“Lovely Weekend Getaway”
Review of White Pines Inn

White Pines Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Morris
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We spent a weekend celebrating my birthday at the White Pines Inn. We have been to this beautiful park many times but had never stayed in the cabins before. Our cabin was very small and rustic but we found it romantic and it met our needs just fine. It was spotless, well heated (great since it was very cold outside!) and we found the bed quite comfy. The gas fireplace was a nice touch and the shower was excellent, even if the bathroom floor was quite frigid! We cross country skied, hiked in the snow and had the breakfast buffet the next morning. We will go again - maybe once each season to enjoy the changes. Note: you may be able to get a coupon on their website.

Room Tip: The single cabins are very private; I would only suggest one of the quad rooms if you were traveling...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa042

Reviewed 27 November 2012

You could be forgiven for thinking that these cabins are straight out of a B-movie horror. They are slightly creepy cabins built in the 1930s and well positioned in a pretty, quiet forest area. They are small, the beds aren't particularly comfy, ours had legs that looked like they were about to collapse. The shower is good!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Al B
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Stayed in the Whispering Pines cabin that sleeps 6-7 people. This is a modern cabin with the cute decor to go along with it. We enjoyed the area tremendously. The kitchen was good. Refrigerator and stove worked fine. Cabinets and counter were clean. However, the beds were worn and need to be replaced. The kids said the pull out sofa was very uncomfortable. Bathrooms were clean as well, however the floors and throw rugs were dirty. Very difficult to keep the kids from sitting/playing on the floor. They could at least slide the sofa and furniture over to sweep under them. I just feel the total charge of almost $400.00 (for the 2 nights) were a bit pricey for this cabin.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eile15
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We just spent a weekend in one of the sweetheart cabins (#25) and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The cabin is full of historical interest (love CCC architecture), with a very comfortable bed, strong hot shower, and decent appointments like a coffeepot and fridge. The gas fireplace was nice for taking off the chill when we came in off the trails. The restaurant has pretty good food (very heavy on meat, though) and is staffed by extremely friendly and efficient people. We'll go back again for a weekend getaway. Wish the park, which is lovely, had more than six miles of trails, but there are other state parks nearby that are worth visiting, too.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ever_wanderlusty
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

Great little cabins in a beautiful setting. Quiet, comfortable, and reasonably priced. Nicely maintained facility with courteous staff. A bit off the beaten path, but a nice deviation nonetheless. We just sort of happened by on our way to the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa, which only added to the whole road trip experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank VinGins
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My family was seeking a little getaway in the country to bond together after a challenging few months of personal strife. My dad remembered visiting White Pines Inn more than 20 years ago. Happy memories for him and my mom and, based on his suggestion, I checked out the White Pines Inn website and booked the Whispering Pine Cabin. I chose this cabin because it was big enough to accommodate all 10 of us and we wanted to stay together. On a very hot July morning, we packed up two cars and headed to Oregon, IL. So here's the thing, I knew this cabin wasn't going to be deluxe and I was prepared for rustic but I wasn't prepared for...mice. Ugh!! This place was crawling with them, literally. The kids noted the not-so-well-hidden mouse traps right after we walked into our humble vacation home, but I chose to believe they didn't mean anything. We didn't linger in the cabin that first day. We dropped our belongings and left to explore. It wasn't until we returned that evening and the lights went out that reality hit. My father got up to use the bathroom and not-so-quietly called out to my mom, "There's a mouse in our room! There he goes!" And, with that call of alarm, the whole cabin was awake and the kids were on alert to see what else was scurrying through the rooms. There was plenty to see. A grey one with big ears. A black one that's huge. A tiny one with a long tail. For a mouse-phob like me, this was a nightmare. I didn't sleep a wink that night and neither did my two sisters. The mice didn't ruin our trip but I would never, ever choose to stay here again. Even if this place wasn't a favorite destination for little furry creatures, it just wasn't very nice. "Kind of gross" is what the kids called it. Though the kids (all boys) still laugh and share fond memories of seeing their mothers and aunts screaming and leaping on furniture to escape the cabin's tiny intruders.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
14  Thank takemewithu28
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon White Pines Forest State Park in the autumn when we decided to "just drive west" from Chicago to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city for the day. After a short walk around in the pine scented air, we were hooked. So, when we were looking for a mini retreat in early spring, we knew where to go.

Unfortunately, because we booked last minute, they were out of singles, so we were in one of the adjoining cabins. With the A/C, the gas fireplace (whoosh!) and music playing lightly, we were able to feel some semblance of privacy from our neighbor who was watching television at a low, considerate volume next door. These adjoining cabins are like being in the same house with another guest on the other side of the door--fine for families sharing, but less desirable for couples wanting some privacy. All that said: we'll book earlier for a single next time!

The Sunday morning buffet was abundant and delicious. I definitely suggest making a reservation and checking their website for a coupon.

Oregon, IL is nearby, and I recommend Conover Square (in the old piano factory building) for shopping.

We're getting ready to book another mini-retreat at White Pines, and we can't wait! Ahhhh....

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy, book a single cabin! Don't forget to book the breakfast buffe...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank guildencrantz

Been to White Pines Inn? Share your experiences!