“A great getaway!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oak Grove Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makanda
Oak Grove Cabins
Champaign, Illinois
“A great getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed in one of their cabins in September of 2012. The cabins are beautiful inside and out and very well stocked. In fact, we were shocked at all the utensils, etc. that are provided. This part of Illinois is beautiful and we came down on a motorcycle to ride the wine trail. We ate dinner out on Friday night and on Saturday night we went to Arnold's Market and bought to excellent cuts of meat and grilled them on the charcoal grill on the back patio (they even provide charcoal) and then soaked in the hottub. Yes, they have an extremely strict cleaning policy that is overboard when you are supposed to be on vacation...but we cleaned up and didn't get charged any extra so my guess is that the other reviewer that gave such a poor rating is not quite as neat as he claims. We highly recommend these cabins and we are already planning to return next year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

My husband, dog and I spent two days in cabin 1 then another five days in cabin 2 and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would definitely stay here again. The price is maybe a little higher then some of the other options in the area but they offer more amenities and that was important to us. The cabins are all very nicely constructed (and all are less than 10 years old) two bedrooms, one bathroom, living room and kitchen. The cabins are all the same layout just slightly different decor and flooring. The furniture was comfy in general although the mattresses were firmer then what we prefer - I would recommend you bring a mattress topper if you're particular about that. The cabins were clean and well stocked with the essentials. You have a full kitchen with full size appliances (minus a dishwasher). They provide plenty of dishes but they obviously can't provide (nor would I expect) every size and type of pot, pan and utensil you might need but they did have a decent selection in both cabins. The cabins are private...even Cabin 1 is private although you can see another house from the front porch when the leaves are off the trees (you can't see the house from the side and back yard of cabin 1). You can't see the other cabins without walking around so if you're not planning on playing croquet naked you'll have more than enough visual privacy. You can hear your neighbors if you are outside and they are too but as long as they aren't obnoxious it's not really intrusive - just don't expect to feel like you're the only people left in the world. Oh, yeah, these cabins are in the woods...if you aren't used to the woods let me tell you, there are bugs in the woods <using sarcasm for those that would actually complain about something like that> and dirt too. The cabins include satellite tv, a dvd player and stereo. They don't provide any internet service but I was able to bring my own and there are free wifi hotspots within 6-7 miles of the cabins. In regards to cellular service, I have T-Mobile, my hubby has ATT and I had a Verizon data card. T-mobile phone and data service came and went with my android phone, my hubby got great call service on his "ancient" dual band phone but spotty phone and data on his iphone. The Verizon data card I brought had good signal all the time...speed was what you would expect for a rural area but it was sufficient for light surfing, checking my email and logging in remote to work to solve a couple problems. Extra and much appreciated amenities included a gas fireplace, an outdoor fire pit, a charcoal grill, covered porches with tables and chairs, and a hot tub. The only one we didn't use was the fire pit and that was just because there were a lot of leaves on the ground and we didn't want to risk it. We were in the area to enjoy some hiking and the hot tub after a long day of hiking was awesome. A short drive from the cabins gets you to plenty of restaurants and stores. 6-7 miles to Carbondale and 11 or so miles to Anna. Dorothy has put together an aswesome binder filled with information about where to find the closest stores and what restaurants she recommends, places of interest, etc. The cabins are very near Giant City State Park and there are so many other great state and national recreation areas as well as lakes throughout the area. If you're more interested in the wine trail the cabins are very close to a portion of it and there are also a lot antique stores in all these small towns. The cabins are right by a portion of the River to River Trail. Some of the parks take a bit of driving from the cabin (about 1 1/2 hours to Garden of the Gods) because there aren't interstates that travel East and West in the area, just state highways and county roads that take you through a lot of little towns. If you feel adventurous enough and aren't in a hurry I recommend you travel the more scenic county roads to get where you're going. We practically had the parks to ourselves during the week. There is plenty of wildlife in the area...there were three deer right outside the cabin one morning and I could hear them most nights when I took the dog out (bring a flashlight...it's dark in the country!). We saw a lot of deer in general in the area even in the daytime. A couple things to mention: If you are in the area for hiking...locate trail maps ahead of time, even at the parks where there was a visitors center they didn't always have trail maps available and while some of the parks have well marked trails...others are very difficult to follow especially with all the leaves that were on the ground and all the side trails people had made off the main trails as they explored or as they hiked around newly fallen trees or washed out trail sections. If you visit Bell Smith Springs be prepared for water crossings or you'll miss some of the best parts. If you are entering via an interstate highway and can stop at an Illinois rest area there is a great brochure that tells about a lot of what there is to do in the area...it's called Southernmost Illinois...not the one that just says Southern Illinois...make sure it has the "most" in it. I lucked onto that item when I drove through IL on my way to NC a few weeks before our trip and I was so glad I picked it up.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Theresa C
Maywood, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

We spent our 7the anniversary at Oak Grove Cabins and loved it. The cabin was very clean and comfortable. I was amazed how well stocked it was. It was very private and well maintained inside and out. We stayed in cabin 2 and could not see any other cabin or house from our cabin. There was plenty of firewood for our nightly bon fires. We enjoyed the hot tub and the king size bed. I have to ask what type of bed that was because I had a great nights sleep. The bathroom was very clean but was a little small. Overall I give this cabin an A +. We have stayed in a few other cabins between here and Gatlinburg and would love to come back to Oak Grove Cabins. There is so much to do around the area too. The cabin was in the perfect location for the wine trail, hiking and we even went horse back riding for the first time. After exploring the area we had a wonderful private place to come home to. I wish that they provided a better radio because we had some difficulty with reception in the woods. But then we realized that we could listen to music on the dish network through the television. Music by the hot tub would have been nice, but I will just bring my portable radio next time because there is an outlet on the back porch. We were surprised because there was not a problem with mosquitos at all even though we were deep in the woods. We were told by the owners that they are planning on building 2 more cabins on another piece of land just down the road. We cant wait to be one of their first guests. We would have never even met the owners but they were out doing yard work one day when we drove in. Thanks for providing such a great place. I think this will be our new anniversary tradition.

Room Tip: I prefer cabin 2 because of its location, but I did not see cabin 1 at all. You do drive past cabin...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Chris F
Wolf Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Sorry Sean I don't agree with your experience.....I've been there many of times. I do believe you's were in the cabin,over to our North side of us. You's were very loud and I might say abnoxious is a good word.You never thought about your neighbors which were a ways thru the woods from you'an we heard you's loud an clear.

So If you had to pay extra for cleaning.....sorry kiddo....take responsabilty in your actions!
It's a great place for a get away,as long as kids know how to act!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank halfpint_62998
Granite City, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

The cabin was very clean an well kept. We came to spend our Anniversary and was very pleased. It was easy to check in and out. My wife and I did not want to leave. We saw deer out back while we were in the hot tub. We plan on coming back next year. We found this place on the internet and was not sure what to expect, but we were very satisfied. I think that the bed was a little uncomfortable though. They have a really neat guest book and someone wrote in it that they saw a bobcat. I am recommending this place to all of my friends and family. My wife Patty loved the fireplace and the hot tub. Now I might have to buy her one of each!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bigguy777683
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Id like to start off with some positive. These cabins are very aesthetically pleasing.
But in the end... aesthetics alone did not save our experience.
They claim these cabins are secluded, they even provide pictures to show you how secluded they are. Well, if you rent cabin 1 please say "Hi" to all your neighbors in cabins 2 & 3 as well as the permanent neighbors about 20 yards away.
They also have this "cleaning policy" Its a good policy.. you can tell the owners pride themselves on how well these cabins are kept. In fact.. if I owned cabins and took the "$50.00 cleaning deposit" from everybody who rented from me regardless to how clean the cabin was left... I could hire outside people to come in and remodel every couple of years too..
We swept, we cleaned all our dishes, put all dirty laundry in the hamper, wiped off counter tops... yet.. we still got charged $50.00 additional because we left the place "messy"
Im part of a group who has rented 3 different cabins in Southern Illinois in the last year. We left this one the cleanest per their "cleaning policy"
(which btw.. the cleaning implements they leave you to clean up seriously look like they were pulled out of a dumpster behind the dollar store.)

The weekend we stayed it actually snowed, and then melted. And considering we rent these cabins to hike and sit around a campfire, the ground got muddy, therein making the cement patio muddy... That was the #1 reason they took an additional $50.00 from us... And its not like we didnt try to clean up the outdoor cement patio.. but the outside hose was not working... So the owner had to do 5 minutes of hose work on their patio and then justified their labor with an additional $50.00, when really, I think mother nature or bad grass could have been just as easily to blame.

We are not amateurs, We are not younger then 30, We have careers, wives, families, none of us live in squalor, we've never had any other complaints from all the other cabins we have rented in the past... Yet... the owners made the renter feel as though we left the place on fire and then spray painted the ashes..

The beds were not comfortable.
The climate control was laughable.
And all the cabins are about as secluded as a under-developed subdivision.

If you rent here expect less privacy then their photos convey, expect an additional $50.00 clean up fee and then expect the owners to try and belittle you when you ask for reasonable and specific explanations as to why you are being charged more.

I will not return.
Renter beware!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sean S
Oakgrovecabin, Owner at Oak Grove Cabins, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
This guest stayed with 3 others in Oak Grove Cabin 1 in January. They hauled firewood through the cabin leaving debris all over. The back patio was covered with mud. There was mud and were multiple spills on the furniture and flooring. There was vomit all over the bathroom. I charged them an extra $50 cleaning fee (this is only one of two times I have charged a cleaning fee in 7 years of business). I provide items for guests to use to clean if they have an accident. Other lodging owners "beware" of these guests.
Wolf Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

I found these cabins are very nice and cozy...The owner is a wonderful host....I've been there more than once.I recommend any body that is looking for a great get away,this would be one place I would really consider looking into these cabins,plenty to explore...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank halfpint_62998
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makanda
Hampton Inn Carbondale
Comfort Inn Marion
Comfort Inn Marion
#1 of 15 in Marion
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion

Been to Oak Grove Cabins? Share your experiences!