“Busy Bar Atmosphere - Decorated for the Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Firkin

Firkin
Ranked #5 of 93 Restaurants in Libertyville
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Des Moines, Iowa
“Busy Bar Atmosphere - Decorated for the Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Visited here with a friend and her adult son. They had a great beer list with over 30 on tap and a variety of bottled beers as well. They were able to easily meet my request to have the salad with the hot sauce changed to one of their delicious home-made dressings, instead since I'm not into really spicy food. The service was attentive and appropriate. It was a busy Friday night, with the bar crowd and dinner crowd merging about 5:30-6pm. All in all, a good meal and a very good menu. They provide the standard bar fare with a few extras to make the menu a little more diverse. They still had all the Memorial Day decorations up and I heard they decorate for all the holidays. May have to go back when I'm in the area to see what they do for another holiday.

Chicago, Illinois
“Lively atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Always a fun, party feeling at Firkin. Funky, eclectic décor, cool music, twinkling lights—we just like being there. We’ve eaten lunch and dinner at Firkin over the years and have had our favorites. Our most recent food experience was perhaps not as outstanding as on previous visits, but our food was still way above average and we’ll go back again for sure. This time we both had hamburgers. My husband’s was juicy and his fries were good. My burger was grass-fed beef, tasty but a bit dry; that might have been because I asked for it well-done. The beans and rice side was good. And the grilled veggies were very nice. The waiter was not well-versed in what was or wasn’t gluten-free, but he always checked with the chef and made sure our meal was safe healthwise. Service was excellent. We both had our favorite Firkin dessert, a triple chocolate ice cream pie (gluten-free)—or maybe it’s frozen mousse, I’m not sure—really great.

Chicago, Illinois
“Great beer, bad setup/policies ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Firkin is the place to go if you are a beer lover. They have tons of rare stuff and are always changing their taps and bottle selection. You can follow them online to see what new beers they are getting also. They can get some pretty crazy stuff at times that you will not find elsewhere.

Food is a little "foodie" for the more adventurous palate. But I've never eaten anything bad here. Their pork sandwich with green chili is one of my all time favorites. They have some more exotic dishes at times if you are are looking for a less boring menu.

They do have live bands also at times. However, I was in here for over an hour on valentine's day drinking with my gf, and when the band setup and started playing, the bartender had the nerve to demand we pay cover for the band. Even though we were already here for an hour drinking and had no idea of a band coming. We didn't pay and were told to leave the bar. That was enough to make me never come here again.

The real huge issue here is the terrible setup on the inside. It's too long and narrow (that's what she said), and there are never any seats at the bar. You are always stuck standing right in the walkway between the bar and seating area. And if you aren't ordering food, they are rude about you sitting down at the tables just to drink. This policy is ridiculous and is why I can't stand this place. If I'm willing to spend just as much on drinks (if not more $) with my friends and don't want food, let me sit in your tables. Don't make us stand like awkward dummies in no man's land, only to constantly have to move out of the way for the waiters and other people walking around.

I can't even count how many times I was in there standing all night, when right behind me was like 6 open tables. But no, I wasn't able to sit down at the table with my group. And you're never going to find 3-4 open bar seats next to each other, so you'll be standing. It's ok to stop by for a beer real quick, but unless you're ordering food, I would pass. Or if you're just solo you'll probably be able to find a spot at the bar, otherwise good luck. The tavern next door is way better, and I realize they are owned by the same people, but that's a way more relaxing atmosphere.

3 Thank hostman1
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“A top choice in Libertyville”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Firkin is a great place for atmosphere, good food and good drinks. Service is consistently good. Be prepared for a lively and noisy setting.

Chicago, IL
“Great elevated bar food in a fantastic atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Firkin is a restaurant that I have been hearing about for a year or so, and I finally went. The atmosphere is fantastic and is capped off by a fantastic BAR. Lots of beer options, and a nice extensive menu filled with elevated bar food. The sauces are fantastic. Great sides, FF, Lentil salad, Coleslaw etc.

I had a great burger made with grass fed tallgrass beef. It was fantastic. if you are in Libertyville, pay them a trip.