“Great service and large TV with HD!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Marion
Ankeny, IA
“Great service and large TV with HD!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed here on our way back from Florida. Love the smell of a brand new hotel. The one drawback was the pool not quite being ready yet. We knew that going in, but they must've been trying to put the finishing touches on as they were working on it before 7:00AM on a Thursday morning and we were right above that area so that was our wake-up call.

Breakfast was better than most HIE's due to having bacon along with the normal offerings I've come to expect from this brand. As a Priority Club member, we received a free upgrade without even asking along with bottled water and snacks for all 4 of us. I'm usually staying on a weekend so having a free USA Today outside my door was a nice surprise.

The guys at the front desk were helpful in pointing us to a local restaurant instead of just the normal chains.

I also enjoyed the interactive touch screen TV in the lobby where you could pull up news, weather, sports, etc.

But the best thing about this hotel was the biggest TV's I've seen in a guest room (probably around 37-42") and they actually had HD channels (local and cable).

Would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Matt M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay with us. I have forwarded all your comments to the rest of the hotel staff and we welcome your stay in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Avon, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed June 26th/27th and as you would expect very clean for a new hotel. Check in went fine, then as we were unloading out car I stepped away check out a storm coming in and the front desk guy came out and told my wife who was getting the rest of our bags out, that we need to unload and move the car. I only step away for 30sec. when he did this. There was not a car or truck around as if we were holding up traffic. I told him I know and if he did not like it, I can go other places to stay. That night I went to plug into the power next to my bed and the outlet was dead. Not worth calling them at 11pm. Then went to use my iPad on their free wireless network and it asked for a password, I entered it and would connect for 5sec. and drop, then no connection at all. When I got home my iPad would not connect to my home network. It took an hour to right what their network messed up. Don’t get me wrong, nice place, just needs to work out the issues, both IT and personnel

1 Thank Avonhoops
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marion, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Avonhoops,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you have noticed the cleanliness of our hotel and you found our location convenient. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. Rest assured that I have taken note of your comments about the internet connection and this will be forwarded to the appropriate department for necessary actions.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Our family of five spent one night at this property while we were in town for a sporting event in nearby Carbondale. It was recommended by a friend who had previously stayed at the former location and told us you could get a better rate in Marion than in Carbondale. We decided to take her up on her suggestion when we noticed this property offered a room that would sleep all five of us. Our friend checked in 24 hrs earlier than we did and texted me to tell me it was a brand new location and was gorgeous. The only downside was that the pool isn't open yet. She was told that it should be open by in a day or two, but it still hadn't opened by that second day.

The front desk staff was very helpful. Our room was so new it still smelled new. The room was quite clean, except for the half-eaten peanut butter cup we found in the bedside table drawer. The pillows were plentiful, but the mattress was a little harder than I personally like. There were no linens in our room for the sofa bed but the front desk staff was responsive to our request for some. The room was very generously sized with plenty of room to move around even with five people staying in it. I appreciated that I could fit between the farthest bed and the air conditioner without having to turn sideways. There was plenty of desk space and ample outlets. The flat sreen TV was quite large. Ours had good reception but our friends' down the hall had so much static on certain channels that they didn't watch it. The bathroom was a generous size as well. The toilet seat seemed rather flimsy for such a nicely appointed new bathroom.

Breakfast was very well stocked with three varieties of meat (bacon, sausage patties, and sausage links), two kinds of eggs (scrambled & hard boiled), full size and half size fruit yogurts, cinnamon rolls, a pancake machine, biscuits & gravy, cold cereal, breads/bagels/muffins, etc. Once the front desk figured out how many families were staying there for this sporting event they got the breakfast going as early as they could to accommodate us. As Priority Club members, we did not receive a newspaper, though.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay with us. Our pool did open at the end of July, unfortunately after your stay. I have shared your response with our housekeeping department concerning the candy bar wrapper that was found in your drawer. We take cleanliness issues very seriously and will address this to make sure it doesnt happen again in the future. Finally regarding newspapers, we only deliver the USA Today to Priority Club rooms Monday through Friday since we do not receive it on the weekends. We do have our local paper available at the front desk. Again thank you for your feedback, we look forward to you staying with us in the future.
La Grange, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at the HIE & Suites Marion in May for a short weekend while attending our niece's graduation. This hotel had just opened the week prior. The pool was not completed yet, much to the dismay of my children. The lobby was fresh and clean. Love the interactive TVs in the lobby that give the weather, etc on a huge touchscreen.

The room itself was very nice and modern. We had a king bed plus a sleeper sofa for the kids. Plenty of room. The kitchenette was nice even if we just used it to keep soft drinks and water cold. Our room was on the side of the hotel that faced the Menard's and the baseball stadium. There were night games both Friday and Saturday evening. You could almost see the scoreboard from our room. There were fireworks after the game on Friday which we could view from our window. Nice but had I been trying to sleep I probably wouldn't have been very happy. But not a problem for us.

Breakfast was your standard HIE fare which I think is fabulous as its included! Their pancake maker was on the fritz so no pancakes either morning. Disappointing for a brand new hotel.

All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful.

We had stayed at the old HIE previously (which is now a Best Western) and this HIE is a TREMENDOUS improvement over the old one.

Room Tip: Hotel entrance side rooms face the baseball stadium. May have fireworks during the season. Not sure...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. Our pool did open at the end of July so next time you are in the area please stay with us again.
Road Warrior
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Spent one night here passing though town, this is a brand spankin' new hotel and it was pretty much what your expect from a new HIE. The exterior of the hotel looks very nice both the building itself and the landscaping, that was a lot of landscaping to plant in this miserable heat wave we're having but they seem to be doing a pretty solid job keeping up with it. Hotel smells brand new as soon as you walk in the door.

My room was spacious, clean and the decor was classy and modern. We had a microwave and fridge which was handy, many HIE's only put those in the suites and not the normal rooms. Also liked the little reading lamps attached to the headboard those were a nice touch as well.

Had a couple of issues with the room thus the low rating, first and foremost I found the bed miserably uncomfortable. They went with Serta Emerald Suite mattresses which are extremely firm. On a scale of 1 -10 with 10 being like sleeping on clouds and 1 being like sleeping on bricks the mattress would probably rate a 3. I really have no idea why they would pick such a lousy mattress. Super firm mattresses only appeal to a small % of people, they could have gone with the Serta Presidential or even the Diamond suite mattress which are far far more plush for a similar price. I think this mattress choice is going to be a big mistake in the long run for this hotel. I know I would certainly never book it again as I felt like some one beat me with a baseball bat in the morning when I woke up.

Another more minor problem was the wireless Internet, I found it to be slow and spotty. Download speeds only testes at a little more the 1Mbps and my connection dropped many times during my stay. They do offer both a wired and wireless connection, I never tried the wired so I don't know if it were any better but the wireless wasn't very good.

One final minor issue I had was no room upgrade for Priority Club Platinum members, you only get a water and bag of Cheez-its....lol...really, that is the best you can do..??

All it all if the hotel had a better bed or if I liked a super firm mattress it would be a 4 star but for me 3 stars is the best I can do, I can't give a hotel where I didn't get any sleep a higher rating then that.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
We appreciate your feedback on your stay with us. Many people are used to a certain type of mattress. Some prefer firm mattresses, some prefer soft. We are a brand new hotel with brand new mattresses. We chose to go with the type of mattress we did hoping to cover all different guest's choices. Again thank you for your feedback and please stay with us again next time you are in the area.
Maumelle, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

My family and I checked in the first weekend of July. We were told ahead of time that their pool was still being built. It wasnt set to be opened up til the end of July. After getting to the hotel it was fine with us! WOW!!!!! When walking in the lobby you are just awestruck by what you seen. I have been to many Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresss in the past and this one was by far the nicest. At check in the guy told me that it had just opened in mid May. All amenities are fully upgraded including TVs, furniture, room decor in general. The breakfast was great, the staff was outstanding. Being in the customer service field it is very rare to have that many employees greeting everyone and just being kind in general. Just before I typed this I read the one poor review. This person must have just woken up on the wrong side of the bed. Take it from me everyone, this is THE PLACE to stay if visiting Southern Illinois.

Room Tip: There is a miner league baseball team that plays not too far from the hotel. If you ask to have you...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for all the kind words concerning your stay. I have shared all your great feedback with our staff. Please stay with us again next time you are in the area.
Morton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

A great hotel for a great price! Pool was still not finished when we stayed. Rooms are very spacious and clean.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay. Our pool is now open so please stay with us again next time you are in the area.