“Avoid the Brisket”

Add it.
The Cedar Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The 2 guys in our group both had the beef brisket. It was absolutely terrible. It was 50% fat and not thin strps of edible fat. There were huge chunks of fat all throughout the meat. It was not a large piece of meat to begin with and when you remove the fat, the portion that you can actually eat is tiny.

My wife had the pulled pork which was was ok but very dry.

The other gal had a chicken salad which was just average.

The restaurant is upstairs above the bar. The atmosphere is very simple; 4 cedar walls, a high ceiling and some rafter beams. Except for the Christmas lights, it is very plain.

The best that I can say about this place is that the owner and wait staff are very friendly, though the service is slow.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We found The Cedar Grill on Restaurant.com and, luckily, on Mapquest. It is tucked away off the street, but it was worth finding. I don't mind a limited menu as a previous reviewer pointed out, for I was just in it for the filet. We selected the snow crab surf and turf to split (me turf, she surf). My "hunk of sod" was at least 3" thick, so a medium-rare preparation was perfect. None of the snow crab survived. It was a Sunday evening, so only the downstairs bar area was open for seating, which made it slightly distracting. Was also a tad chilly. The sides were nondescript. The mousse dessert was tasty. Try it, you'll like it!

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I had the chance to visit Long Grove with a group of girlfriends. We decided to visit the Cedar Grill for our lunch stop. I had a coupon from Restaurant.com so I did a little research before we went. I have to say we had a delightful and delicious lunch. Because it was an early summer day, we settled on salads and we were not disappointed. I had the Cobb salad and it was exceptional. Some of my friends also had the spinach and mozarella salad and they ate every last bite. Tom, the owner/manager was our server and recommended many dishes. We all enjoyed what we had. As my friends and I visited, Tom brought out a serving of the restaurant's bread pudding for us to try. I have to confess I am not a bread pudding fan but this dish was AMAZING. We ate every last bite plus all the delicious carmel sauce. If you go there, you MUST order it.

Some of the critiques have mentioned the slowness of service so I just want to say, if you are looking for a speedy meal you may not find it yet at the Cedar Grill. But if you want to savor a delicious meal and take your time visiting, then the Cedar Grill is a lovely spot to eat before enjoying the ambience of Long Grove. We had a great time and hope to go back soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I do not recommend this place. The food is average. My salmon and my wife's steak were overlooked. The menu is extremely limited. There are only 4 appetizer choices, and lite variety in the menu.

They had only one other table filled on Friday night at 7pm, and yet they were out of spinach so I couldn't order the spinach salad. Come on. If your menu only has 8 items on it besides the main entrees, you can't be out of stuff.

This place won't make it long.

1  Thank streltsy
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Was pleasantly surprised by the Cedar Grill. Staff was wonderful, and the chef went out of his way to make something that was not on the menu. Normally we would eat lunch somewhere outside the Village of Long Grove, (most places there are mundane), so it was a treat to find this place. The only problem I see is if you are not shopping at the store next door you wouldn't even know it was there. The village or owner should put up a sign out on the street to generate more business.

1  Thank Guy L