“Disappointed: Dirty, Smokey and Noisy”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Joliet
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“Disappointed: Dirty, Smokey and Noisy”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I travel a lot for work, have stayed in many high end and budget hotels, all within the Holiday Inn Group, and I feel disappointed that Holiday Inn group lets this hotel operate as is.

I can tolerate many things, but not filth. The carpets in hallway are dirty, simply too much dirt. Not vacuumed during my stay. Room carpets are stained.

Bathroom had a collection of different types and length of hair. On tub, on floor and toilet. I did not take my shoes off the entire time.

Mattress had stains, including dried blood. At least the bed sheets were stain free. (lift up sheets and look at pad) AC worked well and was quiet. Large flat screen TV and in room fridge.

The room is supposed to be non smoking. It smelled like smoke. I guess that the entire hotel was a smoking hotel at one time and carpets, walls have been penetrated with smoke that there is no way that that odor will come out. I was able to open the window to get some fresh air, but to my luck, I was just above the outdoor smoking section 15 feet from entrance.

Finally, the noise. It is located in front of expressway so obviously you would expect some noise, but that is not the source of noise. One morning at 6am, a loud tour bus was idling in front of the entrance. Next day a semi tractor trailer was warming up at far end of parking lot, revving engine. Small elevator. Low ceilings.

Breakfast buffet had fruit, cereal, eggs, sausage that was cold in center and biscuits that were under baked. Coffee was hot and decent. $7.49.

The only positive I can see is the breakfast staff was hustling and polite, they were working their tail off attending a tour group. A lady called Debbie was FANTASTIC!

Location is convenient.

If you smoke, you will be fine, but Overall, if you have a choice, don't stay here. There are plenty of hotels in area, and I would expect them to be cleaner. And probably cheaper. The Holiday Inn Express down the road is way better, includes free breakfast.

Unfortunately I can't recommend this property and would advice to stay away.

Room Tip: Get a room in back of hotel away from parking lot and expressway. Check under bed sheets.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ORD-TGU
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear TGU-ORD,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to know you appreciated our convenient location as well as our breakfast staff. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment the cleanliness of our property and the noise. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. I sincerely hope you stay with us again in the future so we can show you just how exceptional we can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 21 June 2013

If the corporate overlords knew of the smell that encompasses the room I'm in, no doubt they wouldn't care.... But I do! We have switched rooms twice and all I can say is: Fabreeze. The room wreaks of smoke. As did our other room (hence the request for a change.) I think there is a sad sorry problem with the commitment to housekeeping here. Based on the other reviews, I'm not wrong. I can't wait to sleep (if I can) and get out of here so I can drive home with the windows open, to air myself out.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Atravler1
Holiday-Inn J, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent lodging experience with us. I appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconveniences this caused. Your valuable comments have been noted and shared with our housekeeping management team to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving our services.

Debra

Travellers are raving about these Joliet hotels

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I have never been so infuriated with a hotel in my life. When we arrived, my one-year old daughter came over to me with a beer cap in her mouth that she found on the floor! She is ONE!! She could have choked had I not noticed it right away.

In late afternoon, we decided to go to the outdoor pool. There was probably ten people swimming. The pool had cigarette butts, cheetos, and hair extensions floating in it.

At 9:15, got ready to put my daughter in the crib that the hotel furnished. As I started to lay her down, I noticed the sheet was completely soaked with urine. It had NOT been cleaned since the last person used it!! I called the front desk and they acted like it was no big deal, but they would send a new crib right up. Thirty minutes later, we still had no crib. I walked down to the desk with the beer cap and also a phone picture of the urine-soaked crib. The lady at the desk laughed about it. I told her I really needed a new crib sent up. She called housekeeping and they said they would do it right then. She also said she would give me free coupons to their fabulous restaurant for breakfast because of all the trouble. Twenty minutes later, we still hadn't got a new crib. I called once again...the lady said she would bring the crib up. Finally around 10:30, we got a crib.

In the morning, we went to eat at the "fabulous" restaurant for breakfast. When we got there, we realized that all we were getting was a subpar continental breakfast. The sausage links were cold. There were no bowls for the cereal. The milk was not kept cold. Very disappointing.

I will never stay at this hotel again and wouldn't recommend that anyone else does either.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank daburts
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear daburts,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. We're disappointed to hear that your stay fell below your vacation expectations. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention, to give us the chance to improve future guests' experiences. We always encourage our guests to let us know right away if there are any issues or needs that they experience during their stay with us.

I want to extend my personal apology, and to thank you for helping us improve our hotel and services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

So I prepaid for this hotel on Expedia, so some of this ire is directed at them.

We called the previous day to ask if we could get early check-in. We were told that was fine. We drove all night, arriving at 11:30am to the hotel, where we were told they had only held the two rooms until 11:00am. We then asked what the earliest we could get a room for would be, and told 1:00pm. When arriving back at 1:00pm we were told by the same exact person that it would be at 3:00pm (regular check in time). When I tried to discuss that she told us an hour and a half before that we'd be able to check in at 1:00pm, she got super snooty. Finally getting into some rooms at 2:15-2:30p.

Have no issues with the accommodations; Rooms were updated, clean. Single king with sleeper sofa. Air conditioner fine.

So we grab our trunks after a couple hours of sleep and find the pool...which had not been opened yet (May 22nd). Nowhere was this posted in the lobby or online (both Expedia or the hotel branded website). Complaints were met with derision and sarcasm.

Not planning on staying here again, I'll take the 20 minute drive to Romeoville and stay at the Country Inn & Suites.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank GregTinsley
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear GregTinsley,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are delighted to know that you like our room accommodations. Kindly accept my sincerest apologies for the unacceptable service you have experienced with the staff. Please be assured that we treat this matter seriously and actions will be taken by the management accordingly. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service.

Zelyn N
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I can say this is one of the worst Holiday Inn's I have ever stayed at. The location is ok, parking lot has many semi's parking in it...they shuttle truckers from local companies to the hotel, so a so-so clientele at this hotel...I would not recommend to family with kids....the breakfast buffet was mediocre at best...the bed was old and needed replacement, sagging in middle, caused back pain it was so bad...the hotel is old and not very appealing, elevators are slow, hallways are dingy looking, overall stay an exit over at any of the newer looking hotels....and this is expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BigHarleyDog
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear BigHarleyDog,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the conditions of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Medford NJ
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The property is a bit tough to find ,hidden behind a row of motels. The rooms are updated for basics essentials. he surrounding area has some good restaurants if needed the dinner menu and the staff in the hotel restaurant where very accommodating and professional, I did have a breakfast coupon for breakfast but the line and wait due to the conferences in the hotel eliminated that option.I think I would stay again as a business traveler not really the location for a family stay

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Matt K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Matt K,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This Holiday Inn is not to be confused with the Holiday Inn Express in Joliet, which is the first and only Holiday Inn that shows up upon a Google search. You must enter the full name which includes "conference center" before this location shows up anywhere near the top of first search page. The hotel location is within eyesight and to the north of Interstate 80. Most hotels nowadays are located on side streets off the main drag. So in contrast to previous reviews, I didn't see this as a difficult place to find. The hotel has undergone a major renovation in recent history. Witnesses have told me that this was long overdue and if this new look is an improvement, I can't even imagine how bad it must have been before. When you experience the whole picture, you find yourself wondering if this is still a work in progress. However, my room was clean and updated. The nice large screen television was a nice touch, along with the free wi-fi. I checked in - or tried to check in -- at around 1:30 and although my room was ready, some of the other guests were told that the room would not be ready until 5PM. Come again? Yes - 5 as in 5 o'clock in the afternoon. Holy breakfast bagels Batman....is my hearing going bad? This is Wednesday, and apparently the previous evening saw full capacity so the room cleaning was a bit behind. Here's a tip: If you're not hauling luggage and you are able....take the stairs to your room. The elevators are small and slow. You'll cut your waiting time by two thirds and you'll burn some calories. At an average rate of $100 per night, you might assume that each room had a fridge, a microwave, and free breakfast. You would however be 0 for 3 on those assumptions. The Hamptons and the Mariott's of the world have spoiled us and its to this hotel's benefit that neither of those competitors are close by. The hotel is located close to a variety of restaurants including White Castle, a BBQ joint, Taco Bell, and a 7 Eleven convenience store within walking distance just across the street. We ordered continental breakfast for our conventioneers, and although the staff fell slightly behind in keeping the food line supplied....most the food was very good. The 6 ounce styro coffee cups are very old school and wasteful, but the variety of fresh juices, bagels, blueberry muffins, several choices of fresh fruit, and rolls were a welcome touch and so I have no complaints on that portion of the experience. The staff competency and attitude is strictly average - not something to rave about but not horrible either.This hotel is located scarcely 8 minutes or less from Harrah's Casino. But if you're traveling on vacation, I can only recommend this Holiday Inn as a backup choice if for some reason your first or second choice somehow falls through....which is why we ended up there. Pass this one by for now.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Don D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Don D,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that you had a less than satisfactory visit this time and rest assured your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate departments to consider for enhancements needed at our property.

Again, thank you and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G.