“Terrific staff and great location”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lansing
Sterling Heights, MI
“Terrific staff and great location”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I was the teaching a class for a local company. When I checked in, Doreen at the front desk asked me the name of the company for which I was speaking. When I told her, she reduced my room rate! I was thrilled. What great service. Fran in the breakfast area/meeting room setup was very courteous and checked on our meeting throughout the day. The manager also greeted me and checked to make sure everything was okay with our meeting room.

Room Tip: There are sleeping rooms on the first floor across from the meeting room - I'd ask for something...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Madison, WI
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here on a Friday night intending to travel to U.S. Cellular Field early Saturday morning for an event. This worked great. Less than half an hour to the field in the morning and much cheaper than staying nearer the city or around Midway. This hotel is newer and was very clean and comfortable. The rooms were well appointed with nice firniture, linens, BIG TV, microwave and refrigerator. Had a restful night's sleep and it was quiet. Nice breakfast buffet. Front desk agent was pleasant and helpful. Great access to/from the interstate with enough restaurants and services around. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I will like to recommend miss Lupe for a higher responsibility. She displayed so much enthusiasm towards me and my clients who spent 2 days at the hotel. Unlike a lady that was at the breakfast corner on the morning of 3/31/13. She needs to go for a training in customer relations. Her reception towards us was not too good. Above all, u guys are wonderful. KEEP IT

• Stayed March 2013
GMHIEXLANSING, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay and staff. We value every guest that walks through our door and value highly the honest feedback we receive. I will take your comments regarding your breakfast experience and take the necessary steps to improve our services in that department. I have also relayed your positive experience with our staff and commended her on a job well done! I'm glad you had a swell time.

Maryland
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We are from Maryland and we already had a Hotel booked about 35 mins West of Downtown Chicago for 5 nights for our vacation during Christmas week. But we were looking for a hotel to stay at for a night so we could go and be close to the Horseshoe Casino. Prices were all over the place. From $52 to $149 a night. Reading some of the reviews on the local hotels and based of prior Holiday Inn Express expericences at other locations we decided to stay here. Upon checking in the woman at the counter was "VERY" nice and friendly. There was chocolate chip cookies out for customers. The outside was well lighted. The inside of the hotel was very clean and organized. Our room was on the 3rd floor. It was very nice and roomy. Have to say it was actually bigger that the room we were currently staying in at the Hyatt. No bad smells in the room or hallways. The busniess was nice size, but only one computer. Free computer usage also. The complimentary breakfast was good. The server was very helpful and courteous. The whole food area and sitting areas we very clean. Based of of what we saw and the time we spent in the room we almost stayed another night, but we didn't since we had the other hotel we were currently staying in. So, kudos to Holiday Inn for striving to be better.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. My apologies for responding to this late. The staff appreicates a good pat on the back and I can't thank them enough as well as the comments we receive from our valued guests such as you. Every feedback is crucial to us delivering the great service that you expect from our hotel and the Holiday Inn Express brand. Thank you once again and please come back and see us.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

To start with, this is supposed to be a smoke free hotel. Don't be surprised if you smell smoke inside. I was placed in a room directly next to someone who the front desk said they knew was a smoker (after the face, of course). Mind you, I have my 5 yr old child with me. Might I add that I was told the hotel was nearly empty so why would we be placed there? The room was ok..nothing superior. Floors incredibly dirty. Pillows all the same although they say "firm" and "soft". There is no difference between them. All are well used and not comfortable. I stayed in another holiday inn express just the night before in PA and had a marvelous stay. It's a shame some owners take hardly any pride in their business. I was told a manager would contact me about the smoke issue but that never happened. I don't know if they're just having a bad night here, but this is awful!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank User1111
GMHIEXLANSING, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Greetings,

I appreciate you giving us feedback regarding your recent stay with us and advising us of the issues you faced. Although we are a 100% smokefree facility and strictly enforce the policy, we are not able to stop someone from smoking. We take the necessary steps to identify the offenders and charge a fee that is appropriate to get the room back to a nonsmoking status. I assure you myself and the ownership is very concerned when issues arise and do not take lightly to resolve our guests concerns. I would like to personally apologize that you and your child had a bad experience at our hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you regarding this matter and assure you that guest satisfaction is our first priority.

General Manger
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 October 2012

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express.
It's very clean and the free breakfast was pretty good. The staff was pleassant and my room was fine and well maintained. The area around the hotel is just ok but theres no need to be concerned reagrding safety.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bob R
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was in the Chicago Suburbs for an overnight business trip and a co-worker had already booked this hotel, and since he was driving, I booked it as well. I am glad he did as it was a great stay.
I grew up in this area and hadn't been here for a long time, but knew it had become rundown since I was young. I had some initial reservations about staying here and thought maybe it was worth the drive to Tinley Park or Merrillville, Indiana instead. However, I quickly realized Holiday Inn knows how to treat its guests.
From the front desk service to the room itself, this hotel really takes pride. We checked in early before heading to our site, and they had one room available for my friend to check in. Mine wasn't ready yet and the desk clerk apologized profusely. I assured her it was okay since we were early, but she insisted on checking me in so I would have the next room available and avoid the process later, even though we wouldn't be back until after 5. When I returned, I got my key and went right up.
The king room was huge and clean. Holiday Inn is really going out of its way to make their hotels as pleasant as possible for businesses and families, alike. Plenty of bathroom soap and towels so I was never in need.
When it came time for dinner, I knew I wanted a Chicago style pizza. The desk had plenty of menus...and coupons...for me to choose from. All in all, great service and will stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank bagsfam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Comfort Suites Hotel - Lansing
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lansing
Red Roof Inn Chicago Lansing
Sleep Inn Hotel - Lansing
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN
Hampton Inn and Suites Munster

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago South Lansing? Share your experiences!