“Terrible, not worth the $$”

Holiday Inn Express Metropolis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Metropolis
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Decided to branch out from Motel 6 as according to Travelocity there was no pet restrictions. However, when printing off confirmation, it stated was a $10 fee for pets. Upon arrival, we were told was a $20 fee per pet above 40pds! Night attendant did nothing to address this even when when my confirmation shown. And when going to the 3rd floor, horrible smoke smell in hallway, was as bad as a bar (to have nom-smoking room). Staff had put an air purifier in hallway but not making difference. Breakfast terrible, pancake maker not working, egg/biscuit warmer not working. Most DEFINITELY not worth the extra $$. Save your money and go back to the Motel 6!

Stayed: June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Amyliz1974,

Thank you for leaving us a review about your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while visiting our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Metropolis

Reviewed 10 June 2014

When we got there we were told that the pool was closed but the staff gave us money off of our bill which I greatly appreciated and they apologized several times! The first thing that my kids asked when I went back to the car to get the rest of the family is 'Can we go swimming?'. I told them that we couldn't and while they were disappointed, they did notice that there were free chocolate chip cookies and they were happy again! The room was not outstanding but it wasn't bad either. The air conditioning cooled our room fine but the fan would keep kicking on and off throughout the night. It wasn't enough to make it a bad stay though and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Jana K,

Thank you for leaving us a feedback about your recent stay. I am glad to know that the problem encountered with the pool facility was addressed immediately. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it is regrettable we fell short of your expectations during your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced with air conditioning unit. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions seriously so that we can improve and provide remarkable service that our guests deserves.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the lowest review I have ever given. I will start out with the positives...it is easy to get to, and we booked with points, so it was free. The staff was friendly, it's very close to restaurants, and that's where the positives end. The hotel was older and very worn. The pool was closed for "repair and cleaning". As you could see from previous reviews, the bathroom is tiny and hard to manage with a family of four. The door opens in, so it's hard for even one person to use the toilet and shower. If you are a larger person at all, good luck. There also seemed to be a permanent noise machine outside in the marking lot to maybe scare off birds? it ran all night long. The room was hot (air conditioning didn't keep up) and the breakfast was a scandal! Thank goodness we travel with a cooler. Kids ate the pancakes which were fine, but I opted for something out of the van, and the coffee was pretty skunky. We drove to a gas station to get some instead. Very thankful we only had to stay one night. Book elsewhere!

Room Tip: Although it is close to the highway, the highway noise is not the problem. Noise machine in parking...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Vic M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Liberty K,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I would like to sincerely apologize that we fell short in providing the excellent facilities that have become the cornerstone of Holiday Inn Express hotels around the world.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the pool being down on the day of your arrival; for the noise coming from the parking lot; and the poor breakfast experience you had. We take our guest comments/reviews very seriously. I have shared your comments with my colleagues, and are going to make sure that this sort of thing does not happen again in the future.

Once again, I apologize and regret that this negatively impacted your experience at our hotel.

Vic M

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The front desk staff here is wonderful - friendly and helpful even when arriving after midnight. Hotel is small, a bit older, but well kept. It's very easy to get to from the highway. We will definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Wanted to book a room using my IHG points and blonde girl at front desk was S L O W as molasses! I think on purpose too. First off, she said she couldn't book the room with my points and that I would have to call IHG club to do it. Asked her for the number. She spent 5 minutes looking thru a pamphlet for the number. Why would a Holiday Inn clerk not have the club number? She finally dialed and I got to reserve the room. She was S L O W to complete the transaction.
Later this blonde desk clerk was right outside the front door smoking - so you have to wade thru disgusting cigarette smoke to go in and out of the hotel. Very unsightly and unprofessional to see the front desk clerk smoking in front of the main door entrance.
The bathroom door is in the way when using tub, toilet, etc. Weird design!
The room smelled musty and moldy upon entering so had to run the AC even though its cold out.
Breakfast is meager and barely could feed my bird.
NOT suitable for extended stays, but will do for 1 over night on the way thru this silly town.
Hard to get into the facility too, you have to pass it, than double back into the parking lot.
Would NOT return unless forced too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Vic M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear JimB_Traveler,
Thank you for your feedback, for being an IHG Rewards Club member, and also for staying with us on your trip through this area. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient for a 1 night stay if you are passing through this area. However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the Front Desk staff, your Guest room experience, and the breakfast selection which was meager. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate persons concerned. I have addressed the issue with the Front desk employee, Housekeeping supervisor, and Breakfast Hostess, and made sure that they are all on the same page as our vision, which is 'Great Hotels, Guests Love'. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
Vic M

Reviewed 4 April 2014

The facility was neat, attractive, and clean. The staff were all friendly, helpful, and courteous. The beds were extremely comfortable -- wished I could take the mattress and pillows with me. We asked how old the place was and we were told it had been renovated in 2009. Everything looked so fresh and well-kept that we were amazed it had not been done within a year. The indoor pool and whirlpool were in good condition. The breakfast was tasty and offered a variety of pastries, muffins, breads, cold and hot cereals, as well as sausage, eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy, juices, milks, yogurt, and hot beverages. Vending machines were reasonably priced (comparable to the ones at my workplace) and conveniently located , along with the ice machine.
Room service is not available but Domino's and Pizza Hut deliver. Not a big problem because there are plenty of restaurants within 5 - 10 miles.

Room Tip: A top floor room would probably have been a tad quieter -- the room above us had busy people in it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed for one night with our two grown collies and new collie pup. The staff was very nice and extremely accommodating. The room was like brand new and very comfortable. Great place when traveling with pets the grounds around the hotel were nice for walking the dogs too.

Room Tip: Very nice comfortable rooms. The first floor room at the back side of the motel has a nice view of a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Metropolis
Harrah's Metropolis
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 6 in Metropolis
La Quinta Inn & Suites Paducah
Auburn Place Hotels and Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Metropolis? Share your experiences!