“Great Hotel - Stayed Twice!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Marion
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Marion
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Hotel - Stayed Twice!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Traveling to Florida from Chicago on a rainy Friday night in December. Had originally intended to stay in Paducah KY but the rain was making driving on I-57 too difficult. Staff was able to accommodate our late night request and get us a room for four. Room was clean, beds were comfortable. The room was not overly spacious, so be aware if you plan to bring up a lot of luggage. Kids commented that there were not sufficient or convenient outlets to recharge their electronic gadgets.

We enjoyed and appreciated it enough that we booked the same hotel on the return trip two weeks later, this time in anticipation of a snow storm. We knew we would be comfortable and safe and well taken care of here (this is only the second time I have booked the same hotel on the return trip). This is one of the best hotel options in Southern Illinois and greatly appreciated. .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 3 February 2014

In August 2012 I drove my elderly mother to Southern Illinois, alone, to see friends and relatives. I got very ill - thought it may have been an aneurysm-thankfully, only the WORST migraine ever, and ended up in the ER for the day and night. The fine people of the Fairfield Inn, helped get me down the elevator, into the car and off to the hospital and helped get ahold of relatives to take care of my mom. We ended up having to stay an extra night to be sure I could travel and they couldn't have been more accommodating. I write this now as I am about to travel back with my mom, this time on a plane from California, and we will stay at the Fairfield. People can complain about food, mattresses, etc., but you can't beat kindness, nor can you teach it. Thank you, again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tckmom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Lots of pluses for this hotel! Room was small but adequate and clean. Comfortable bed. Breakfast was good but wished the hotels offered a few gluten free breakfast options besides eggs and fruit. Manager's social hour was an unexpected treat with free drinks and snacks. (Mon - Thurs only.) Host and front desk clerk were friendly and helpful. Business center computer and printer worked....a plus as I had business to follow up on while on vacation. A pleasant over night stop!

Room Tip: The Monday - Thursday Manager's social hour was a nice perk after our long road trip.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The service was nice, happy hour Friday night, breakfast with your normal muffins, biscuits an gravy, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, and even a nice Japanese option for miso, and rice. HOWEVER , The beds are small! Our family of 4 shared a room with 2 double beds. My husband (6'1") and I (5'10") shared a bed and we could not even lay next to each other without overlapping. Our feet hung off the ends. They are full size beds, not queen siZe.

• Stayed December 2013
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We recently stay here on our way through IL it was a great stay , the beds in this place are amazing in my opinion .also the service was great we got in kinda late at t night and this is the first time I ever seen a clerk actually doing things at night to better peoples stay . If I had one bad thing to say the free breakfast was just so so not things I like to eat , however Im from the south and It might just be a different kinda breakfast people like in the North :)

• Stayed November 2013
chicago
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stop here twice a year on the drive to Atlanta. All the things you expect from the brand are here.

Even a rice pot at breakfast for an obviously large amount of Asian guests who must stay here.

The gem is 17th Street Bar b que which is a 2 minute walk down the hill- do not miss this.

Go to happy hour at hotel and walk to dinner- a winning combo

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in mid-October 2013, a Monday, Tuesday, and Weds night. The hotel is a very good hotel if you have reasonable expectations. They offer a wonderful complimentary breakfast every morning, which includes scrambled eggs, sausage, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast, muffins, donuts, danishes, white rice, apple juice, orange juice, milk, coffee, other hot drinks, fresh fruits, cold cereals, fruit cups, yogurt, and that is just all I can remember.

There is a manager's reception offered every evening, which includes complimentary snacks and beverages (alcoholic and non). We didn't visit it, but we heard they offered nachos and cheese, meatballs, fresh fruits, etc.

The hotel offers fresh cookies at the counter every afternoon and until they are gone in the evening. They are quite delicious and we helped ourselves each day.

The hotel had a small pool and a nice sized hot tub, both of which were not busy while we were there and were quite enjoyable. There was also a small exercise room which looked fine, but we did not use it.

We had a king sized room, which was pretty small; if money is not an issue I would recommend paying the extra money and getting a suite. We were fine with the king sized room, but next time we will probably pay a little more and get the king suite for the extra space. The regular king sized room was pretty cramped and small, but still okay. Our room had a very comfy bed and pillows and the sheets were soft enough they didn't irritate my skin. I have a lot of trouble with my skin and harsh chemicals really make it worse, so I was very relieved I did not have that problem while I was there. The room had a newer high definition television, which looked very nice. Our room also had a microwave and refrigerator, which are very nice to have.

My room key stopped working on day two of our stay. We had the front desk fix it and then the next day the room key stopped working again. That was ridiculous. My husband used to work in a hotel and told me that second keys frequently will do that because of how they are programmed, but I don't care. If our stay is for three nights and we are given two keys, both keys should work throughout our entire stay. To have my room key stop working two days in a row is an unnecessary irritation.

Our room also ran out of Kleenex on the last night. The front desk gave my husband another box to bring to the room, but it was a bit annoying when we ran out of Kleenex in the room.

The elevator in the hotel needs work. When it leaves the first floor it makes a horrible cranking noise which everyone notices and comments on. I read back through old reviews on this website and saw this was mentioned back in April. April? Really? It's time to fix it!

The staff was very friendly, with the exception of the breakfast attendant. For some reason the breakfast attendant looked irritated every time I saw her and seemed grouchy when I complimented her for the very nice looking breakfast.

Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Check-in was super fast and efficient. We used a debit card to reserve our room and to pay. As long as you let them know when you check-in that you are using a debit card, they will charge the entire amount up front plus an extra $50 hold on the card. That way you don't have to worry about a lot of extra money being held out of your bank account while waiting for the held funds to be released. Check-out was automatic, they slipped the slip under the door for our records and we left the keys in the room.

Overall, it was a very good hotel. My husband and I both very much enjoyed our vacation. We plan to visit Southern Illinois again next October for another vacation and plan to base ourselves out of the same hotel, albeit with a King Suite next time (hopefully). I would highly recommend the hotel, but I wouldn't be doing a thorough review if I didn't point out the negatives I did. I know when I was researching this trip I paid attention to the good and the bad about the hotel so I would know what to expect. Like I said at the beginning, this is a very good hotel if you have reasonable expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple