“A step back in time”
Review of Corner George Inn

Corner George Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Maeystown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2011

This is our second stay at the Corner George Inn and an equally delightful stay it was. Maeystown and the inn itself are like taking a step back in time. Wrought with history and unique antiques there is something to look at and learn about everywhere you look. Our hosts David and Marsha were delightful and we thoroughly enjoyed all our breakfasts. If you are looking for a unique getaway this is the place to come.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank monika301

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Picture this… A horse and rider ascend Main Street as you leave a gourmet coffee shop, where beans are roasted and grinded before your eyes. Many of the surrounding buildings are made of stone, and a saloon across the way has a wooden bar reminiscent of the Wild West serving O’Fallon dark beer from a nearby micro-brewery. These are some sites we saw upon our arrival to Maeystown, Illinois. Only minutes from St. Louis, this 160 year old German town features buildings lovingly restored to their original splendor, and one is the Corner George Inn. We can’t say enough about our hosts David and Marcia Braswell, the gentle and generous innkeepers who operate this lovely B&B. We had our own suite, which is actually an entire apartment. An exposed stone wall with deep set windows was wonderful to gaze out from our antique iron bed, and in the bath was a claw foot, oh-so-deep, antique tub! David Braswell spent the whole first evening with us explaining the history of the town (he is a German language and cultural scholar), setting up a golf outing and tours for the following day, and then recommending area restaurants. We enjoyed Gallaghers, the Dreamland Palace, and Frederico’s, all near to Maeystown. Breakfast is served in a gorgeous ballroom filled with antique furnishings, and combines a delicious array of fresh fruits, gourmet delicacies, and beverages. For one needing extra rest and a long lie-in, breakfast was delivered to my room, which was a service above and beyond! If you need rest, relaxation, and a visit to the simplicity and elegance of the 19th century, check out the Corner George Inn.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Inn Keepers are greedy and seem to care only for themselves. The town is nice but the people there are not. It needs to have historical zoning to keep the modern buildings out and he "bar" is modern. Overall I would not go back considering the many authentic places one could stay at. Clearly the town fathers do not want to see the village become more than a bump in the road.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We had a opportunity to spend two days at the Lovely Corner George in Maeystown. The inkeepers, Marcia and David, were wonderful hosts with a wealth of knowledge and history of the local area. While walking the hills of the village, I was reminded of the smilarity of the area to the hills in Germany. (The area has quite a long connection with Germany)

While we were there, the village was celebrating it's homecomming, complete with a parade with fire trucks, tractors, pretty little girls, floats and marching bands! Quite a great slice of Americana to enjoy.

The area is really photogenic, being a camera nut, I could not take a bad photo. The stay at the Inn was very nice and highly recommend a stay at this peaceful place. PS - Check out the Kaffeehaus and antique store accross the street, great coffee and hot cholocate.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaveP7777
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The Inn is very well kept, and the grounds it sets on are beautiful. Country setting with beautiful scenery. The town of Mayestown is such a cute quaint place. We will be back as soon as possible!! The Inn Keepers were so nice & helpful, couldn't have asked for more!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mehrta
Reviewed 20 December 2010

This was my second trip back to Maeystown to stay at The Corner George Inn. Maeystown was celebrating their anual " Old Fashion German Christmas Festival" it was as wonderful as expected. There were many activities throughout the day these are only a few I would like to share with you. I enjoyed a free carrage ride through the town and sang Christmas Carols in German in the Ballroom. There were many wonderful musicians performing throughout the day and what fun to see St. Nikolaus arrive on an antique fire truck with the brass band. There was a nice variety of food and pastry ( I sampled everything). After we enjoyed the sounds of hammered dulcimer and carols being sung the traditional lighting of the Weinachtsbaum took place. I think I've found my home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2010

The moment I arrived at the Corner George Inn the staff came out of the Inn to greet me and assist with my bags. After I was escorted to my beautiful room by the Innkeeper (Marcia) she told me a short history of the Inn then asked if I would like to tour the rest of the Inn. The Inn is like stepping back in history with the wonderful antiques, floral patterns, and contrasting colors . Every day I stepped out of the Inn (I stayed five days) it was a new discovery or experience, the stone bridge, the spring fed creek, church, the museum, and the most wonderful extended tour of the town with David (Innkeeper and wonderful town historian) to narrate and guide us. The breakfast, muffins, and spiced tea (a family recipe) served daily in the magnificent Ballroom should make restaurant reviews. If you choose to venture out go on line and check out the surrounding towns they have many wonderful restaurants for lunch and dinner and there are lots of attractions to see or sit and read a book in the garden area or in the area upstairs overlooking the garden. This is a great place to take a break from your busy life to unwind, relax, or be adventurous. I am returning in December for the German Christmas festivities and plan to spend many more vacations at the Corner George Inn with the most gracious Innkeepers David and Marcia Braswell.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank emailjoann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maeystown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Sainte Genevieve
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham...
#1 of 3 in Sainte Genevieve
#2 of 4 in Festus
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 5 in Arnold

Been to Corner George Inn? Share your experiences!