“Dreadful”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in La Grange
Chicago, Illinois
“Dreadful”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

There are many motels in the area, and I have stayed at a number of them. This is by far the worst. As another review pointed out, an early tip-off was the thick safety glass in the lobby, as if this was a currency exchange in a high crime area. I had a two-night reservation. This confused the first person, who right away handed me a "nap rate" form. The second person was not clear what to make of a multi-night reservation either. After about 6 minutes, the third person behind the glass found my reservation. The next big tip-off (of this being, shall we say, a house of ill repute) was that they tried to charge me up front, asking me to sign a bill for the two nights, instead of running the bill at checkout. The furniture in the room was falling apart. As another review said, there were a lot of TV channels. But this included one that, well, let's just say one that could be associated with prostitution.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank FrqntTrvlr321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I ended up at this hotel because my travel plans changed last minute and this was the only place I could find with a vacancy because of a huge convention in town. I took a taxi from downtown Chicago out to this hotel and only an hour had passed from the time I booked and prepaid the room online until I arrived for check in at 10pm. I expected this place would be a little rough around the edges… it was very cheap and the only place in a 50 mile radius with a vacancy but nothing screams 'you've come to the wrong neighborhood' louder than approaching a clerk who is secured behind a 3" thick shield of plexiglass with only a small pass-thru for cash or cards. When I approached the counter and gave my name, the clerk shared with me that the Rodeway website always messes up their bookings and in fact, they had no rooms available. It had to have been clear to the clerk that I'd arrived via taxi and that I was arriving expecting to stay, as she watched me unload my bags and pay the driver who helped me with my luggage. I went thru the expected exchange: what do you mean you have no rooms…?
After several minutes of me explaining that there were no other hotel vacancies and that I just needed a room to crash before my early flight and another few minutes of her apologizing for the Rodeway website mistake she said, "Well we do have a room being cleaned now but it won't be ready for a while." OK. How long is a while? "Fifteen minutes", she said. I felt speechless and really confused but managed to simply say that I would be fine waiting.
The lobby seating was nothing more than basic stack chairs that were setup so that your view was of the front parking lot. Just as I was contemplating why on earth they were cleaning a room at 10pm, I noticed the scrolling marquee just under the big Rodeway sign out front that proudly advertised "NAP RATES and WEEKLY RATES". I guess someone had been “napping” in my room that evening. This also explained why the guys sitting in out front in dirty shirts drinking beer appeared to be living here. Under any other circumstance I would have left running but I was exhausted and just wanted to crash for a few hours before my early morning flight.
Finally the clerk summoned me to the plexiglass wall where she handed me the key and pointed me to my room. There was nothing redeeming about this room with the single exception that the sheets were clean and still warm from the wash. The room had clearly been broken into multiple times as the door lock, door frame, and door jamb were all a twisted and bent mess. It felt very unsafe. Since the door probably could have been opened by pushing hard, I propped a chair under the door for added peace of mind. The carpet was dirty, there were stains on the walls, and the comforter on the bed was threadbare and stained. I've never been in a place that felt so dirty to the core. For a recognized brand hotel, I’m shocked at what passes for acceptable here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank KANDO

Travellers are raving about these La Grange hotels

Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I guess the room was o.k. but I couldnt get over the uncleaness of the room which upset me. Hairs all over the bathroom that weren't mine Im blond these's hairs where black. The carpet in the rooms looked brand new but a walk across it with wet told me if it was new it wasnt being cleaned the way it needed to be my feet where black and I had to wash my feet again and put on flip flops. The sheets literally could have read the newspaper thought them and the bed comforter looked so dirty I took it off. The pillows need to be replaced lumpy and flat. The room either is to cold or to hot. Yes it has an ac but it runs all the time. I only spent a few hours in the room after the show I saw before I said screw it and left. The rooms had the ability to be nice if they would have done a full new job on the rooms instead of stopping halfway. The only staff member that was even nice was Matt on first shift the next morning when I left @6am the lady didnt even look up when I checked out or even say anything. Again this hotel could be a nice one if it had been fixed the right way.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This cute little motel offers great rooms and great prices. Room was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave... Tons of TV stations and music channels with super friendly staff! The front desk lady helped us find a great local restaurant that my whole family enjoyed. This is the best deal in the Chicago area.

Room Tip: Try the Jacuzzi suites! For only $20 more per night its a bargain...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Burr Ridge
Super 8 Bridgeview/Chicago Area
Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge
Best Western Plus Oakbrook Inn

Been to American Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!