My husband and I rented a whirlpool suite for one night for our first wedding anniversary. (Labor Day weekend). We enjoyed it overall, though the room could have been better planned out and there were some fixtures in disrepair or missing lightbulbs. Everything was fine until we went to checkout and were told that since we "flooded" the whirlpool we were being charged a $125 property damage fee. Evidently some plaster fell off of the ceiling in the room below us and it was immediately assumed that we flooded the whirlpool. The assistant manager had added that charge and then left, and the front desk staff said they didn't have the authority to remove it until the cause of the water damage was investigated. (Even though housekeeping said the carpet around our whirlpool was dry). After one and half hours of waiting/talking to the assistant manager by phone we finally got that charge removed, but were still charged for the room. We came back to the hotel the next day to speak with the general manager, when it was discovered that the whirlpool had a massive leak from one of the pipes underneath. The manager did apologize but blamed the absurd handling of the situation on the fact that it was a holiday weekend and the new assistant manager hadn't known to figure out the source of the damage before charging us. The manager was very nice and polite but she shook our hands and acted as though she expected us to just leave and be satisfied that we weren't charged the damage charge. Then she finally asked us to come back to her office where she offered us a gift certificate for another night's stay. We requested just to have our money refunded. She agreed to that but said though we had paid in cash she couldn't give us that back, the company would have to send us a check. After that she ended up giving us a gift certificate anyway, though we definitely won't be staying there over a holiday again. So, to be fair, we were refunded the money we paid for the room, plus a gift certificate, but we weren't treated very well and even at the end felt that the manager just refunded our money to get us to leave and did not seem to care that we had been wrongfully accused of damaging the property. She blamed it on the holiday weekend.
I realize the water pipe leaking was a fluke and could have happened at any hotel - but this hotel just handled it very poorly.
Also, the room was very spacious but when in the whirlpool suite you can hear all the noise from the neighboring room's bathroom right to the side of the whirlpool. It's not the most romantic thing to be in a hottub and hear someone using the facilities just on the other side of the wall.
The suites with the fireplaces aren't worth the extra money - they are poorly laid out and the fireplace is just a hole in a wall, no hearth or mantle.
The stuff animal on the bed was there when we arrived. After paying $200 for a suite I thought it was complimentary. But ten I read the tag and it had a cutesy poem saying that if you took it with you $20 would be charged to the room. I feel sorry for all the parents who have had to tell their whining children "no" once they have set eyes on it (or hands, judging by the tattered condition of the tag).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you're traveling to the Quad Cities to visit the John Deere Pavilion, take in a concert at the I-Wireless Center, cruise on The Celebration Belle, enjoy casinos, or visit the Rock Island Arsenal, we're the place to stay! If you are visiting students at Western Illinois University or Augustana, we are just down the road. Our relaxed Northwoods theme will help make Stoney Creek your home away from home! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stoney Creek Inn - Moline Hotel Moline
- Stoney Creek Hotel Moline