. Food to stodgy- we ordered pasta and pizza dishes we found the pasta sauces way to thick and creamy and hardy any meat in. Also doesn't cater for children the portions were way to large when they can clearly see there little ones so ended up wasting lots of food and my partner and dad had up set bellies through the night!
5. Atmosphere- wasn't great
..needs to be improved and prices need to be lowered!

6  Thank _cookieA22_
ardani63, Owner at Franco & Paolo Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking up your valuable time to write your comments. From time to time we do reply back especially if we feel the need to and I will answer your points in number format just how you have done.

1./ I'm not sure what restaurant you visit but all traditional Italian restaurants in our area (within a 7 mile radius) and I don't mean your prezzo's , ask , F&B etc... are more or less the same or in fact more expensive than ourselves.£106.00 plus s/c for starters, main courses ,a couple of desserts and your drinks for 6 persons.2./ the service charge is added and is stated on the menu , you do have a right not to pay it if you wish. 3/ most Italian restaurants nowadays do not have Italian girls working in them they are all mostly east European , to me staff have to be courteous , polite and friendly and you certainly get that from ourselves.4/ As for your menu choices perhaps maybe you should have thought it through better when you ordered ,the pasta dishes clearly state what the ingredients are, cream in three of the dishes you ordered for example.GB ,bruschettas to start and pizzas for main courses , I think anybody would feel quite full and bloated after that little lot !! We do not a have a children's menu, however if you had asked we would always and have accommodated for children by doing half portions for them at the very least 5/ atmosphere most of the time is created by having lots of customers in and having it full creates a buzz etc..you were in in the first sitting which wasn't busy and I can assure you it was very atmospheric in the second sitting (look at review posted on the same day as yours)
As for pricing I am more than satisfied that my prices are thought through carefully and are very competitive and certainly do not need reducing !! in fact certain customers have said for what we produce we should be more expensive !!!

I am more than satisfied that we produce food much better than how you described it.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Ate here with my parents and fiancé. Delicious food, large portions, friendly owners, all in all a real hidden gem! Well worth a visit you will not be disappointed!