“Brimstone good; let down by leisure facilities.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Langdale
Brimstone at Langdale
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My wife and I stayed for two nights in one of the fireside suites in Brimstone in January this year. The room was fantastic and especially good at the time of year (we were phoned before our arrival to be asked whether we would like the fire lit ready for us; we did, and the staff were happy to supply a new supply of logs whenever). It was snowing on our arrival so the setting and room were perfect in this environment. The lighting choices in the room are a bit faffy but this is only a minor comment and may be more to other peoples' liking. The lounge was good with free wine and snacks (although these should be restocked more often; that said, one of our friends phoned reception for more cheese and it arrived promptly so don't be afraid to ask - the service is good). The only disappointment is that the main leisure and spa facilities are difficult to use or book due to the fact that the Langdale allows other local establishments to use said facilities. It was nigh on impossible to get any spa treatments at short notice. The food in the restaurants was good but not exceptional. So, for accommodation and service I would give Brimstone a five but, over all, I can only offer a four.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Everything was perfect, the surroundings, the lovely helpful staff members really made you feel as special as the rooms you stay in. We will be going back at least once a year, you will be hard pushed to find better in the uk, we celebrated our wedding anniversary here and spent 2 nights, we tried to book more but understandable it was fully booked! Breakfast on the terrace was fab! Everything was perfect!!

Room Tip: We had room 11, fireside suite, I'm sure every room is perfect
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We had two nights in a Fireside Suite. The room was fantastic. Better than some I have paid a lot more for. I just loved it all, so amazing that we immediately tried to book a third night! All the staff were great. There are a lot of extras included in the price such as excellent wine (both red and white) Beer, tea, coffee, lovely sandwiches and scones. Room service was excellent. And the boot room where you can borrow a range of hiking equipment was a big bonus. If I had to give constructive criticism it would be an hotel of this quality needs a top class restaurant attached to it. Whilst the restaurant facilities at the adjacent Langdale Hotel are pleasant, they do not do justice to the Brimstone experience. I believe the owners are trying to sort this out.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be great. Ours was B03 located near the reading room which is where the...
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I took my wife here for a special birthday and we had a great time. The room was fantastic, clean and very modern. Every 'host' that we met during our stay was polite, friendly and very helpful. We had breakfast in our room, which was very good. Just wish we could have stayed for longer. Will be back!

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

My other half booked this as a surprise for our 2 year anniversary.

We were wowed the minute we pulled in to the car park garage and walked through to be greeted by a host.

She showed us to our suite and showed us how everything worked and I loved it.

Open fire was burning a big bath set off to the side and a big patio.

We went to wainwright on the first night and found it very handy that you did not need to carry cash with you as they provide charge cards so everything can be charged to your bill at the end!

We enjoyed a day in the spa which is a little bit dated and not much to do unless you are having treatments. When we arrived at the spa they explained there had been a double booking and that me and my other half could not have our treatments at the same time and one would have to be Saturday and one Sunday. We decided that I would have it and oh wow was it great seaweed wrap! They even knocked 20% off for the mix up.

We then went on the night to eat in the resturant and the food was incredible and nothing was too much trouble! Would recommend the monkfish!

Only mix up was when we got back to our room my other half had pre ordered a bottle of champagne to be in the room waiting and it wasn't but a click of a button and they brought it straight round.

This was the best night of my life the other half got down on one knee in front of the open fire and proposed!!

We will return to this hotel once married and I cannot wait!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I start by confessing that I am old-fashioned, with values like, do what you say you are going to do, and good service is about customer delight...that sort of thing. Yes this place is expensive, and is in some ways worth it if you never wish to leave your room. Brimstone have failed however at meeting expectations. Their unique selling point is the reading room with free drinks and nibbles, which believe me, people get their money's worth from. But I would trade that in a heartbeat for decent service. The Host concept is beyond Brimstone's grasp entirely and should be dropped immediately!!

There is no reception at this hotel, so you have to call to find someone. In doing this you risk that they will talk to you for MUCH longer than is polite when you are on a romantic break, and they won't know the answers anyway - I am talking simple things here like when is breakfast served.

First the good things:
- hot food from room service
- lovely balcony on all the rooms
- that's it really...all the other things are about the lakes themselves and not about this hotel

Now the bad:
- out of the food in the room, the coffee, the crisps and the chocolate were out of date
- I asked for hot water with breakfast and got tea
- I asked for toast on room service breakfast and got none (then had to wait 20 mins)
- the pepper mill on my room service tray was empty
- on check in I was asked if it was our anniversary, and I said it was my birthday, and for the first time in 20 years no gesture was given. I was baffled by this - how simple would it have been to leave a card in the room?!
- apparently Cloudy Bay wine is from Malborough, France - just one of the ridiculous errors in the menus/wine list

Normally, I would write privately to a manager about this sort of thing, but there was such an absence of presence at this hotel that I didn't see the point asking the extremely inexperienced staff to find me someone.

It irritates me that someone has gone to the trouble of coming up with a great concept, but didn't take the time to proof read any of the menus, the staff don't check things are right/in date before they present them to guests, the slippers are recycled and the bath robes are stained. If this basic stuff isn't sorted out, then what could be a loyal clientele will go back to all the other places that just get this stuff and who would be mortified to read this about themselves.

I really hope they can sort this out - first step, fire the 'hosts' who wouldn't know great customer service if it slapped them in the face! It is either in you or it isn't, and unfortunately surpassing or even meeting needs here seems beyond their comprehension.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed for our 10th wedding anniversary in the fireside suite, it was absolutely amazing. Haven't felt so relaxed in a long time and cannot wait to return. The room was outstanding, very spacious and luxurious, very nice elemis products and loved the GHD's as i'd forgotton mine! The reading room is a very nice touch - gorgeous treats and fresh sandwiches, wine etc. We chose to have breakfast in our room, all excellent which we enjoyed in the sun on our balcony in such peaceful surroundings. Enjoyed some very nice cocktails on Hobson's bar - lovely barman very helpful, and hosts are so welcoming without being overbearing. We ate at Wainwright's pub which was just OK - a little slow on the service and we were overcharged which we had to sort out, but all in all a lovely little break.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Langdale
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#4 of 20 in Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Cragwood Country House Hotel

Been to Brimstone at Langdale? Share your experiences!