“A great stay until....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Manteno
Cherry Valley, Illinois
“A great stay until....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had a funeral to attend and this hotel was close to where it was being held. On arrival the property looks clean but not much around it. As you walk into the hotel there is a little patio area to the left which also happens to be the smoking area. If someone is on the patio smoking you have to walk through the smoke to get into the building. The lobby was nice and clean and even had cookies set out for you. We hurried up to our room to freshen up and passed the pool on our way. It is a very small pool and the hot tub looks like it could fit one person. Our room had 2 queen beds and was very clean. Some of the furnishings were a bit outdated but in good repair. I was very happy with my stay until later in the night. I have a habit of looking at my checking account every night just to make sure there are no unauthorized charges. That night when I checked I noticed a pending charge of $103 from country inn and suites. I had made my reservation online about a week in advance and the funds had already cleared my bank, so i didn't understand why I was being charged again. I called to the front desk to ask what the charge was and the man who answered clearly did not like his job. He informed me that since I used my debit card they place a pending charge for incidentals. He laughed at me when I was asking questions regarding the charge and stated that's why he would "never use a debit card." Well, there are some people in this world who do not use credit cards. I can understand the charge, but I was NEVER informed of this when checking in. What would have happened if i didn't have the funds to cover it?
There is a small dining room off of the lobby where they serve breakfast. The breakfast was pretty good. They have a few hot options, make your own waffles, cereals, doughnuts, bagels, and a few other options. After breakfast I talked to the woman at the front desk and explained that I wasn't happy about not being told about the incidental charge. She stated she understood and knew they needed to do a better job of informing heir guests. I would have been happy to stay at this brand again, but hey lost my trust by not being forthcoming with their practices.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CISManteno_AGM, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manteno, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
I would like to apologize for the staff's mishandling the incidental explaination. Whenever we check a guest in we ask for a card or cash deposit for incidental coverage. What this means is we authorize and hold funds in the event that an incidental was incurred. Being a hotel, we must do this as it is the only way to verify that the card that was given by the guest is in fact a valid card with funds available to cover these charges if there is any. Unlike other business that charge at time of service, we charge at time of check out. If we do not verify funds on credit cards given, there would many times that we would not receive payment at the end of the stay. The staff should have explained this in depth to you when you inquired and I apologize that they did not do so. We also have a sign at the desk that displays this policy and the explanation behind it. I would recommend for future to visit to inquire about this at each hotel you stay at, as this is the policy at many hotels that I personally have come across.
My apologizes,
Asst. General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This hotel stands beside I-57 in a lonely cornfield in Manteno just as it has stood there for years. The property is quite dated as several previous reviews indicate. For example, there are no automatic sliding doors at the entry. When guests are carrying in their luggage, they have to also navigate opening two sets of doors. Definitely not up to industry standards.

The carpets in the hotel are worn and faded. This is evidenced especially on the stairs.

The breakfast room is smaller than others we have seen, but the breakfast is fine. Waffles, cereals, juices, coffee and tea, oatmeal, and various other items that vary from day to day. I need to give a shout out to Joy who cheerfully maintained the breakfast room on the first morning that we were there. A lovely lady who enjoys what she does!

When we checked in, the nice young lady at the front desk (blonde hair with a trendy cut) handed me a welcome gift with an included note from General Manager Crystal Tomczak. Very thoughtful and proactive. Throughout the stay, the breakfast staff and front desk staff were very helpful and accommodating. Well done!

But I must return to the condition of the hotel. Our room was just so very dated. The carpet in our room, Room 214, could use a good steam cleaning. The bedspreads need to be replaced with duvets. The floor of the tub was horrendously stained to the point that we had to avert our eyes while showering; a bath would have been out of the question. More pillows on the beds, please! The hotel reminds me of an elderly aunt who is exceptionally friendly but who smells a little curious and who wears the same fashions she was wearing in the 1970's. Think old-school motel where you drive up to the door and walk straight into your room style. There is WiFi all over the building, though, and it's fast.

Happily, Country Inn & Suites has been undergoing renovations throughout their properties, and the Manteno property is on the front end of their renovation. I was informed by a staff member that some of the rooms have the new duvets and flatscreen TV's already. The lobby does have a display that informs guests that upgrades are on their way. Having seen properties that are upgraded already, I know that when this property has been upgraded it will be truly beautiful. That time cannot come soon enough.

My family will return to the Country Inn & Suites in Manteno because of its proximity to Kankakee. We just hope that it's after the renovations have occurred.

Dear WylieDave,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I love to hear that our staff made a guest's stay exceptional. After working at this hotel for many years I have realized and tried to instill in the staff the importance of customer service. Your review will do wonders in reinforcing this idea. While we are working with less than modern condition, we endeavor to make up for this by providing the best service possible. The staff here will be thrilled to read this and the few that already have are only more diligent in their work now. I'm pleased to inform you that the hotel will be undergoing a renovation, as we have taken on new owners and they are anxious to get this vital upgrades done so we may be the areas premier hotel. I hope to meet you in person in the future should you choose to stay with us again when in the area.
Lockport, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed here because we had reward points and it was free. Had we paid any money I would have requested a refund. The bathroom had hairs all over it the sheets and pillow cases were stained. It was totally disgusting.

Then there were kids running and screaming in the hall the entire time. When I called the front desk they said they had the right to do that. It was the first time we ever thought about just leaving a hotel.

And to top it all off they CHARGED US for a stained sheet when everything was gross and stain when we got there. We even called and told them the stains were not done by us they refuse to take off the charge!!

Oh and the staff is rude. I won't stay at a country inn ever again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank debbie w
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manteno, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites standards. Further review of your situation reveals that Customer Care has already offered to fully refund your points for the stay as well as the $20.00. If we can assist you with this matter further, please let us know.

Travellers are raving about these Manteno hotels

Paris, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

This was the first time I had stayed at a Country inn and suites. It was very nice appearance and very crowded both nights. The breakfast was very good and varied between the two days. 24 hour cookies and coffee was different from most chains. Late hours for the pool was cool and even later hours for adults. At the front desk you could get a DVD player, board games, and even ladder toss. They had a libaray system where you could read books and if you didn't finish the book you could take it with you and return it to your nearest Country inn and suites when you were done. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only bad mark this place had was our room had a foul smell to it I don't know about the rest of the rooms but the north side of the hotel outside had the same smell. On the plus side once you were in the room a minute you didn't notice the smell, it was not one of those smells that lingered with you. I would stay here again as it is placed conveniently be tween Kankakee and Chicago.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Andy P
First I'd like to thank you for your kind comments. We appreciate that you have taken the time to review our hotel and provide your feedback. Now, more importantly, I want to apologize for the issue you had during your stay. I have informed our housekeeping and maintenance departments and we are working together to ensure that not only our rooms but all areas of the hotel are at their freshest, cleanest state. Nevertheless, we do hope to see you again when your travels bring you to the area.
Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here two nights while visiting my father at the Illinois Veteran's Home in Manteno. There are only two hotels...a Howard Johnson's and this Country Inn...in this town. Both are located right off I-57 at the Manteno exit. The hotel is 100% non-smoking and accepts pets. The "business center" is a computer on a desk in the lobby. The staff members as the desk, breakfast room, and housekeeping were friendly and spoke English. My stay was pleasant, nothing exceptional. My room was clean and the free hot breakfast was good. The decor is dated and showing it's age. There was a sign in the lobby stating that this hotel would soon be undergoing a complete renovation so it is worth checking out if you need a place to stay in Manteno.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Crystal G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manteno, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay while here. I'm thrilled to inform you that since getting new owners early this summer, we are in the works of completely upgrading the hotel. This will include, all new televisions, furniture, bedding, and much much more. An updated business center is also in the plans. I do hope that during your next stay, you see these changes and it makes your stay that much better.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

The rooms were clean and quiet, the cookies when we arrived were warm and yummy. The staff was very nice. Breakfast was filling and generous, with a fairly wide variety of options. There is road construction that makes it a bit tricky to get to right now, but it was worth it.

Salem, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Its hard to go wrong here. The rooms are nice, clean, and spacious. The staff friendly and courteous. They have a nice breakfast set up, with many items available. The pool is clean, and I love that they have an adult time for the pool and hot tub. No creepy situations of grown adult men sharing the hot tub with my teens, Its pretty conveniently located to bradley-bourbonais. Easy in and out, and surprisingly quiet rooms for being located right on I57. All in all, this is what I look for in a hotel, I wish all were as nice. We had zero check in problems, we were charged what we agreed to , and that was it.
Thanks

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hotelschmotel36657
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manteno
Comfort Inn
Red Roof Inn
#1 of 3 in Monee
Howard Johnson Inn Manteno
Hilton Garden Inn Kankakee

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Manteno? Share your experiences!