Rodeway Inn
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Joliet
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This property's now a Rodeway; it converted from a Super8 sometime in early 2014. I'm writing this review in Aug2014.

I've stayed at this property a couple times a year for perhaps the last 10 years, both while it was a Super8 and, recently, as a Rodeway. It appears the same management is in place, as I recognized the guy at the desk (he's been there for as long as I can remember).

Little by little, over the years, this property's become dated and run-down. I can't help but wonder if, with the conversion to Rodeway, it will eventually be refurbished to newer / better standards (I stayed at a Rodeway in Kearney, NE, a few days ago and it was quite nice as "economy" lodging goes; see Tripadvisor's reviews).

As it is today, this Rodeway's not horrible. I would still stay there again. Read on.

The neighborhood's acceptable; I don't consider it to be unsafe. The parking lot's lit well and it's big enough to accommodate the hotel's guests without crowded parking.

The property's readily accessible from the interstate (I-80). It's a 2-story property in a quasi-residential neighborhood.

The room accommodations are fair / poor. But... I've never been bit by bugs of any sort in all the years I've stayed there. It's a place to sleep, shower, and move-on.

I usually get a room on the 2nd floor simply to avoid the noise of having someone trampling above (I do this at all hotels, not just this one).

There are basic amenities nearby, e.g., Bob Evan's, Sam's Club, Steak n Shake, 7-11, and gas stations, but the area's not fancy; the better amenities are west a few miles on I-80 at the next exit. Other amenities are a bit north (1/2mi) of the property, on West Jefferson St. aka US52.

In (very) nearby Rockdale there are a couple of nice neighborhood watering holes, i.e., Shep's and Angie's, located on or near Meadow Ave (see a map). When I'm staying in the area I make a point to have lunch at Shep's. Shep's and Angie's are within walking distance of each other, which allows for a "change of scenery" between libations. Both are an easy drive from the Rodeway on lightly-traveled streets, which is a plus.

If you've time, consider walking the former towpath along the canal (formerly the I&M Canal) in Rockdale, or visiting the lock and dam nearby on the Illinois Waterway / Des Plaines River.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chet B

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Smoke smells, hallway and room. Bedding smelled of body odor. Long hair found in the sheets. Dark dreary hallways. Breakfast area looked decent. But didn't stay the night to find out what the breakfast was like.

Room Tip: N/A, do not stay here.