“good German food”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authetic Bavarian Restaurant
Reviewed 27 September 2013

St. Louis is an area composed originally of lots and lots of Germans, but we have very few restaurants serving German food--good or otherwise. This is quite acceptable. The sampler plates are a great way to begin--three different sauces on schnitzels or roast beef--with red cabbage and spaetzle. It's not the easiest place to find; don't obey Mapquest's last turn; worth the search.

There are newer reviews for Roemer Topf

Reviewed 20 September 2013

It simply astonishing to run upon a genuine Bavarian restaurant in the cornfields of Illinois. But on reflection, maybe not. This restaurant just about 30 miles east of St. Louis and south of I 64 in Mascoutah, Illinois, is just west of New Baden. So the German heritage runs deep in the region. The restaurant occasionly is visited by groups of lederhosen clad men blowing on their alpenhorns.

After having an apfel schnappes, my partner took the flight of four beers. I was more than happy with the on draught Warsteiner Lager, a bright fresh German beer. I noted on the menu German Mosel wines including a Plesporter Michaelsberg and a Schnmitt Sohne Riesling - both are fruity Rhine wines that we have enjoyed before.

I had Jager Schnitzel served with spaetzle. My partner ordered a roast pork braised in Optimator Bier and served with spaetzle and red cabbage. She tasted the flight of four beers including an Oktoberfest version, as she ate the Roast.

Though I enjoyed my Schnitzle, I am used to a bit more richness in the sauce. And the spaetzle might be livened up a little as well...it was a little too cool. My partner just grinned through our main course. No problems there.

We inexplicably did something that we very seldom do: we ordered dessert. I ordered a Triple German chocolate cake and my partner opted for the "Tipsy" bread pudding which is versoffen served on spiced rum and vanilla cream sauce. I guess we were caught up in the moment.

The room is bright and airy and impeccably neat. It was a pleasure to dine with such comfortable surroundings.

Be aware that the restaurant is very difficult to locate with errors in the GPS system that can't seem to be resolved. Call ahead and they will help with directions.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We wish we liked this place better because it is so close, but some things just leave us scratching our heads. The schnitzel is fantastic but it is served only with French fries - no substitutions. We don't care for the potato pancakes at all. But the owner and staff are always friendly. They have a great selection of German beers - and they have a giant tower of beer that is very fun to order. Doing so usually inspires other tables to do so as well and the atmosphere livens up a bit. Very difficult to find if you are unfamiliar with it.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Driving from Florida to Colorado, this restaurant made a nice change from the usual road food. It was recommended by the receptionist at the hotel we were staying at. Not being from the area, it was tricky to find but the GPS got us there. Thank goodness! I ordered two dinners to go. The meals were delicious! Only drawback was I couldn't get a beer to go as well.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Food Is Good With A Good Variety. Atmosphere Is Not Great Located In Old Golf Club House. Menu A Little Pricy.