“Surprisingly wonderful”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lisle
Tampa, Florida
“Surprisingly wonderful”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Saw all kinds of negative reviews for this hotel, got a great price, and went. What a pleasant surprise! Room was clean, no smell. Refrigerator in room for personal use, also a microwave which we don't need but I don't know why hotels don't promote the availability of a personal refrigerator. The bed and bedding were high class and comfortable. Bathroom had a bathtub, which many hotels don't have anymore. Also, a long counter in the bathroom around the sink so plenty of room to put things. Lighting is warm - not the cold fluorescent feeling bulbs in so many hotels. This place does have the old "under the window" heater/air conditioner - not sure how they are going to "fix" that but it did not bother us. The lobby needs updating but our room was great: don't know what other people are complaining about? Also, I accidentally dropped an earring down the sink the last day and someone from the hotel was able to find it and return it to me so thank you so much! Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a fun view from a higher floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dmitriy_Khimchak, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Lisle Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear JMamajan
Thank you so very much for your great and wonderful also amazing feedback. With the new staff in place and the new and upcoming renovations we hope to receive nothing but great feedback from all our guests. I wanna say a personal thank you and as well as the staff, for giving us our first great feed back on tripadvisor. Also I'm glad we were able to retrieve your earring as well. We hope to see you back very soon to enjoy all the new things the Sheraton will have to offer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I'll start with the positive so that I don't seem like a crazy ranter. The room seemed clean and was of adequate size.
Here's my story: I won a raffle to stay for one complimentary stay, at this hotel last year. This year, I booked my stay months in advance, directly with the front desk. When I got there, the day of, they had lost my reservation and the woman at the front desk seemed to not want to work with me. I had a confirmation number and she looked at me like she couldn't have cared less! Anyway, I did get a room after all that, but they took my credit card for a deposit. Guess what? They charged me over $120! For a complimentary room. It even stated "complimentary" on the receipt!!!
In the meantime, there are allegedly 3 places to dine in the hotel. When we got to one of the restaurants at 7:30 p.m. both restaurants were closed. When we asked why, we were told it was after hours. AT 7:30!!! Luckily, the L lounge served food (with exTREMEly bad service and quality of food). The next morning, we assumed we'd be given at least a yogurt and a bagel for breakfast. Luckily, we had the foresight to ask before we loaded up our plates with the buffet--they charged $17 for breakfast!!!
It has been over a month, and I'm still waiting for my refund. I've called and called and left multiple messages with zillions of people. They couldn't care less about their patrons. Thumbs down!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Emily T
Dmitriy_Khimchak, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Lisle Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Emily T

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience you encountered while staying at Sheraton. We are currently going through a transition of changing brand names. We have updated our systems and also brought a whole new team on board, to better the stays of our future guests. We will also be doing a major update on the property. I apologize again for your billing still not being resolved if you can please contact me at the hotel. I will resolve the issue immediately. Thank you for your review and do hope to see you back at the property.
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This room was ok when I first walked in, but I noticed how dirty the floor was right away and there was a bulge in the carpet that I actually did trip over in the middle of the night. The remote control didn't work and I couldn't remove the cover to check the batteries. When I did stand to change the channels the digital channels had such a delay I did deep knee bends in between changes - there was no channel guide so I could never find the main network stations. The analog stations were so grainy, they weren't worth watching.
The bed was very comfortable however, because I was able to fall right to sleep, but that was short lived because I could never get the heater to work correctly. I set it to heat low and set the temperature to 70 and it would get so hot, I kept getting up to set it lower. I set it to 65 and even set it to auto and it would just be so hot. Then I'd kick off all the covers and it would be so cold. No happy medium. So despite the comfortable bed I could never get fully comfortable.
The bathroom door looked like it had scratches from a dog trying to get out, kind of freaky. The toilet had this gauge in it at the bottom. And the sink looked like it was beat up. I kept thinking, "This is the Sheraton, right?" I really thought they were supposed to be decent hotels.
The water pressure was great if you had the shower set where not all of the little holes had water come through, otherwise you lose the pressure.
Finally, while blow drying my hair the dryer started smoking and filled the bathroom with smoke, which I quickly unplugged and threw on the counter.
When I told the hotel reception she said her manager wasn't in until after I was checking out and asked me if I wanted compensation. I said no - but truly it probably should have been offered at least instead of asked of me.
Unfortunately my company wants us to use this hotel when we go to our corporate office. I think I'll pick my own place and just pay on my own next time.

Room Tip: My room was also right by the highway and was extremely loud. Which got worse in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pamela B
Dmitriy_Khimchak, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Lisle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We apologize for the annoyance and inconvenience that you may have endured. The hotel is actively working on improving the service levels and personal appearances with in the hotel.your feedback has proved to be invaluable. I personally went with an engineer and inspected the pool area too see what the issue might have been. We will be renovating the Pool area plus our 2 racket ball rooms and updating our state of the art fitness facility. We appreciate all the feedback whether its negative or positive. If you are in the area I do hope you consider Sheraton for your next stay.
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed only one night but that was one too many. Rooms smelled musty and stale, I changed from a regular room to a suite but it didn't help.

Room furniture is horrible, carpet is nasty, wallpaper peeling off the walls, yuk yuk yuk. I didn't even want to sit down more or less sleep there but the bed was surprisingly decent.

I agree with the previous comment about the pool, my kids were disappointed because the water was so cold they couldn't swim and the jacuzzi has been filled in, I'd love to know why. What a waste.

I guess there's a reason the room is only $99. Drive 10 minutes East & stay at the Westin. No comparison.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sandiegomo
Dear Sandiegomo

It's unfortunate to hear that your stay with the Sheraton in Lisle was unpleasant. The day you were staying at the hotel we were experiencing issues with the heating and deeply apologize for that. I want to insure you that our pool is up and running at 82 degrees. With the new upcoming renovations. We are also updating the rooms, since we are still a full service hotel and try very hard not to inconvenience our guest. We are forced to work at a slower pace. Next time your in town I do hope you give us another chance to show you the full benefits of staying with Sheraton.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I had issues with the room (noisy heating unit, broken faucet handle and no shampoo in the bathroom) and the front desk and manager didn't handle my feedback well. It's a shame because the property itself has potential.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Lisle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate the feedback. With our upcoming Property Improvement Plan beginning, we will be able to fix all issues with the property that we had to take on after taking ownership in October 2013. If you are in the area again, please consider us for your lodging needs and again, thank you.
Chicago
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed overnight (22 feb14) for a KofC event. First the bad: brought the kids and was really looking forward to the indoor pool. Unfortunately the pool room was cold and the water was VERY cold. I know it just wasn't us because other guests were complaining the same thing. We swam maybe 5 min. before my kids couldn't take it anymore. Later that night when we started to settle down for bed the fire alarm went off. Everyone shuffled down the stairs and waited in the lobby. I know it wasn't the staff's fault for the alarm- but they could've at least took charge and explained to the confused guests what was going on and what to do next. The Alarm was shut off and after about 30 min. everyone started going back to their rooms. Again no direction from staff. I am a first responder so I knew to somewhat hang out by the front desk. Again in situations like this people need direction/ guidance. It is important for a mob of people to feel at ease other wise it could get potentially ugly. I still don't know what happened but I guess it was a false alarm? I understand it was a big convention but parking was terrible. Whoever does their snow removal didn't do a very good job. There were a lot of spaces that could've been used if plowed correctly.
The good: the rooms were very clean. The bathrooms were up to date and the beds were comfortable. Their breakfast buffet was a 7/10. Friendly staff, good variety and everything seemed fresh. They have a large workout/gym room with ample weights and machines. I would stay here again with the kids ONLY if I knew the pool room and water was about 15 deg. warmer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cpdr1
Jessica S, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Lisle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
I would first like to thank you for what seems to be a very honest review. I would also like to apologize for the issues that you had with your accommodations. With us taking ownership of the property as well as our transition from a Wyndham to a Sheraton in late October, we have unfortunately had to inherit many pre-existing issues brought on under the previous management company. We will definitely take your suggestions such as raising the pool temperature into consideration during our Property Improvement Plan which should be put into place sometime this year. I am pleased to hear that you were extremely happy with your sleeping room cleanliness. Our housekeeping staff really does go the extra mile when it comes to making sure the rooms are spotless.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The Sheraton Lisle is in a superb location along the I-88 corridor in the Naperville area. It's a fairly large hotel with 8 floors and with several hundred rooms. As you enter the hotel, it's a bit awkward since the entrance does not face the parking lot like most suburban hotels. You'd have to park off to the side and walk to the entrance which faces the main road.

The hotel has all of the typical amenities, gym, pool, executive lounge, restaurant, etc. The front desk people are nice and friendly. It's eerily quiet in the hotel. I'm not sure if it's a occupancy issue or just a slow week since it is President's day.

As a Starwood Preferred Platinum, I've stayed in my share of Sheratons. They tend to be mixed quality. Many times, they are a bit dated and lack the renovation and upkeep. This is one of those cases. The hotel lobby is nice and clean, not fresh, but nice. The elevators are showing signs of age as it makes mysterious noises as it ascends to the higher floors.

Once in the room, it's clear they don't have a deep cleaning process since there were many stains on the carpet. The furniture was nice but a bit dated. One thing that bothered me the most throughout the hotel was the strange and slight odors. It wasn't obnoxious, but enough that makes you question the cleanliness of the hotel. They should have an ozone treatment plan for the hotel.

Once up to my room, the door lock was difficult to navigate. It was an older style key card lock and it took many tries to get it to open. Even after multiple days of stay. The housekeeping was fine. It was clean except for a few missed a few items: Empty bag for white socks in the dresser drawer, used face towel under the sink cabinet, one of those tag holders for clothes on the counter. They really need a housekeeping supervisor to check to rooms once they are cleaned.

This hotel also has the window mount heaters. Typically I see these in the econ class of hotels like aLofts, Courtyards, Hampton Inns, etc. This hotel has them. They are loud and blow hard when on. Might affect people's sleep.

For the TV, the channel section is a bit odd. They are lacking my standard background noise news cable channel, but they have a bunch of other odd channels. They need to stick with the main business channels if they want to cater to the business crowd.

Finally, the bed in the hotel was very comfortable. The linens are soft and clean. You can tell they are fairly new. It was the highlight of the stay.

In all, the hotel quality is mixed and also reflects a bit lower room rate than many hotels in the area. I chose it mainly for the Starwood. The next closest is in Lombard, which is 15 minutes east. It's definitely worth a try if you are looking for an affordable mid-range hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Jessica S, Manager at Sheraton Lisle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the honest opinions of our guests whether positive or negative and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. With us taking ownership of the property as well as our transition from a Wyndham to a Sheraton in late October, we have unfortunately had to inherit many pre-existing issues brought on under the previous management company. I do apologize for this inconvenience. We are addressing the issues that you brought to our attention. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our goal and we are thrilled to hear that you received the service you deserve as a valued guest.

Again, I'm sorry that there were a couple of issues during your stay. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lisle
Hilton Lisle / Naperville
Hyatt Regency Lisle near Naperville
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago-Naperville
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Lisle
Chicago Marriott Naperville
Chicago Marriott Naperville
#6 of 18 in Naperville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Naperville

Been to Sheraton Lisle Hotel? Share your experiences!