“Good food, good service, worth the drive off I39”

Ziggie's Family Room Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Mendota
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Winnebago, Illinois
“Good food, good service, worth the drive off I39”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We travel up and down I-39 often, and stop in Mendota for a bite frequently.
This trip, we drove past the fast food places for another two minutes to go to a "real" restaurant, Ziggies Family Room. This is a basic All-American diner: nothing fancy, but everything is good.
Clean, bright dining room. Friendly, fast but unhurried service. Large menu for a diner. Good burgers, waffles. Big portions. I thought the grilled liver and onions was the best I've had in years.
This is the kind of place that if some national news story ever happened in Mendota, the reporters would come to Ziggies' for the local angle.
So if you're crusing down I-39 and want some down home stick to the ribs food made right, take the extra mile and pass the fast-food joints and head to Ziggie's

• Visited June 2013

Oak Park, Illinois
“Homestyle fare”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This restaurant has a nice homespun ambience. FOod is basic but serving sizes are large, so you won't leave hungry.

Visited April 2013
chicago
“Great Tilapia”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The Tilapia here is much better than many more expensive restaurants in Chicago. First, it was baked and not fried. Second, the spices used were second to none. Our waitress was very courteous and even fun telling us about the Corn Festival that is held in Mendota every September. Sitting around us were farmers out for dinner and talking about thier farms the ammount of rainfall they have recieved so far this year. This place is true great midwestern dining at it's best. Open 24/7.

• Visited February 2013
northern Illinois
“a local favorite”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Ziggies has been around for ages. Its owned and run by an Albanian family. They give huge portions, and reasonable prices. The waitresses are friendly, too.

Visited December 2011
Indiana
“Good food--enormous portions”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

It was a cool rainy evening and we were famished. We found Ziggie's and the BBQ ribs had my name on them. There was enough meat for 3 people but it was excellent quality and I ate most of it. My husband had fish which was almost more than he could eat. It is not a fancy restaurant but the prices are reasonable and the food is good.

Visited April 2012