“Not the place to stay”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Marion
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Bed had bhurns in the blanket from smokers sheets did not apear to have beenn made up properly and was woke up by a mouse in the room. After taken the mouse that I caught in the garebe bag to the front office to request a refund for the night I am still waiting for for it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Hotel is older and in need of repairs in various places -- paint peeling on ceiling in pool room, pool missing a few tiles, etc.
Room was fine and nothing we noticed wrong with it. Bathroom was oviously older but functional. Room and bathroom were both clean. Beds were comfortable and no visible sign of bedbugs that we found. Swimming pool appeared clean and we swam. Typical hotel size with 3ft - 6ft. Small hottub which was not very hot, warm bath water (I take hotter showers). Had typical sufficient hotel breakfast - various pastries, make your own waffles, bananas, cereal, milk, coffee, juice. A little pricy for being outdated -typically we stay at nicer hotels for the same price but this was the only hotel with openings that had a pool and didn't have extemely bad reviews. We we ever end up in Marion again and there are no other openings would have no problem staying there again. As far as those concerned with security.... the day we went was really warm so all the doors to the outside parking lot were propped open. When the door to the back parking lot was closed I don't recall having to use a room key or anything to open it. Room lock definately worked but if you are extremely cautious about security of the entire hotel you might want to look somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Long drive & tired; all other econo lodges we stayed were both nice and friendly. This place had no air till you got to your room and turned it on. We had to go outside & it was hot there too.
The desk clerk was to the point of being rude. When we questioned things, he said we could stay somewhere else & we should have.
You can bet I will check online reviews before I travel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed here on our way back to Iowa from Fl. Pool was bathtub hot (I didn't swim my whole trip because pools were too cold) Rooms were clean and VERY reasonably priced, esp. for indoor pool.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank momof4Iowa
Reviewed 10 October 2009

I stayed here one night on October 2nd, 2009. It's not a destination motel put just a place to sleep. It does have a pool and sauna but the sauna was out of order. Near the exit on I-57 and near many restaurants as well.
I had a king bed, no smoking. The room was clean and the bed was ok. The bathroom, although a little outdated was fine with decent water pressure. The free continental breakfast was nothing more then doughnuts, make your own waffles and coffee and juice.The place also has a exercise room with a couple of stationary bikes.
At $65.00 a night I wouldn't have a problem staying here again when passing thru.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Aerowing
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Arrogant general mgr who has no idea what customer service means. I booked two rooms for two nights in Sept 07 for May 08 (SIU graduation weekend) and in Jan 08 was charged on my credit card for the rooms a full 5 months before I was to stay there. At the time of booking it was never stated that CC would be charged months prior to stay. When contacted the GM stated that he has been burned by early bookings who cancel last minute and therefore felt justified in charging the card so early. I argued that it was never stated that would happen and I would be there as promised, a very rude conversation on his part he finally refunded my money. I specifically asked that my reservation stay in tact since he now refunded my money and would there be a new reservation number. He assured me that was not needed and I'd have my rooms available when checking in and would be invoiced at that time. Upon arrival the reservation was not in the system and he argued that I canceled. Even though I reminded him that he still promised the rooms he refused to acknowledge what was agreed upon and was very arrogant.
His assistant than offered me rooms (at a higher price) which we had no choice but to accept since on graduation weekend all other rooms in the area are booked.
Then we find out the phone did not work in the one of the rooms while the other room had a musty smell from a mini-fridge that was in less than optimal working order. The GM promised to fix the phone at 7pm and actually did after midnight and had the audacity to call the room at 12:30am waking up my family.
We also had issues with none of the outside building doors locking at night (none needed a key card to enter).
Worst of all it appears that 3 of the 5 members of my family have bug bites from the rooms.
AVOID this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Basketball5
Reviewed 8 January 2009

First, nasty sheets- when we reported this to mgmt. they gave us clean sheets for us to change the bed.
Second, toilet leaked all around the base.
They finally gave us another room. Then tried to say that we had messed up the sheets. They told us that we had to leave the next morning rather than stay the 2 nights that we paid for. When I disputed their claim the manager became irate and said he was going to "teach you a lesson." He then yelled at my 8yr. old daughter and said we had 5 minutes to get our things and get out. As we were walking away he said, "no, you have 1 minute." He refused to give any refund at all. We reported this incident to the local police and when they called him he did not deny anything but added that he was going to charge my credit card an additional $200 for the sheets. When we called Econolodge headquarters they said that since he was the manager that he could talk to us and treat us any way he wanted and they didn't care.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family