“Naval Graduation”

Sleep Inn at Great Lakes
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lake Bluff
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed at the Sleep Inn for my brother's Naval Graduation in August 2013. The hotel is clean and comfy. We had a two-bed room that fit comfortably 4 people. We didn't use any of the added features, therefore I can't really say if they were good or not. The complementary breakfast was not varied (sausage, scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, yogurt and coffee), however there is a McDonalds, a Subway and a gas station walking distance. Also, the diner across the street had good prices (~$10 a plate) and great service. The sailor gets 10% off. The shuttle to the base is $3 per person. We took the 6:00 am trip and we got to the graduation extremely early. Since the sailor only had three guests, they put a big tv in the hotel with the graduation for anyone that couldn't go.

We choose to arrive at the Milwaukee airport because it's smaller and less busy than O'Hare. Since my brother was going to stay for A-School, he had liberty for the whole weekend. We took a taxi (Juan Perea 847-980-4537). We just met him and we loved the service he gave us during our whole trip. It is very hard to find a trustworthy taxi service but Juan was humble and honest with us. He charged $85 from the airport to the hotel. For all of the other places around North Chicago, he had reasonable rates. He helped us understand how the process was going to be like for the sailor and the family during the weekend. He knows the rules and regulations of the base completely. Every thing he recommended, we could confirm later on. We are very pleased with the service and I definitely recommend it!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here for our daughter's Navy graduation on 8/23. The hotel was clean & very close to the naval base. The door to our bathroom wouldn't open or close easily & I did tell them about it but other than that, we had no problems so everything else was fine. The free breakfast was nice. I think we would probably stay here if we ever visit again.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed here for my nephews graduation from the Navy on Aug, 2, 2013, The reviews were mixed, I booked anyway. The hotel was clean, staff helpful and friendly and the best part was that the beds were actually comfortable. I would most definitely stay here again, and recommend to others. The best part was that it was a mile from the Navy base.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The staff replaced our ac unit when it wasn't working with a brand new one. This hotel is nothing fancy, and the rooms are fairly small, but it was clean and very close to the naval base. It was a little expensive, I thought. They do have nice shady grassy areas around the hotel. A nice addition would be some tables and chairs.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Stayed here for my son's Navy graduation on Nov. 30th, 2012. Thought it didn't look to bad by the pic's, but did notice the reviews were mixed. I think that they were high priced especially for the rooms you get. I paid $80.00 a night & would've been better off at the Holiday Inn or LaQuinta & driving the extra 2 miles. It is convenient to the RTC though. The bed was hard as a rock, & I have a bad back so I got the privileges of tossing and turning for the entire 3 nights I was there. The door security jam was broken off in my room which being a single woman there by myself I didn't like. Plus the 1/2 - 1in gap that shined light into my room from the hallway was a bit creepy. There was no bedside lamp so you had to walk across the room to turn out the lights when you wanted to go to sleep. There's a gas station in front of the hotel, and the people loitering about it looked a bit sketchy. I did like the restaurant across the street. It was a better choice for breakfast then the nasty stuff the hotel served up. The TV was an old 20 in that the picture tube was going out in so it was all in black & white. Yes, that's right, black & white TV. So if the show had any night scenes you couldn't see them at all, lol. Oh yeah, the maid service was lacking as well. Instead of giving me clean hand towels they hung my used ones back up, couldn't believe that one. Also, I was on the 3rd floor and they had no vending or ice machine, had to go to lobby for that. Stayed in room 325. And yes, it's in the smoking section. I smoke but don't normally indoors. Thought it'd be a nice change since I don't get to do that anymore. BIG mistake! Would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side facing street are noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BittenAtAshtonInn
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My group stayed three nights last weekend (November 1-4, 2012) for my nieces graduation. We were less then two miles from the Great Lakes Navy Base. The staff were very friendly and supportive of the navy grads and their families. The breakfast was mediocre. The rooms and main areas were clean. The pillows were too soft! Overall, if you are looking for a place that is reasonable priced and close to the base, this is an excellent place!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We've stayed at this location previously as it's inexpensive and close to events in Lake Forest
but it's apparently been a few years.

The hotel is looking like it has been used hard and it's looking shabby.
Sort of true for the current clientele as well.

Mixed smoking/non-smoking. The floor smelled of smoke.
Carpet stained and ratty.

Plastic shower cracked and looking really old.

Lot of people standing around in the parking lot doing nothing. Maybe related to
some sort of cab service that has a window in hotel that I don't remember from a
few years ago.

Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee
3 mi away
Red Roof Inn Gurnee - Waukegan
SpringHill Suites Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Sleep Inn at Great Lakes? Share your experiences!