“Plenty good enough for a frugal freeway traveler” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Minonk

Motel 6 Minonk
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Minonk
Basswood Grove, MN
“Plenty good enough for a frugal freeway traveler”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

I've stayed here a number of times, and it's always been a perfectly adequate and clean place to spend the night, plus a great value ($39) just off the freeway.

Is this a vacation stop? No. It's a Motel 6 in the middle of an Illinois corn field with a tasty (cheap) truck stop restaurant across the parking lot, and a friendly automotive repair shop that fixed my muffler before my kids woke up.

There's no in-room coffee, no little shampoo bottles, no swimming pool, and no free breakfast with annoying families elbowing their way to the waffle maker in jammies and bare feet. It's a comfy bed in a clean room with cable tv and free wireless.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank ElevatorBaybies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Southwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

On the plus side, this hotel has lots of vending machines. That is about it. <>
The rooms are adequate, but do not come with shampoo or a clock. These are very helpful necessities. I do not bring my own alarm clock with me, so I had to rely on the wakeup call and my cell phone clock. The rooms smelled like smoke vaguely and there were not enough towels. The towels were also very small. The T.V had a few channels and that was fine with me, because we luckily were not spending a lot of time there. The beds were comfortable, although when we got into our rooms it was 54 degrees!!! The guy at the front desk had difficulty with english, and was not there when we turned in our roomkeys upon leaving. Nobody was there actually. He didn't look very professional either. I couldn't tell whether he was an employee or patron when we checked in. <>
I guess my main beef is that it wasn't worth the 50+ dollars a night per person. I would have been happier at a classier hotel even if I had to pay a few more dollars. The scrimping on the basics was very noticeable.

• Liked — lots of vending machines
  • Disliked — service was poor, and no clocks , shampoo, ... essentials in room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Biancaa
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

If you're looking for accomodations based solely on price, and you find yourself in Minonk, Illinois, this would be the place for you. Motel 6's are notoriously bare bones, and this is no different, perhaps barer than some. They do give a ten percent discount to AAA or AARP members, or even if you're just over 50, though you should ask for it, otherwise they'll ring you in at the regular rack rate. The bed was decent, and I found the pillows surprisingly comfortable. OK water pressure, plenty hot. What they don't have is shampoo, a clock in the room, or great lighting, so if you like to read before hitting the sack, you may want to pack a 100 watt light bulb. Towels are also pretty thin--kind of like drying yourself with Kleenex.

What kind of turned me off about the place is the cleanliness, or lack thereof. There were the same disgusting stains in the elevator the day I checked out as the day I checked in, ones that could be easily cleaned with a bottle of Fantastik and a bit of elbow grease. Same flotsam strewn around the floor as well. Yuk. Also, after my room was serviced, the door was left open for anybody to wander into--this happened more than once.

Bottom line: fine for those pinching pennies, don't expect too much.

Stayed November 2008
3 Thank ddg0tr0cks
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

I just returned home after a three day unexpected 'vacation' to Minonk. My son's car broke down there and I had to drive one of our extra SUVs there(from central Wisconsin) so he could continue on to St. Louis. It took Ufting Automotive a couple of days to find an engine for his wounded SUV and I stayed at the local Motel 6(I think this is the only place to stay in this area).Anyway it turned out to be much better than I had anticipated. The cost was incredibly reasonable. But the room was fine too -- clean, comfortable bed(if you are 'into' good pillows, I'm not, you might want to bring your own),bathroom had a great bathtub,At this point, I'm really at a loss to think of anything to criticize about my three days in Minonk or my stay at Motel 6. Kris, the manager, of the hotel was especailly helpful.

As an aside, Minonk may lack some of the pizazz of other towns but that may not be all bad. All the people I met were some of the friendliest imaginable.

And if you happen to have car problems, don't worry Terry at Uftring Automotive will treat you right.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank litlady44
Johnson City, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2006

For at least 12 hours, this was the most beautiful hotel in the world. This hotel is located on I-39 and is one of the very few on that stretch of highway.

My parents and I were travling in the aftermath of an ice storm, and this hotel appeared on the horizon just as my nerves were so frazzled that I could not drive any further.

Amazingly, the hotel was charging regular rates (around $50/night) even with a stormbound, captive audience.

This Motel 6 has indoor corridors and virtually no lobby. The rooms were compact but clean. (This is a Motel 6, after all.) The beds (comfortable) and towels were what you'd expect from a Motel 6. Pillows weren't that great (but I always bring my own when on a road trip anyway). There was no internet access available. The selection of tv channels was ok, including HBO, Cartoon, TNT, USA, and Discovery. The room heat worked well, although the unit was noisy. The thermostat was digital and simple to adjust. The plumbing was very noisy, and there was a lot of noise from the corridor and from overhead. The bathroom was triangular shaped and the corner shower was weird but spacious. Water pressure was fine. The staff was friendly even when slammed with terrible snow/ice storm weather. Other than coffee, the hotel does not offer any kind of breakfast/snacks in the lobby. There are a couple small vending machines, and there is a large gas station / convenience store across the parking lot so you can load up on snacks and beer.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
4 Thank Rae A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minonk
Americas Best Value Inn- Wenona
Super 8 EL Paso IL
Super 8 EL Paso IL
#1 of 2 in El Paso

Been to Motel 6 Minonk? Share your experiences!