“This is a review of the latest restaurant located in Crystal Lake, Il.”
Review of Plum Garden

Plum Garden
Ranked #8 of 114 Restaurants in McHenry
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2018

For a new restaurant, the old Porter restaurant's seating has been incorporated in this new facility. With hard seats in the booths. The service is lackadaisical , and not very pleasant. More of a rail station atmosphere, rather than the original Plum Garden located in McHenry. The entree portions are humongous , and will serve at least 2 people, if not more. But very tasty and well prepared. This restaurant is recommended for the occasional diner, but not for the ones who have the trend to go more than twice a month! We are fussy diners who look for atmosphere, quiet and constant attention to serve the customer.

1  Thank Hollandsglory

Reviewed 24 June 2018

Plum Garden just opened the Crystal Lake location and possibly still need to work out the kinks. I was very disappointed. The orange and sweet and sour chicken had breading that was soggy without a sign of crispiness. The beef tenderloin pepper steak had little to no flavor.

On the positive note the crab rangoon was tasty and portions were much larger than other Chinese restaurants. If you usually order Large a small will work. In addition they offer you the option of white or fried rice.

It could be the newness and volume of customers that created this disappointing experience.

1  Thank Lisa_CrystalLake_IL
Nicholas B, General Manager at Plum Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Good Morning Lisa,

I was sorry to see your review of your recent experience as it looks like we missed the mark on the most important part of the meal, the entrees. I will have to check in with my kitchen staff to reinforce some preparation techniques to see why the main courses did not come out as we intend them to. I am however happy you enjoyed your appetizer and portion sizing we offer.

While I investigate further if you would like to message us your email I would be happy to send a gift card to entice you to return if you can find it in your heart to give us another try!

Reviewed 14 May 2018

Stopped here after a visit at McHenry hospital. The setting was done very nice and comfortable.
We wanted some leftovers, so we ordered the Love Boat Sampler. I got the Gluten Free Garlic Chicken with Fried Rice. My wife got the Three's Happiness.
The sampler was very good, and the egg rolls were very filling!
The Garlic Chicken was very good, although I like mine with a lot of garlic.
The Three's Happiness was very tasty!
The fried rice was OK, but seemed a little bland. There was something missing. I'm not sure if it was done in a newer wok that wasn't fully seasoned.
The portions were enormous! We had leftovers for 4 meals between the two of us!
The service was great!

Reviewed 11 May 2018

My husband and I went to dinner at Plum Garden to celebrate my birthday. I really liked that it had a very warm ambiance and authentic decor. We ordered the egg rolls, which were huge and delicious. I had the sweet and sour shrimp and fried rice. Both portions could easily feed two people. The shrimp were lightly battered and plentiful, with a nice blend of green pepper, tomatoes, pineapple and maraschino cherries. All in a not too sweet/sour sauce! I could not eat my entire entree, which was fine because I will have plenty for another meal. My husband enjoyed his meal as much as I did. We will definitely be back again!

Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Went to Plum Garden for my birthday. Some things have changed (menu design, dining space) many things remain as good as ever. I miss the chocolate fortune cookies, and I wish Perry hadn't given in to the legalized gambling craze. But Plum Garden remains one of my favorite McHenry restaurants. Gung hey fat choi!

Been to Plum Garden? Share your experiences!