“Families, please skip”

Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Matteson
Reviewed 5 July 2014

At first glance, everything looked clean, but then I noticed a piece of Twizzler wrapper trash left on floor under sink from previous occupants. The remote control had gross stuff between the buttons that I cleaned with a clorox wipe. I skipped a shower because the drain was terrible and I would have had to stand in a puddle of water to shower. The updates to the room looked beautiful but all I could wonder is how clean everything really was.
Now something that the hotel can't help: Other guests screaming and cussing at their kids in the hall. They must be used to these kinds of guests because there is a dress code after 9 PM at the restaurant/bar. (yes, seriously) I can't remember it all, but after 9 males must be 25 and females 21.
I took a chance after reading these mixed reviews. Seeing that the manger responded to complaints eased my mind, but we would not stay here again. I felt uneasy being here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear disneyfan01,

Ben J

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is not the regular hotel I stay at while transiting to Madrid via ORD. Because of a number of events, there were no hotels available in most of the Chicago area, and my travel agent and I missed the fact that there was no hotel listed on my itinerary. After about two hours of trying different hotels, my wife found this hotel had a room available. It is a LONG cab ride from O'Hare, about $150.00 worth, but better than sleeping at the airport. The lobby was huge, and very clean. The staff were friendly, but distracted and confused as they were checking someone in ahead of me. I don't think that either one of them had been on the job long. They had trouble finding my reservation, even with a confirmation number. As a result, check in took much longer than it should have, and by the time I was finished, there were people waiting behind me. This hotel is older and because of the era it was designed in, I was assigned a very large standard room. The bed and bathroom were clean, but the carpet was worn and not up to Holiday Inn standards. I also found that several of the power outlets in the room were worn out, and would not hold a plug properly. This is not a good indicator as to overall room maintenance. The wireless internet service was erratic, with signal strength highly variable and sometimes not there at all. The hotel was quiet, even though it was nearly full, and the sleep was fine. If I had been driving, the parking would have been excellent, with a very large parking lot. To recap, this hotel has some nice features, including a restaurant and convenience store in the lobby, but it needs serious upgrading and staff training improvements to rise above the average category.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear gmdalberta,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to know that you found our lobby huge and clean. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions, particularly the room maintenance, and internet connection may have caused. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Charisse V.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stay here about once a month for business travel, and every time I've stayed, I'm consistently satisfied. The hotel is indeed clean, quiet and affordable. Bar Louie is downstairs, and the food is always pretty good. The front desk staff are all really friendly and nice, especially David K., who's helpful advice is always on point.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After an extremely tiring weekend, we needed a hotel to stay in that was close to Chicago. This hotel was the perfect place! Sandra and Xavier, the front desk attendants, were kind and welcoming. They even listed to our a couple of our crazy stories from the weekend's events. I appreciated their hospitality and the cleanliness of the room!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel was great. David at the front desk was so friendly and helpful in every way. He was awesome. The rest of the staff was great as well. It would be a great place for a conference with plenty of room. There is a bar and lounge located there for entertainment purposes. I would definitely stay at this Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This best part of our stay was the staff. Holiday Inn should really be proud of the individuals working at their establishment. Leah, at the front desk, took great care of us from the moment we first spoke on the phone until we checked in. My husband and I were looking for a romantic break from kids and my mother, who we care for. Leah knew exactly what to do! She is an asset to the company. The staff in Bar Louie and the staff when we checked out were just as friendly and accommodating. Leah, thank you for a great stay! Also, there was free breakfast at Bar Louie in the hotel. It was not one of those continental breakfast where you can also make your own waffles. This was full on omelets, pancakes, bacon American style breakfast! That was a nice surprise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I am a frequent business traveler and spent four nights at this property. While the room was adequate and the restaurant food was good, the truly horrible customer service made this an experience I never wish to repeat. On my first day I ordered room service for breakfast and was overcharged. When I called and spoke with the restaurant manager, she was rude, repeatedly interrupted me, and argued with me. It takes a lot to make me upset enough to complain, but I don't tolerate poor customer service well. I noted the "Hospitality Promise" displayed in the front of the information booklet. It states: "Making your stay a complete success is your goal. Just let our manager on duty or front desk staff know if any part of your stay isn't satisfactory. We promise to make it right or you won't pay for that part of your stay." I asked at the front desk to speak with the manager on duty and was told that he was not in but that I could "check back tomorrow". My next issue was the van. It was scheduled to take me to my place of business at a prearranged time. I checked with the front desk 2.5 hours ahead of time to ensure that there would be no problems, and was assured that things would be fine. I then waited in sight of the front desk clerk, working on my computer. Approximately 30 minutes before time for the van to leave I checked with the front desk. She then called the van driver, and in turn informed me that he was "on break" and would not be available for 1.5 hours. I told her that me meeting started in 45 minutes and that I had flown in a day early just to be on time for it. She asked if I wanted her to call me a cab, and I said yes. An hour later the cab had still not arrived. I cancelled the cab, waited for the van, and was late for my meeting. There were several other issues that were relatively small and if they had occurred in isolation, would have been unimportant. However when added up, they became pretty annoying.I tried for 2 days to speak with the general manager, who I was told was on duty, and "would give me a call". This never happened. For me, this is the final frustration. I travel enough to know that things happen - no big deal. But when management doesn't appear to care about poor customer service or responding to guest's concerns, this is a big issue for me. This makes me reluctant to stay not only at this Holiday Inn, but at all Holiday Inn properties.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank LACTampa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago Matteson Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear LACTampa,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. It is regretful that this visit was a disappointment on several aspects. We have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G