“WHERE DO I BEGIN..........”

Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Mattoon
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was traveling 7 hours out of state to pick my son up from band camp. At the last minute my dad decided to ride along. I had already booked the hotel through Orbitz with one king bed (thinking I would be alone) First, although the address of this hotel is Mattoon, it is south of Mattoon and not by the Mattoon area. There is a McDonalds across the street, but no gas station, or anything else and as far as I could tell no restaurant at the hotel. We arrived @8pm. The hotel is very large and on the night we were there it was not 1/2 full. I asked the desk clerk to change my room and she refused because I had booked on Orbitz. I mentioned that I did not was to cancel my room, I just wanted a room with two beds so that I didn't have to sleep with my father. (Who then offered to sleep in a chair!) She said since I booked through Orbitz she could not cancel or change my reservation because of their policy. I asked to speak to the manager, the sign behind the desk said manager on duty : Kelly Campbell, but there was actually not a manager on duty. The desk clerk, Paige, then explained to me that I would have to call orbitz and then orbitz would have to call them, then they could cancel the reservation and book a new one. As Paige had "done the same with a guy earlier that day". Due to our late arrival it was difficult to explain to Orbitz was we were wanting to do. They thought I was wanting to cancel after the cancelation policy time. They did not quite understand that I was just trying to get a different room. Anyway....after an hour and a half (it is now 9:15) it is finally straightened out and I am able to get a room with 2 beds. Paige was very apologetic and explained that she had to follow the exact process or risk getting "ripped a new one" by her manager tomorrow.
We were then put into room 100 right by the lobby and exit and the wall was so thin that we could hear the conversations of people in the lobby on their cell phones. It appeared that the rooms were in renovation as there was brown tile putty on the bathroom floor. The bathroom was dated, but overall the room was very basic. The breakfast was a very typical hotel breakfast. OUTDOOR POOL!
My advice to this hotel is that if you are going to allow people to make online reservations you need to be flexible with them as life happens and things change. What you did was make sure that I will never stay at your hotel again!!!!!

Room Tip: This hotel is not by anything!!! If you don't like to eat McDonalds I would recommend staying so...
2  Thank sne1516

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great, friendly service, clean rooms, and full breakfast make this hotel a gem. We paid about $68 per night and it was a bargain. Beds were very comfortable too. We didn't get to use the outdoor pool but it looked very nice. Breakfast included the average continental offerings plus eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, and biscuits and gravy! Very friendly staff. The only complaint I have is the individual a/c units in each room. Since this is a newer hotel I would have expected central air. They were a bit noisy and even though they kept the rooms cool there was a draft by the beds. Anyway, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues ask for a room near elevator. The hall extends a long way.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Latonya_13, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon! We are so glad you found value in our price for all of the extras we offer! We take pride in giving our guests the best and most comfortable accommodations possible. Whether traveling for business or leisure, we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We needed to stay in the area for over a week and this very clean ,newly renovated hotel made for a very pleasant stay. The exit is by Lakeland College and is not the main Mattoon exit, but the advantage is less traffic and noise. A McDonalds is across the street. We will stay here again in the future. For the price, it is one of the best Choice Hotels!
The front desk staff is efficient and friendly. When we had special requests, staff member Mike responded immediately and exceeded our expectations. Cora kept the way above average hot breakfast running smoothly with above and beyond service along with a smile. We especially enjoyed the delicious hash brown potatoes, bacon and sausage links. There were nice touches like 2 newspapers and flavored creamers for the coffee. The fresh fruit was always available too.
The large outdoor pool was heated and the kids loved it. The depth was great for children, 3-4 ft.range. Ample tables and lounge chairs made it comfortable for families.
The fitness room was modest, but had more equipment than the token 2 or 3 one often finds in a Choice hotel. I especially liked the stretch machine.
The lounge area was comfortable and great for visiting. The beds were comfortable. Showers great. Had a refrigerator and microwave. Internet was fast, good, and easy to access.

I only wish there were more hotels like this one. Traveling would be much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room on the south side was quiet and sunny.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Latonya_13, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

First off, thank you so much for staying with us at the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon.
We are so glad you found our award winning staff to be helpful and friendly! I am thrilled that everything was above and beyond your expectations including our spacious outdoor pool area, our full hot breakfast & the state of the art fitness center! We would love to do business with you again very soon! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the wonderful and positive feedback! We here at the Quality love to see we are doing something right for our valued guests.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

New or newly remodeled hotel, not sure the conference center is functional yet. Clean, quiet rooms, heated outdoor pool, comfy bed, well lit bath, etc., all for less than $80 with tax!

If I could stay somewhere this nice, for this price, every night on the road, that would be fantastic.

Parking lot could use finished but maybe they just haven't got to that yet.

When through here again, I'll be staying!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Latonya_13, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the bed and pool during your stay! We pride ourselves on our fair rates and extra value we offer through amenities. We hope we get the opportunity to do business with you again very soon!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I bypassed Effingham in order to get a little closer to Chicago on a recent trip. At this exit, there isn't a whole lot: a Mcdonalds, a gas station, and this hotel. But don't let that dissuade you! If you're just stopping through, they'll take care of you!
The front desk was really helpful a few special needs that I had. The breakfast is better than most do it yourself types. They have sausage, bacon, eggs (scrambled and hard boiled), hash browns, Belgian waffle iron, biscuits and gravy, etc. And they were running low at the end of the breakfast period, but the kitchen attendant specifically came up to us and asked if she could make more of anything for us!
We had 2 queen beds with a pull out sofa bed. It's nice to get 5 people (or 6 if you need it) in a room, as many hotels will only fit 4 in a room. And the price was really no different than any other chain.

Room Tip: There's only 2 floors.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Latonya_13, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon. We love to see positive feedback! We are so glad you found our staff to be accommodating and that you enjoyed our full hot breakfast! We hope if you are ever passing through again we have the opportunity to serve you!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Nice place for the price
The state track meet was in a nearby city so finding rooms was tough.
Even though high school kids were there we did not hear much noise.
There was a great breakfast and they kept up with demand even with all the young people eating.
The bedding was comfortable and we will stay here again if we need a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing the Quality Inn & Suites for your lodging needs during the trip for your mother's birthday. We are so happy to hear that you found the bedding comfortable! We are proud to host the State Track Teams at our property each year and that our breakfast staff works quickly and efficiently to keep up with high demand on those busy weekends and are glad you noticed! Once more, we appreciate you taking your time to give us such positive feedback! We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel was ranked #1 in Mattoon by tripadvisior and the price I received on booking.com was very reasonable and thought I would give it a shot. We pulled up and the parking lot was pretty much empty and part of it was gravel. So first impression was not real good. Went to check in and no one at the front desk, but a sign by a telephone that said dial 0, which I did and someone was right there to check me in and very friendly. I wasn't real thrilled with the layout of the hotel, only 1 elevator and not conveniently located. Our room was on the 2nd floor down a long hall way then had to take a left and down another long hallway. But I can say it was very quiet. Room was nice but for being a newer hotel could use some maintenance work. Walls nicked and looks like water stained, holes where pipes go into wall under the bathroom sink. The bed was very comfortable. Houskeeping very friendly. Didn't use the outdoor pool, but looked nice. Didn't eat breakfast so can't comment. Overall was average.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the Quality Inn & Suites of Mattoon. We are so happy you found our hotel to be a quiet and restful place. We pride ourselves on our excellent and friendly staff. We hope that if you are ever in the area again, you come by and visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mattoon
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mattoon
#7 of 9 in Mattoon
Unique Suites Hotel
Unique Suites Hotel
#2 of 2 in Charleston

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Conference Center? Share your experiences!