“A lovely lunch in Long Grove” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Chicago, Illinois
“A lovely lunch in Long Grove”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I had the chance to visit Long Grove with a group of girlfriends. We decided to visit the Cedar Grill for our lunch stop. I had a coupon from Restaurant.com so I did a little research before we went. I have to say we had a delightful and delicious lunch. Because it was an early summer day, we settled on salads and we were not disappointed. I had the Cobb salad and it was exceptional. Some of my friends also had the spinach and mozarella salad and they ate every last bite. Tom, the owner/manager was our server and recommended many dishes. We all enjoyed what we had. As my friends and I visited, Tom brought out a serving of the restaurant's bread pudding for us to try. I have to confess I am not a bread pudding fan but this dish was AMAZING. We ate every last bite plus all the delicious carmel sauce. If you go there, you MUST order it.

Some of the critiques have mentioned the slowness of service so I just want to say, if you are looking for a speedy meal you may not find it yet at the Cedar Grill. But if you want to savor a delicious meal and take your time visiting, then the Cedar Grill is a lovely spot to eat before enjoying the ambience of Long Grove. We had a great time and hope to go back soon.

• Visited June 2012

Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“A very average restaurant with an incomplete menu.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I do not recommend this place. The food is average. My salmon and my wife's steak were overlooked. The menu is extremely limited. There are only 4 appetizer choices, and lite variety in the menu.

They had only one other table filled on Friday night at 7pm, and yet they were out of spinach so I couldn't order the spinach salad. Come on. If your menu only has 8 items on it besides the main entrees, you can't be out of stuff.

This place won't make it long.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank streltsy
Arlington Heights
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Was pleasantly surprised by the Cedar Grill. Staff was wonderful, and the chef went out of his way to make something that was not on the menu. Normally we would eat lunch somewhere outside the Village of Long Grove, (most places there are mundane), so it was a treat to find this place. The only problem I see is if you are not shopping at the store next door you wouldn't even know it was there. The village or owner should put up a sign out on the street to generate more business.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Guy L
Long Grove, IL
“great food, nice to have a place like this in the area.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Had dinner, salmon was excellent. highly recommend this place.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank droller5
midwest
“Will definitely go again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

This is a new restaurant. I was also lured in by a nice gentleman handing out flyers. It worked out wonderfully because it was the day after Thanksgiving and the Long Grove Cafe had a 2 hour wait. I walked in and asked if he could handle 12 and to my delight he made it happen. We ate on the 2nd floor with adults and 4kids ages 6-11. We had a great time. Service was definitely slow but, it was crowded and the restaurant was very new so we were not bothered and thrilled that someone could accommodate a group of 12 immediately with no reservation. Having kids with us we really enjoyed the battery candles. To be honest I did not notice until I grabbed my kids hand thinking he was about to burn himself. The food was like a nice, upscale bar food. I loved the onion rings! The menu is limited (one page) which is common for upscale bar food. We really enjoyed all the food and were very happy with our experience. The restaurant is rather dark which I really liked. Very relaxing after all that shopping. Can't wait to go again. BTW, bathrooms are on the first floor. They were very clean.

• Visited November 2011