“Worst ever ! Avoid at all costs !!!”

Motel 6 Melrose Park, IL
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Melrose Park
Reviewed 9 July 2014

After a late-night flight cancellation, there were few options nearby to O'Hare Airport to choose from. Based on reasonable prior experience at other Econo Lodge's, we gave this one a try. Big mistake. To say the hotel was shabby is an understatement. On check-in at 1:30AM, we saw (being politically correct here) an "undesirable element" at the front desk asking for a cab to take her home. On the way back to the rooms, the stench of bug spray and cigarettes was overwhelming. There was garbage in the hallway and stains everywhere you looked. The room was just as bad. Same foul odor plus stains on the bedspread, covers, and linens. Hair on the bed, bathroom sink and tub. We were so afraid of bedbugs and disgusted by the conditions that we checked out immediately and returned to the airport to pull an all-nighter next to baggage claim. They CHARGED us for the room anyway and we had to fight with corporate to get compensated.

Room Tip: Go back to the airport and sleet there. Better than staying at ANY room in this fleabag hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FactCheckGuy
Sunny P, Manager at Motel 6 Melrose Park, IL, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review our newly branded Econolodge! We have recently taken over this hotel, re-branded it, have gone through every room, cleaned it from top to bottom and begun making major improvements. We are truly sorry your past experience was less than par and it was situation's beyond our control but assure you that we now have a fresh, new, clean Econolodge! We hope you will come back soon to give us another shot!

Econolodge Operations Management Team!

There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Melrose Park, IL

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I made a quick trip to Chicago as it was St Patrick day no rooms were available anywhere near Downtown. I came to this hotel as last resort, and I'd better sleep on a bench at the airport.
Building is old and is falling appart, seems no maintainance is planned soon. First thing is that there is a nightclub inside hotel, where you can find a lot of thugs coming and going, stairwell is dirty and smells like pot, a drunk thug pissed on a room door (was not mine thankfully) and seems nobody cares. Zone is dangerous and I next day I was followed by a scary looking man 5 blocks, I had to take a cab. Room is dirty and moldy, I do not know if I was scared or something but next morning Iike flea or mosquito bites in my chest and arms. I should say that fronk desk girl was kind and also shuttle driver who took me to airport next morning no charge (Because you were brave enough to stay here) Now I think of it as a very risky advendute but I would not recommend anyone to stay here ever!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay a nigth here (disregarding the warnings) ask for a room away from nigthclub Lo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My girlfriend & me stayed at this hotel for a vacation & we liked the hotel. Staff was friendly, room was in good shape, bed was comfortable, Water in battub could have been better. Overall it was good

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The pictures speak for themselves. Proceed with caution! Newly renamed the Sketchy Inn. People randomly knock at the door in the middle of the night. My door lock was hanging by a screw. The front desk and van driver did their best to be kind and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Airangel1
Reviewed 23 June 2014

UNSAFE, trashy, stains everywhere, seedy characters staying/living there. I went to the hotel and opted to sleep at the airport instead. The shuttle driver (who was an hour late) didn't want to go back to the airport to pick up travelers because he was "tired and wanted to hit a bowl". I have fairly low standards for hotels when I need a place to crash for a few hours until I can get out on another flight, but this place is nasty.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DCBizTraveler1140
Reviewed 23 June 2014

To start upon arriving they said my room would not be ready for about 30 mins (although my reservation was for 2 hours prior) not a big deal to wait for a little bit- not a problem. As I was waiting for my room and making small talk, I mentioned to the "manager" that I was here for a LGBT event this weekend he then told me they would not have a room ready for me for another 2 hours (keep in mind we were having a conversation this entire time, no other employee called or talked to him or told of any delays etc with my room). This "new" 2 hour delay was purely made up by him based upon our conversation and what he perceived my sexuality to be. I went to get something to eat while my room is getting readied, returned and checked in. As others have stated the hallways are in major disrepair (bad patches and stains every where). Upon entering my room more of the same, this hotel needs a complete remodel besides the many cosmetic flaws there are drainage and hot water issues also. I called the front desk to ask for another room and of course there were no other rooms available at that time. As I had an event to attend that evening and would not be spending a lot of time in the room I stayed the night. As I returned later that evening to my room the hallways smelled very heavily of pot smoke. I went to sleep and first thing in the morning checked in at the Super 8 about 2-3 blocks north

Room Tip: Want a better room try the Super 8 a couple of blocks north, that's what I did the following day
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 21 June 2014

American Airlines cancelled our flight, rebooked us on another, kept moving the new flight back and finally cancelled that one. Because we had been jacked around so much and cancelled late (thanks American), this Econo Lodge was the only hotel we could find. There is not much we can add to the other bad reviews on this hotel--they are all correct and it is REALLY, REALLY BAD. In addition to the deplorable conditions, we waited over and hour for their shuttle and the requested wake-up call did not come--luckely, we had backed up the call with our cell phone alarm. The return shuttle also left 10 minutes late.

The tub was nasty, but we chanced it because we were in bad need of a shower after running around the airport from one AA counter to another for most of the day--then we put our dirty soxs back on before walking on the carpet. With the exception of the shower, sleeping in the airport would have been a better option.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside
Candlewood Suites Chicago O'Hare
The Carleton of Oak Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West

Been to Motel 6 Melrose Park, IL? Share your experiences!