“Great little museum for Trains; be sure to call ahead”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kankakee Railroad Museum
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Kankakee
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The museum isn't open all the time but they will accommodate you as well as they can. The small little museum is great for kids. My boys loves trains and he always wants to go back. The staff are great. The restoration of the trolley and the train cars are great.

1  Thank BengCh001

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I wish I had seen the reviews on TripAdvisor before we tried to visit the RR museum, then I would have known to call ahead. We were there last year and it was not completely open. We were able to see the room in the depot with the large model train setup but not able to tour the train cars. The men there said the boss had gone out of town and they didn't have the keys. They were very apologetic and told us we didn't have to pay the admission fee but we put in the $ anyway, jokingly told them to use it to get a spare set of keys. It's a small community museum run by volunteers trying to do their best, most likely with limited resources so I give them an E for effort hence my rating of Very Good. An Average rating seemed too coldhearted and I think they should be supported in their efforts. Lesson learned - when visiting small local museums, call ahead.

3  Thank LFL101
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I found out about this museum and knew that I must take my 3yr old Thomas the Train lover and he had a blast, the model train sets and the tour was wonderful. I would suggest it 2 parents with train loving kids like mine or even adults who love model and real trains. The staff 2 was friendly and the tour guide was great and detailed.

2  Thank lovinmommy
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We visited this museum on a Saturday morning. After reading the TA reviews, we called at 10:45 to ensure they would be open for the 11 am - 4 pm time schedule. There were at least 3 docents on hand to answer questions, give tours of the caboose, trolley, and pullman car. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and spent over an hour listening to the docent's first hand experience about trains.The original dishes from many train lines, the printed menus, uniforms, books, and photos are very interesting to view. This museum is run by a local model railroad club and they are very knowledgeable about both the model trains and railroad history. The model train layout is located in one room of the Amtrak station. There are several steps to climb into the trolley and train cars. This was a great visit and the cost was a suggested donation of $2.00 per person. This museum is a great find!

1  Thank Sandy D
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I felt bad for the folks who came up from Paxton to see the train museum with their grandson. This museum is not really a commercial enterprise but a labor of love by the local "Kankakee Model Railroad Club." They are open limited hours thanks to volunteer docent-types, often primarily for field trip groups or birthday parties; we have been there for both and enjoyed them.

The caboose, streetcar, model railroad display and Pullman car are all good, but I would very strongly suggest calling ahead 815-929-9320 before making a trip to Kankakee to visit this attraction. They will be happy to tell you what's going on for the week. It's not realistic to rely solely on the hours provided on the website.

Also, you must be able to go up a few stairs to get into the train cars.

3  Thank KmomChicago