“Nice place for a wedding”

Chicago Marriott Lincolnshire Resort
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Lincolnshire
Reviewed 18 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Lincolnshire Resort for a friend's wedding weekend. The front desk staff was quite helpful in giving out directions to the various events and other local attractions (the hotel is about 20 miles north of Chicago). Rooms were typical Marriott quality, nothing especially fancy but in good repair and quite clean.
The hotel offers both indoor and outdoor pools, a decent gym, a pretty golf course, and a decent restaurant and bar. The only knock against the hotel is that it is definitely geared towards large events like conventions and weddings. It is a sprawling facility so there is no sense of the intimacy that I prefer in a hotel and I would not recommend it for a peaceful weekend getaway. But in terms of being able to handle large events the hotel succedes tremendously. On the night of our friend's reception, there was another wedding going on in another part of the hotel. Despite having 2 parties with 200+ guests each, the service was very good, the food came out hot and tasty, and the parties did not seem to disturb each other in any way.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 September 2008

I stayed here for 3 days while attending a meeting. The hotel is somewhat confusingly laid out and the frequent "You Are Here" maps are occasionally misleading (I guess they need to post the maps because of the unusual layout!)

During my 3 day stay, I had hot water on only one occasion. At first I thought that the hot water unit dedicated to my room wasn't working at all, but this was not the case because the water occasionally got a little warm. Therefore bad design must be blamed. The hot water heaters cannot cope with the "rush hours" of morning and early evenings.

You need to pay $2.95 to buy a code in order to use the internet on the computers in the business center. The $2.95 supposedly buys an hour of browser time, but if you don't use the entire hour at once, you lose the balance of time! This is not only irksome bordering on dishonest, but is a ridiculous bit of nickel and diming!!

I give the hotel credit for the numerous trees on the property, especially in the parking area.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 10 September 2008

As part of a group planning a convention for next summer at this resort, I stayed at this property while we were ironing out some details. My room was clean and large enough for me by myself, but may have seemed small if I had brought my family along. They charge extra for internet access, so we avoided that. I had a 2nd story room near some of the conference rooms, which was quite convenient. The conference rooms were not cleaned properly each night, but a quick call to the front desk and the staff came promptly. The indoor swimming pool was wonderful. Our group also used the order-ahead lunch menu each day and found this to be very helpful to us. Tasty food, promptly prepared, and not overpriced. Overall, the hotel could use with some upgraded lighting and paint, but it's clean. The hallways are quite long, so if you have trouble walking, make sure to request a room near the elevators.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2008

Planned to attend a conference held on the Resort's property January 25, 2008. I called and confirmed a reservation, via credit card, directly with Marriott Lincolnshire, told them I was planning on attending the conference. Well, 3 days prior to conference I receive a call, yep, overbooked and guess what, I'm out!!

So, I'm walked over to the cut-rate Marriott Courtyard yet they expect me to pay the same room rate as I had for the resort.

I will never, ever return for any reason to the Marriott Lincolnshire!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank timp58
Reviewed 12 January 2008

We stayed at the Marriot Thanksgiving weekend for a youth hockey tournament. We only had a couple of choices of hotels, and I think this was the nicest by far. We got a decent rate through the tournament, but not spectacular. There were a couple other teams staying in the hotel, but it didn't seem to be crowded or noisey.

We had a first floor room with a small patio set outside. It would have been nice for an evening overlooking the golfcourse, but being from Dallas, it was just too cold to sit outside. There were security guards in the halls at night...we assumed they were there to keep the hockey players in line and in their rooms.

The rooms were standard hotel rooms and did include a mini-fridge in the armoir. We had a preschooler and middle schooler with us, so a little more floor space would have been nice, but it was livable for four nights. The indoor pool was clean and warm with plenty of towels on hand. If you are up for a morning run, there is plenty of open space available right outside your door.

The walls were a bit on the thin side and the hotel could use a general updating. The breakfast buffet was extremely overpriced, as were the other meals/restaurants in the hotel. Thankfully, there was an Original Pancake House across the street that is a safe bet in any city. The nearest Starbucks seemed very far...maybe close to two miles. The hotel was quite a hike out of Chicago proper and from Midway airport. O'Hare was relativly close, but there was construction to contend with.

While it wasn't the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in for a hockey tournament, we would certainly stay there again if it were a choice.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 1 January 2008

I stayed for 5 nights with my teenage daughter in August 2007 for a convention (got a very good convention room rate). We got a 3rd floor room (maybe due to being Silver Elite Marriott?). Heard a bit of door slamming now and then but overall the room was quiet, overlooked a parking lot but did not get much noise from the outside (except during a major thunderstorm one night!). Beds and bedding were very comfortable. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful, never had to wait long for assistance. We got room service several times, no issues there.
My only big complaint would be the service in the coffee shop. They seemed understaffed and poorly trained. For example, you should not have to wait for and ask for morning coffee in a coffee shop, one person should be circulating with hot coffee and offering it regularly (lots of people are addicted to that morning cup or two, me included). And if the breakfast special comes with a beverage, a beverage should be offered right away, we had to ask. Ketchup should always be on the table right away if you order potatoes (hash browns or fries). The service was pretty slow at breakfast also. We never got the breakfast buffet, this seemed too expensive. Some of the wait staff acted irritated with simple requests, others were OK at their jobs but no one seemed very happy. I expect better from Marriott food service.
Also, this hotel is away from it all. We had to take a cab to the train station, then take the train to downtown Chicago. Allow at least 1.5 hours each way, plus the added costs for travel. Note that some cabbies took more direct routes than others, resulting in additional cab costs at times. Enjoyed the double decker tour bus in downtown Chicago, great tour guides.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank TerriM
Reviewed 4 August 2007

Hotel is very outdated and some of the staff is very mean. ON a friday night it seemed like they have about 20 security guards not making me feel very secure, every corner you turn they are there. Security manager seemed like an idiot after i complained.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank robert543
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnshire
Courtyard Chicago Lincolnshire
SpringHill Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago Lincolnshire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lincolnshire
Staybridge Suites Lincolnshire
La Quinta Inn & Suites Bannockburn-Deerfield

Been to Chicago Marriott Lincolnshire Resort? Share your experiences!