“Fine if you don't care about internet access”

Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Mattoon
Hanover Park, IL USA
“Fine if you don't care about internet access”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I travel to Mattoon somewhat frequently and had heard nice things about the Quality Inn. The price was quite attractive for the Friday kicking off Memorial Day weekend and we decided to give it a try. The motel itself looks fairly new and the staff was very nice when we checked in. Things are clean and seem to be in good working order. The fact they have a partial gravel parking lot in front of the motel seems a little strange, but I assume the owners were strapped for $$ when renovating this property and that was one place they decided to cut costs. From a motel room standpoint I'm quite satisfied.

Sadly it seems they do not recognize that in 2014 internet connectivity is very important to many guests. They do offer wifi in the motel, of course. I asked to be placed in a room with the best internet access when we checked in. The desk clerk indicated if that was important we definitely needed to be on the first floor. Well, if this is the best access they have, that must mean the 2nd floor can't connect at all. It's borderline unusable for anything, and certainly for anything that requires a stable connection it won't work at all. I've experienced this in motels before at peak usage times (I tried last night around 10pm and had major problems). However, on a Saturday morning at 7:30 I would expect a motel's internet to be showing good performance. The speed and connectivity were just as poor at that time.

If you don't care about using a wireless connection, you may very well like this property. If being able to use the internet is important to you, my suggestion is to look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Latonya_13, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites for your recent visit to Mattoon. We are currently changing out Wireless services at the property and hope that you have an opportunity to stay again once the update is complete. We are glad you found the staff to be friendly and the rooms to be well kept. We look forward to doing business with you in the future. Once more, on behalf of the hotel, I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

With family living in Mattoon my wife and I find ourselves staying at motels in Mattoon a few times a year. Historically we've always stayed at one of several chain motels at the Highway 16 exit of I-57, but based upon reviews and a competitive price we chose the Quaility Inn & Suites Conference Center just down the road at the Highway 45 exit to Mattoon. We made a very good choice with the Quality Inn, and with fair prices in the future it will be our Mattoon motel of choice.
This rather new (4 years) motel had lobby floors of marble, and the open lobby was quite large. All personnel during our two night stay were extremely friendly and accommodating. The hallway carpeting and lobby furniture were clean and showed no signs of wear. Our room was clean and large. The “Q Breakfast” was a big surprise. It was more a small breakfast buffet than continental breakfast. It held scrambles eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, waffles, and all the other standard continental breakfast items. The motel was well off the road and quiet. From the north drive a few miles down I-57 and you may find a better place to stay in Mattoon!

Room Tip: Remember there are two exits off I-57 at Mattoon.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
First off, I would like to thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon for your recent visit! We are so glad you remembered there were two exits and found our hotel to be so wonderful! Our staff works very hard to keep the property looking as great as possible. Our housekeepers take pride in what they do and I am so happy that reflected to you as one of our valued guests. The "Q Corner Cafe" offers hot, fresh & healthy options for all types of travelers and we are so glad you enjoyed it! We look forward to being your choice every time you are in the area! Once again, thank you for such positive feedback regarding your time here at Exit 184!
Manhattan, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Like to try different options when in this area so jumped on this location when noticed rates were comparable to better than others. Might seem like out of the way, but just 4 miles from Mattoon's downtown taking Rte. 45, and just 4 miles away from I-57 Charleston/Mattoon exit if taking interstate right by hotel. Check in was ok, seems like computer runs a bit slow. Room was new, nice setup with fridge and microwave in an efficient cabinet. Fridge compressor was a bit loud. Mattress and many square pillows were comfortable. Breakfast was plentiful, with options that day including scrambled eggs, sausage links, bacon, make your own waffles, an assortment of other flour based goodies, yogurt. Might not have been homemade, but was still good, and free. Juices, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, and an assortment of teas rounded out the selections. Well worth the stay.

Room Tip: Would recommend room away from interstate side
1 Thank roadtripmajik
Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon for your stay in April. We are glad you gave us a try and enjoyed our plentiful breakfast! It is definitely the right way to get your morning started! We get many compliments on the comfort of our high quality mattresses and are happy you enjoyed them. The staff and I would love to do business with you in the future if you are in the area.
Port Orange, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Was on our way to Chicago area to visit son. I usually try to stay at Choice Suites or Sleep Inn and not a Quality Inn because of 2 previous not so great stays but based on reviews here and its proximity to Chicago (was coming from Memphis). We arrived around 8PM and were warmly greeted by front office staff. Check in was quick and easy. Room was very large, very clean and quiet. Bed was comfortable. In the AM went for breakfast and was cheerfully greeted by Paige before we even got into the breakfast room. Breakfast was great. Front desk personnel from arrival to departure could not have been more friendly and helpful as was Paige. I have stayed at many other higher rated hotels that couldn't match up to this place. Would definitely stay here again if going this way.

1 Thank robertru44
Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon for your lodging needs during your trip to visit with your son! Some people forget there are two exits off of I-57 into Mattoon! We are so pleased to hear that Paige was attentive and friendly and will be sure to let her know your positive feedback! Those kind words help us continue to be an award winning hotel and grow more each day. We hope you are in the area again soon so we can have the pleasure of doing business with you.
Oak Brook, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Very clean hotel with comfortable bed and staff that is very friendly. Great interior that is very nicely decorated. The hallways and rooms of the hotel have ample space in which to move freely. The breakfast had variety of items to choose from and was fully stocked. I will stay here again when visiting Mattoon area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites for your lodging needs during your recent trip to the area. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful property and spacious corridors. The "Q Corner Cafe" offers a wonderful variety of fresh, hot & healthy items to be sure each guest starts their day off right! We look forward to doing business with you in the future and would like to thank you once more for your positive feedback and kind words about our property.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I was very excited to get this hotel at such a great rate when I booked online... I readball of the great reviews about it. My experience wasn't great. The rooms appear nice but there's little things that bugged me. You could tell the hotel was rushed to be finished... I saw four examples where there was unfinished work from the construction in my room alone! Otherwise the room was pleasant. The service was friendly and quick. The breakfast was terrible... the powdered eggs and dried biscuits were awful. I didn't drink anything and opted to go to the next exit to buy a mcmeal instead.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Michael,

Thank you for staying with us at the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon. I am glad you booked at a great rate and we pride ourselves on being a multi-award winning property through both Trip Advisor and Choice Hotels International. We hope that you come stay with us again soon to experience our wonderful property. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us grow and continue to be the best we can be.
Lafayette, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Very clean rooms, comfortable beds, and the people who work there are wonderful. My husband and I stayed there Feb. 22, 2014, and I left my iPad in our room when we went back to Tennessee. I called as soon as I missed it, and the house keeper, Tonya had found it and turned it in. They mailed it to me. Awesome place to stay. Honest people.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vickie C
Vickie

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Quality Inn & Suites in Mattoon. I am thrilled to hear that we were able to find your misplaced item and send it back to you in a speedy fashion! Our staff is very hard working and honest and we are very excited you got to personally experience that! We look forward to seeing you soon and would like to thank you for your positive feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mattoon
Baymont Inn & Suites Mattoon
#7 of 9 in Mattoon
Unique Suites Hotel
Unique Suites Hotel
#2 of 2 in Charleston

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center? Share your experiences!