“WUNDERBAR!!”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authetic Bavarian Restaurant
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Oh dear...how can we post about this restaurant without drooling on the keyboard?! Roemer Topf is WONDERFUL!

This place is a hidden gem. It's tucked away, off the main drag, near an old golf course. There's plenty of parking, and the building is inviting and easy to access. As soon as you set foot inside, you're transported to Deutschland!

Friendly and fun servers are ready to seat you in the large dining room, filled with German decor. It's expansive, yet cozy.

The menu is extensive and exclusively German, and we mean AUTHENTIC German cuisine. We've tried many of the entrees, and have yet to be disappointed.

The Jager Schnitzel is a real favorite, as is the ever-popular Schwaben Teller! We love that they keep German beers on hand, and there's even a talented accordion player that entertains on some weekends.

Renate' is the sweetest and most attentive Hostess (Owner!). She is first generation German to the U.S.; and you won't find a harder worker. Her energy is buoyant and fun. She remembers you, even if you've only visited once.

She makes sure to check on every guest, and goes above and beyond -- the decor, cleanliness, entertainment, food, and customer accommodations are ABOVE STANDARD in every aspect.

The staff even adjusted their way of cleaning (sprayed chemical products), so that we didn't experience any respiratory problems during our visits. We decided to have a large work function there during the lunch hour, and Roemer Topf was terrific in managing the crowd, and the kitchen requirements.

We cannot say enough GREAT THINGS about Roemer Topf. It is by far THE BEST German restaurant you will find in the Saint Louis area!!! Definitely the real deal - you'll LOVE it!

1  Thank lauramaymuse

Reviewed 27 September 2013

St. Louis is an area composed originally of lots and lots of Germans, but we have very few restaurants serving German food--good or otherwise. This is quite acceptable. The sampler plates are a great way to begin--three different sauces on schnitzels or roast beef--with red cabbage and spaetzle. It's not the easiest place to find; don't obey Mapquest's last turn; worth the search.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

It simply astonishing to run upon a genuine Bavarian restaurant in the cornfields of Illinois. But on reflection, maybe not. This restaurant just about 30 miles east of St. Louis and south of I 64 in Mascoutah, Illinois, is just west of New Baden. So the German heritage runs deep in the region. The restaurant occasionly is visited by groups of lederhosen clad men blowing on their alpenhorns.

After having an apfel schnappes, my partner took the flight of four beers. I was more than happy with the on draught Warsteiner Lager, a bright fresh German beer. I noted on the menu German Mosel wines including a Plesporter Michaelsberg and a Schnmitt Sohne Riesling - both are fruity Rhine wines that we have enjoyed before.

I had Jager Schnitzel served with spaetzle. My partner ordered a roast pork braised in Optimator Bier and served with spaetzle and red cabbage. She tasted the flight of four beers including an Oktoberfest version, as she ate the Roast.

Though I enjoyed my Schnitzle, I am used to a bit more richness in the sauce. And the spaetzle might be livened up a little as well...it was a little too cool. My partner just grinned through our main course. No problems there.

We inexplicably did something that we very seldom do: we ordered dessert. I ordered a Triple German chocolate cake and my partner opted for the "Tipsy" bread pudding which is versoffen served on spiced rum and vanilla cream sauce. I guess we were caught up in the moment.

The room is bright and airy and impeccably neat. It was a pleasure to dine with such comfortable surroundings.

Be aware that the restaurant is very difficult to locate with errors in the GPS system that can't seem to be resolved. Call ahead and they will help with directions.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We wish we liked this place better because it is so close, but some things just leave us scratching our heads. The schnitzel is fantastic but it is served only with French fries - no substitutions. We don't care for the potato pancakes at all. But the owner and staff are always friendly. They have a great selection of German beers - and they have a giant tower of beer that is very fun to order. Doing so usually inspires other tables to do so as well and the atmosphere livens up a bit. Very difficult to find if you are unfamiliar with it.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Driving from Florida to Colorado, this restaurant made a nice change from the usual road food. It was recommended by the receptionist at the hotel we were staying at. Not being from the area, it was tricky to find but the GPS got us there. Thank goodness! I ordered two dinners to go. The meals were delicious! Only drawback was I couldn't get a beer to go as well.