“Best Mexican in town.”

El Vaquero
Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in Mattoon
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mattoon, Illinois
“Best Mexican in town.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We are regular visitors to this restaurant we live in town but I can tell you that this is hands-down the best Mexican restaurant in the town of Mattoon you won't be disappointed eating here.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank smokeyjsbbq

“Worth A Stop Off I-57”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

As a recent vegan I am constantly in search of a really tasty veggie fajita. Tonight....I found it! The server was prompt and the kitchen delivered the perfect "spicy" veggie fajita's. Not just loaded with jalapeño but a great mix if veggies and just the tight amount of heat. I now have a permanent stop off on my travels down I-57.

The margarita was not just a lot of mix and their "spicy" salsa is worth the ask.

Enjoy!!

1 Thank PHKOD
Mattoon, Illinois, United States
“Favorite restaurant”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I love the food! Absolutely my favorite place to eat! The service is great too, very fast and the food comes to the table sizzling. I have eaten here many times and never had a bad experience. The prices are very reasonable and the portions are huge. I always take home a container of leftovers.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Amanda R
Mattoon, Illinois
“Get the MEAT POT or El Mocajete”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have lived in Mattoon for almost 10 years now & I can say with confidence that this is the absolute best place to get Mexican food around. My favorite dish is the title of my review & I get it everytime. The service, food, drinks, portions, prices, seating, & atmosphere are all fantastic. A+++

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jessica N
Sherwood, Wisconsin
“Great service, good to very good food.”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Dinner with friends and the service from when we walked in to when we checked out was outstanding. The Saturday special, a pork dish, was excellent. The fajitas were a bit dry but good flavor and generous. Recommend their margaritas. The atmosphere is typical Mexican restaurant style.

Visited February 2014

Been to El Vaquero? Share your experiences!