“Did not actually get to try the restaurant”
Review of Praga Restaurant

Praga Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 190 Restaurants in Lombard
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We had a terrible experience at this restaurant. We attempted to make a Friday evening reservation on Tuesday evening - we got a recording that said they would call us back - they never did so we called again on Thursday for a 7:30 reservation on Friday. We (4 of us - 2 friends drove in from Chicago) arrived at 7:28. No one met us at the door and as we walked through the restaurant we saw two empty tables set for 4. When we finally found the check-in, the lady informed us we would have to wait just a few minutes while they got our table ready. She told us to go over to the bar and order something to drink. We sat down at a table near the bar and waited - no one approached us. Finally we asked a man ( who looked and acted in charge) how to get a drink. He threw a drink menu on our table and suggested that we just eat at that table. We nicely informed him that we had reservations for the dining area - he told us that the food was the same. He did not return to take our drink order, so I attempted to approach the bar. The bartender then left the bar. I asked two different waitresses how to get a drink as they walked by our table - they each said that the bartender would serve us. I again attempted to approach the bar as the bartender had returned. I could not get her attention. By now it was almost 8 PM, A server approached our table near the bar and informed my wife that it would be at least a half hour until we could be seated as other people with reservations were in front of us. At this time the man who had given us the drink menu approached the server and grabbed her by the arms and pulled her away from speaking with my wife and informed the server that her job was to wait on tables. At that time we decided to leave the restaurant. I felt we were treated very rudely. We drove over to Volare - an Italian restaurant where we were treated very nicely and had great food and a wonderful server - who made us feel very comfortable and turned a terrible evening dining experience into a wonderful evening. My wife has since called Praga - we were informed that the man was the owner and when we told them how disappointed we were - they tried to put the blame on us for talking to several waitresses. I am very disappointed and I will never try this restaurant. I cannot rate the food or value - but the service and atmosphere are the worst - I have never walked out of a restaurant before.

6  Thank YorkFBCoach

Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

The food and service at Praga are consistently exceptional. Their seasonal specials are always great - but if you can't make up your mind, try the duck. It's phenomenal! In the summer, they have a number of tables outside for outdoor dining.

1  Thank ChrisfromChicago
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My brother took my wife and me to this restaurant a couple days ago. They're regulars, and they love it. Deservedly so. For starters, I had the mushroom soup. Absolutely the best mushroom soup I've ever tasted. My wife had a cream of asparagus soup, which was also outstanding. My main course was a spinach and feta stuffed ravioli. Again, it was wonderful. The owner waited on us. The service was great and friendly. I just really didn't find anything to criticize. We'll be going back the next time I visit my brother.

2  Thank RBWCSW
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Usually, this is exactly the kind of restaurant I like to frequent. I can see the care that goes into the food and atmosphere. Last time I was there, I started with the goat cheese and carmelized onion tart, which is wrapped up in a phyllo and is very good. For the main, I had the scallops special, which had a good variety of ingredients. For dessert, I had a chocolate cake, which was just ok. The quality of the food was overall very good, which I have come to expect from Praga. The only problem I have had with the restaurant is something that has now happened several times. I tend to go early so I don't have to worry about getting a table. There usually isn't more than one or two other tables there when I arrive. What is there, though, is a very noisy kitchen. The yelling and swearing that goes on back there is quite unprofessional. Perhaps I need to get there later so that the noise in the dining room drowns it out.

1  Thank TravelinT7
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We have been here several times over the years. The service is always excellent, along with the food. Their specials menus is mostly their fresh fish options and are a MUST try. The cream of mushroom soup with sherry is one of my favorites. Lively atmosphere, not stuffy, good for conversation. Excellent bar and wine list. A restaurant worthy of a special occasion or to just 'drop in' and have an appetizer and glass of wine.

2  Thank glenellynguy