“Brewery tour par excellence”
Review of Hogs Back Brewery

Hogs Back Brewery
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Tongham
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the famous Hogs Back Brewery,Surreys largest independent brewery. We are a small craft brewery based in Surrey situated just north of the A31 Hogs Back road between Guildford and Farnham. A visit to the Hogs Back Brewery is a fascinating experience. We are open to the public for Brewery Tours most days of the week and weekends, but we can be flexible to suit individual tour group requirements so please contact us to check availability.Our brewery Shop and Off License is situated on the premises, we not only supply our own fine ales in both draught and bottled, but literally hundreds of other bottled beers from around the world. From notable Belgian beers to almost unknown types from South America to China and, don’t forget a big variety from many small UK breweries. Pay us a visit...you’re bound to find something new!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Brewery tour par excellence”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

On Wednesday 12th February, myself and 14 chums went for an evening tour/taste experience and had such a fabulous time. The tour guide (Mel) was absolutely hilarious with non stop quips and funnies. All the beers were awesome, especially the "Snout" and they were not shy in pouring them out for us. The tour lasted approximately an hour and a half and at £12.50 per person this was good value. The shop is well stocked with a vast array of bottled beers from their own brewery as well as many others.

Visited February 2014

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great drink and great tour - make sure you aren't driving!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I went for a tour with my Dad on Saturday and we both came away a little tipsy and very happy.

The guide was the best part of this tour by far, but that's not a slight against the brewery or the drink they offer, both were excellent.

The guide - Mel Rees (who's also an author and writes under the pseudonym Anthony Mann - and judging by his tour, the books must be well worth a read) was a very intriguing guy who managed to perfectly combine the basics of brewing, a tour of the brewery, interesting facts and hilarious anecdotes in the middle of a politically incorrect comedic destruction of the UK, county by county, town by town. Be warned - mention your home town at your own peril if you are easily offended or you are the 0.00000001% of the UK population that actually thinks political correctness is a good thing. I recommend to everyone else you mention your home town and wait for the ensuing hilarity as Mel picks it apart.

I enjoyed the beers a hell of lot, I'd tried most before (my previous favourite was Gardeners tipple), but HBB was also well liked. You receive a branded half pint glass at the start of the tour, shortly before having it filled with 1 of 4 varieties you'll try that day. With each variety, you'll easily get a pints worth and substantially more if you want to / can quaff them quickly enough. I came away from the tour with 2 x 12 pack of bottles (1 mixed, 1 Hog Star) from the shop.

I mentioned "previous favourite" because since trying Hog Star it's blown my mind. My favourite beer by far, it's even in the running for favourite, ever. It's simply that good. Buy as much of this stuff as you can it's incredible and will no doubt be a considerable driving force to the continued success of the company.

Would I go back? Ab-so-bloody-lutely. As previous people have mentioned, the cost of this tour is great value for money at £12.50 - and for a minimum of 4 pints it could easily be done as the start to any evening (and a very entertaining one at that).

I'm looking forward to my next tour already.

It's also worth a quick mention of the sausages on sale in the shop fridge. Two types, one called Pickled Pig but I forget the name of the other. Having only tried the Pickled Pig so far I can say it is a great sausage and definitely worth buying.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank DuncanMeyers86
Camberley
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Outstanding Brewery”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have been a regular customer of the Hogs Back for many years. Their family of beers is outstanding - each unique but with familiar notes between them. The shop is excellent with a huge range of bottled beers from around the world, and the brewery tour was brilliant. Truly, the brewery is a local treasure and I frequently take its products to friends in other parts of the country or abroad. They are always received with a rapturous welcome!

Visited December 2013
Woking, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Awesome ales, awesome shop!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I love Hog's Back Brewery! They make awesome ales. The shop is awesome too. I went there today as I was in the neighborhood. I bought 3.5 pints of Hog's Back, Brooklands Gold Star. It was an amazing ales. The shop keeper was very helpful in choosing the right ale for me. Also, they sell numerous kinds of international and micro brewery ales. It is a lot of fun to shop there. The shop keeper was VERY helpful in explaining about the selection of beer/ales they had. Ended up buying two stouts, a German beer and 2 Belgian beer. They sell international beers that is hard to get elsewhere. Furthermore, you can get a peak of their brewery too for free! Awesome. If you love beer / ales and if you are in Surrey, a must place to visit.

Visited November 2013
Castillion
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great Brewery Tour - well worth the money & wait.”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Now I know why we had to wait 6 weeks to book a Friday night tour.. What an evening, Barry our guide was informative and fun. The beer flowed very generousy with jug after jug delivered at each point of the tour. Its a small brewery with not so much to see but Barry made it very interactive, We got to taste and smell some of the raw ingerdients that go into the beer ( 3 types of Malt and one hops) . The beer shop at the end is superb with great friendly people throughout, I cannot recomend this tour enough..If you are a beer lover , this tour is a must. Try the cider , its lovely although not made at the Hogs Back..
Whatever you do, DO NOT DRIVE..... the Free glass is a nice little touch & I for sure will be signing up and going back for another tour soon..

Visited November 2013