“Pretty Good Value for the Money; Decent, safe room close to Chicago”
Review of Comfort Inn North

Comfort Inn North
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Joliet
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This hotel is easily accessible from I-55. We called about 4 hotels from the road about 10 minutes out: Holiday Inn Express($89), Fairfield ($74), and Hampton Inn($109). I didn't check Super 8 or Motel 6. This was the best rate, beating Fairfield by a few dollars; since I am a Choice Rewards member we just decided to stay here. We arrive about 9pm and were leaving the next morning for downtown Chicago to visit colleges, so didn't need to be near attractions or amenities - just a reasonably-priced, safe, clean place to spend the night. Free breakfast and free high speed wi-fi were also important in our choice.

They buzz you in as the lobby is locked, which is fine by me. The rooms are all interior doorways which I prefer for safety reasons. The lobby was small and included the breakfast area. Our room was a bit above average in size and was very clean. It showed some signs of age and wear and tear, but nothing concerning or that detracted from our stay. The receptionist was polite and knowledgeable and honored my AAA discount ($71) even though I couldn't dig out my card.

The TV is an old-school "big box", but I really don't care about that as long as it gets my news channels. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels, shampoo and lotion. No conditioner, but I always bring my own just in case. Bathroom had a hair dryer.

The beds were of average comfort - a bit 'mushy" for my liking but not uncomfortable. Pillows were comfortable. You can hear people moving around - not sure if it was in the room above (we were on the first floor) or the upstairs hallway. The air conditioner/heater worked great but there is a distinct difference when it switches off and on which was a little jarring when falling asleep - instead of a gentle white noise, it kicked on with a "whoosh" and then things seemed very quiet when it kicked off.

The breakfast was fine - not great, like HIXpress, but fine and more than adequate - everyone should be able to find something to like. English muffins, bagels, bread for toast, 3 cereals, oatmeal, donuts, cream cheese, butter, jam, peanut butter. They have a waffle maker which is a a nice touch, milk, 3 juices, and plenty of coffee. There was also a big basket of apples. Space was a little cramped but most people are in and out, so no big deal to us.

There was a small-ish indoor pool and hot tub, which we did not use. You probably won't swim laps in it, but it would work if the kids need to burn off some energy after a long car ride.

All in all, this was pretty much just what I was looking for: a decent, safe, clean room near Chicago where we could spend the night without paying an arm and a leg. Comfort Inn seems to be pretty consistent: clean, safe, adequate. Would it have been worth the extra $18 to stay at a HIX? Not sure. Their beds/bedding are typically on the above average side, their breakfast offers a bit more hot choices if you like that, and their bath amenities are very good. I like to save a buck where I can, however, and after a fairly leisurely, late afternoon, drive from St Louis (about 4 hours), this fit the bill perfectly.

Comfort Inn/Choice continues the irritating practice of automatically charging you for the safe in the room unless you remember to tell them you don't want it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Caroline722

Reviewed 30 October 2010

Due to my husband's job, we have been staying a this Comfort Inn every weekend for over a year. During our year at Comfort Inn North we have been lied to and pushed around, the third time was the last. The first time they told us they were booked, and when we called back and hour later we were told "oh we have a ton of rooms left" by a different person. We complained and got no results. The final straw came when we reserved a suite for my birthday, only to show up and learn that we had been moved to a regular room but still had to pay the bigger price. We were told "that is the price, take it or leave it". The staff is rude. The rooms are ok, but not worth what they charge. I will NEVER go to this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank Kassy1975
Reviewed 3 May 2009

There is not an outstanding selection of motels in the Joliet area. This is a nice, yet average facility. The front desk personnel were very helpful. The breakfast buffet leaves a little to be desired.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2008

The wife and I stayed here on Saturday night on a Chinatown trip, using Choice Privileges points reward night. We stayed in the king suite, which I believe just added a microwave/fridge and a sofabed/coffee table along with some extra square footage. The room was well furnished, modern. The bathroom was adequate size, enough for one person, and clean and working. The HVAC was dated but worked adequately. We watched a couple of movies on the free in room HBO. Check in and check out were busy but friendly.

The property and room were clean, with plenty of parking. We enjoyed the pool and the whirlpool around 4:30pm. There was a soccer group staying there at the time, but they were out at the game so we had the pool to ourselves. The hotel was close to a shopping mall, movie theaters and restaurants which we enjoyed. I did some work on my laptop while the wife went shopping. The free wireless internet worked well and the room had two desks.

I found the bed to be comfortable, but my wife did not. I slept soundly, but my wife complained she was woken twice, once by some late night partyers returning to the hotel, although we were on the third floor, and early in the morning some people were standing outside the elevator talking. She is a light sleeper.

The continental breakfast was typical with plenty of bread, pastries, milk, cereal, boiled eggs, juice and a little fruit. Didn't try the waffle maker. Coffee and tea are available at all times. We ate when they opened at 6am to avoid the crowd.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2008

A very nice hotel with ample nearby shopping and dining.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2007

We stayed at this hotel over the Easter holiday while visiting my brother in Plainfield. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable; there is a nice amount of room as well. The breakfast had a nice variety of breads/cereals and all the goodies that go along as well as an endless supply of coffee and tea in the lobby. The pool are is clean and tidy. The parking is easily accessible to the entrances. This location is convenient and you can jump on Interstate 57. There is great mall located right across the street! The wireless internet is fast, fast, fast! We will absolutely stay at this hotel every time we visit!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank travelalltheway
Reviewed 26 September 2006

I was impressed with this hotel. Very clean, very friendly and quiet. I booked this hotel on-line and when I confirmed that I needed a ground floor room because I was traveling with a small dog, the person noticed that I had booked it on-line and gave me a better rate! That is a rare occurence and I was impressed. Will be back on my next trip!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple