“Overall nice hotel”

The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Lombard
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Nice hotel lobby. Friendly employees. Nice rooms, comfortable beds. The only thing that was wrong is that there was someones left over food box in our refrigerator so we called housekeeping and they apologized and cleaned the fridge for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
WLYC, General Manager at The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Camille,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted you found the hotel and lobby appealing and our associates friendly. I am pleased housekeeping was able to refresh your in-room refrigerator effortlessly.

We would welcome the opportunity accommodate you again.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This was by far the worst Westin I have ever stayed at and I have stayed at Westin's around the world. First we had received a handicapped room which was not needed and should have been saved for someone who needed it. The lights to the smoke detectors blinked all night long for 3 nights and I complained at the front desk and they told me this " was normal". I have stayed here in the past and that was not the case. Also I had to get new keys at the front desk and I specifically asked that the Starword preferred level was attached to my keys and of course when I went to that level they did not work! The air did not work at all untill we complained 3 days in a row. The beds were not " Heavenly" at all. They were typical hotel beds. It didn't matter if you complained because management did not care. Worst Westin I have ever stayed at!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
WLYC, General Manager at The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Allison,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel dring your recent stay. Please accept my apologies over your dissatisfaction with our associates and the service they provided you.

If you would like discuss your experiences in detail, I urge you to contact the hotel and speak to our front office director.

Stay well.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

While there were some nice aspects of the hotel, for a Westin, I expected more. The quality of service varied based on where you were in the hotel. Both at check in and check out I felt simply as if I was being "processed" with no social interaction from either person. The staff in the 18th floor concierge club were, for the most part, pleasant. The cleaning staff were the most helpful and approachable staff we encountered. On that note, I felt our room was cleaned quickly and the little things that you like to see when you walk into a room were missing. The beds were made, but not pulled tight and were wrinkled. One of the beds' sheets had black marks on it. The door the large entertainment piece fell off when I opened it. The bathroom was clean, but was showing signs of age and again, a "quick cleaning". The location is convenient to Yorktown, Oak Brook, and all of the restaurants in the area. I simply expected much more from Westin

Room Tip: Higher Floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hello,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your observations.

I am pleased to hear you found the majority of our associates to be helpful and pleasant. I am sorry you felt rushed or as if you were just being processed at check-in. While many guests prefer to check-in and get relaxed in their room as quickly as possible, we should be able to tell if a guest may need a more personalized type of service.

At any time during your stay if you encounter any items which need to be repaired please do let us know – we would be more than happy to have someone renew the item immediately.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have stayed in some dumps. The Westin is not a dump, just a big, impersonal, charmless hotel that lacks basic amenities. It exists to serve an unending stream of conferences, and I assume it promotes itself to convention organizers as "cheaper than Chicago."

Well, here's my advice to convention organizers: there's a reason you're paying less in Lombard. Bite the $ bullet and head toward the lake.

If you're an individual traveler and you're staying in Lombard because you have relatives or friends here, my advice is the same as above. Stay in Chicago proper with its terrific restaurants and endless amusements. The Westin is not the place for you, and your friends will have an excuse to get out of the burbs.

If you, like me, are stuck at the Westin because your convention organizer fell for their group sales marketing pitch, here's what you'll find:

* Modestly appointed rooms with comfortable beds. Yay for the beds. That's where my praise ends.

* No coffee shop. We had to cross the parking lot to get to the Starbucks in the Target. In fact, we all made multiple trips to the Target every day, and I am not a Target fan. The Westin should be getting a kickback

* Expensive restaurants/bar that close at a ridiculously early hour. Our last night, we were planning to bring in a small party for drinks and, even though it wasn't closed, we were told it was "too late." The prior night, other members of our group had to leave the bar at 10 pm when it closed.The bartender told us there was another bar down the road that's open until midnight. Yes but...

* The Yorktown area is not exactly walkable. The hotel is ringed by wide roads with fast cars. And when it's 30 degrees and the wind is blowing at 30 mph --this is April -- even walking across the parking lot to the Target for coffee is an endurance exercise.

* Ah, but they have the shuttle! We did use the shuttle one night to get to a restaurant -- less than a mile away, but across inhospitable territory in the cold darkness. The outgoing shuttle -- no problem. The return shuttle: required multiple calls to the Westin. They repeatedly assured us they were on their way. We waited outdoors in freezing temps for 40 minutes for a trip that took exactly two minutes.

* Our conference included a banquet one night. When we told them that we were vegetarians, the manager let us know, not too nicely, that he'd prefer escapees from a leper colony. You'd think people in this profession would be a little bit flexible? Or maybe learn that there are nice ways to say no, and nasty ways to say no? Kudos to the servers who brought us the veg alternatives after management shot us down.

* Back to the room. $10/day charge for meh wifi. No refrigerator -- just a box. Yes, there's a place to get ice, but nothing to put it in. A pen in the room, but no scratch paper.

* Bathroom. Tiny bottles of shampoo/conditioner -- not enough for your roommates too. And -- speaking of roommates -- there's no fan or window in the bathroom, so you may want to time your bathroom forays accordingly. It's impossible to shower without getting water all over the floor. We tried. And if you like your showers really hot, well, guess what?

So, bottom line, here's what you've got. Ugly hotel in a location that's not worth visiting. A place that is sacrificing amenities for the sake of keeping costs as low as possible. And charging top dollar for everything extra, and almost everything is extra. (A member of our group was hungry at night and ordered a sandwich that was $20. He went downstairs to get it because they would have charged more to deliver it. It was not an impressive sandwich.) Somewhere, the MBAs are smiling. But you, dear traveler, should consider your choices carefully before booking here.

Room Tip: Head east to Chicago.
1  Thank EmanneercsAllowed

Hello,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry the hotel and the surrounding area were not to your satisfaction.

We will speak to the restaurant management regarding their hours; this is something that will have to be considered by the restaurants and their department heads. As always, Starbucks coffee can be brewed in all our guest rooms.

Bath amenity sizes are not determined by individual hotels. There is a specific distributor which is used by Westin Hotels Worldwide, as directed by our management company. If additional items are needed please do call Service Express and we would be more than happy to have more delivered to your room.

During events our servers do have a limited amount of vegetarian dishes. This is something that can be taken care of prior to the event by making requests directly with your meeting planner. By the meeting planner having this information the hotel will be more prepared during your banquet and be able to provide a more efficient delivery of dishes.

I do apologize for the distress you encountered with our shuttle – the shuttle does make runs to the area within 5 miles and may have had other guests to attend to during this time.

We would be happy to follow up personally with you if you would reach out to our manager on duty at any time.

We do wish you well in all your future travels.

Be Well.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

As always with the Westin, the bed was really comfortable. Check in was good, but when I went to check out at 6am I was left standing there for about 5 minutes (while the airport shuttle was waiting) for someone to appear to do the checkout. I understand it was really early but I couldn't find a drop box to leave my room keys or any sort of express check out option. No tea in the room, just coffee. The bathtub was tiny - very shallow and when you were sitting in the tub you could see all of the plumbing for the sink. Really odd that they don't have a cupboard or something there to cover all of the plumbing. One of the taps made a loud noise when you turned it on. The room was decent but not the standard you usually get at a Westin.

The food was good at the hotel restaurants, but the service was terrible. Always a long wait for everything. And I agree with the other reviewers that it's time for 4 star hotels to stop charging for internet when every 3 star hotel is offering it for free.

The people I want to give to credit to are the shuttle bus drivers. It was a big conference and they did an outstanding job of getting us around. They took me to a martial arts gym in downers grove to train, and picked me up at the end of the class, even though it was out of the way. 2 thumbs up to the shuttle bus team! Conference attendees had nothing but great things to say about them and the level of service they provided.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
WLYC, General Manager at The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hello Kerry,

I appreciate the time have taken to share your observations with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your total experience was not to your satisfaction. Feedback is welcomed and your comments will be used as a value tool to help us improve.

Stay well,

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights for a convention this week. I'm now at the Embassy Suites because the Westin didn't have a room for a 6th night. I wished I would have booked the ES for the whole week. Nothing was over the top but for what you pay at the Westin, I expected more.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you for choosing to stay with as we welcomed many guests during this time frame. At Westin, it is always our goal to have you leave more relaxed, invigorated, and energized than when you arrived. I am sorry we were not successful in doing so.

We do wish you well in all you future travels.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great job! Alisha and Kacie at the front desk did a great job with all my requests. They graciously moved me to a bigger room with a smile. Even thought there was a big conference being held in the hotel, it was still pretty quiet in the rooms. The rooms themselves were very nice. I'd definitely stay there again.

I only wish hotels (not just this one) would figure out how to get the correct aspect ratio for the standard definition stations on the tv. The image was all squished (people look 40 lbs. heavier than they actually are) and the remote offered no way to fix it. Again, most hotels are like this, so I don't really blame the Westin.

Hello,

Thank you for the great review.

I do hope you had a wonderful time while visiting with us. Our associates pride themselves on the great personal service they deliver; I know Alisha and Kacie will appreciate your recognition.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Mike Feigenbaum

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lombard
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Lombard Oak Brook
Le Meridien Chicago - Oakbrook Center
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago Oak Brook Suites
#1 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
The Hyatt Lodge at McDonald's Campus
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove

Been to The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center? Share your experiences!