“Working out the kinks”

Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Mount Prospect
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our first stay here. Disappointed with no pool to use, but staff was apologetic and offered an off site option which was not appealing. Surprised to find no frig/micro in room as we often stay at Hamptons. Manager (Ryan) on duty understood and literally went next door to buy us a frig. Awesome!! Quiet nights and good breakfasts. We will return for sure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ryan M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Summersanibel,

I am happy to report that our pool has re-opened! Although you were not able to enjoy it this time around we hope to have you back again soon to have the full experience of our property. Please make sure to contact me directly so I can personally make sure you have a great stay in light of our pool being closed.

Overall, I am happy to see that you enjoyed yourself (even with the setback of the pool) and look forward to seeing you again!

PS. I am glad you enjoyed the fridge :)

Warm Regards,
Ryan McKenzie

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Very Clean hotel with very nice rooms for meeting. Staff was excellant. The local area is great to walk around. We had lunch brought in and the hotel saved us a area in the dining area everyday and set us up with 2 diners with in walking distance. I heald a group meeting for work and the conference rm was excellant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2014

While we live in the Chicago area (about 60 miles west) we don't really get out to then northern suburbs very often. However, our daughter had a weekend music workshop at Northwestern University and instead of making the long trip back and forth, we decided to get a hotel room for the three day weekend. I had been researching hotels in the area. Most around the school were very pricey and one was even listed in the "bedbug registry" so, we decided to look a bit further out. I am really glad we did. We chose this Hampton Inn because of the wonderful reviews it received and we were not dissappointed.

The property is about a 30-40 minute drive (all four lane streets, not highway) to Northwestern University. It is also about 15 minutes from Woodfield Mall and about 20 minutes to Old Orchard Mall. Additionally, it is about 20 minutes to the Holocaust Museum (an educational attraction I would highly recommend to anyone). The surrounding neighborhood is very nice with upscale homes all around. The hotel is located in an outdoor shopping center which looks very new. While there are stores already there, i.e. Carsons, T.J. Maxx, Charming Charlies, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Jewel Foods etc., it looks like there is still quite a bit of space that needs to be leased. So, at this point it is still rather empty. They do have several restaurants and an AMC theater which are walking distance from the hotel. There is a Costco literally right next door. I noticed that during the day the area is like a ghost town. Didn't really see many people at all. However, that night, the area came alive with people going to the restaurants and movie theater. It was like a totally different place.

While the shopping center offers edgy looking buildings with all glass storefronts, it has a small town charm to it as well. Some of the sidewalks are lined with brick pavers, there are benches all around to sit and relax and there is even music piped in throughout the courtyards. Just a really nice feel to it. The outside of the hotel also has a very modern look and there is an underground parking garage to the side, which is free for all hotel guests. You only need your door key to gain entrance.

As for the hotel itself, we had a two queen suite which was very spacious. Beds on one side of the room, the sofa area and kitchen with sink, microwave, refrigerator and cabinets on the other side by the front door. The room was divided by this huge wooden desk with canopy with electrical outlets everywhere. A businessman's dream. There was only one television in the suite and it was mounted on the wall at the end of the desk and swiveled to each side to accommodate for viewing in every area of the room.

The room was nice and clean and bright. We had a great view of the plaza in front of the building. The only two issues I could find with the room (and I think all of the Hampton Inn suites are like this) was, first there is no full bathroom. There is a room with a bathtub and toilet. The sink and countertops on which you put your toiletries was located in an open area in front of the bathroom. So, if you are trying to get ready in the morning and other people are still trying to sleep, they won't be sleeping for long. If the light isn't shining in their eyes when you are using the sink, then the hairdryer will wake them up for sure. On the upside, no foggy mirror after taking a shower. This, for me, was not too big of an issue as my whole family needed to be up around the same time on this trip. This, however, could be an issue for others. Additionally, when you turn the light on in the kitchen/foyer area, it also goes on over the beds. So, if I wanted to get something from the fridge in the evening or the early morning, I had to fumble around in the dark so as not to wake my family by turning the light on. They really should put that overhead light above the beds on a seperate switch.

Hotel staff seemed to be very nice. The workout room was fairly large (comparatively speaking) and I can't say much about the pool as it was out of order when we were there. You may want to call ahead to see if it is working if a swimming pool is essential to your stay.

While breakfast was plentiful and always replenished, it could have been a little tastier. The eggs were bland (although that was easily rectified with salt) and the ham was really dry. My family said that the sweet cakes tasted bad and the oatmeal was watery (my husband had to stand there and stir it for a while to thicken it up). Everything was still edible, but we have tasted better. I do, however, applaud them for having hard boiled eggs available on the days when biscuits and gravy was served (I am on a low carb diet and can't touch the stuff), so I didn't go without. The real issue for me with the breakfast area is that they need new furniture. While the other areas of the hotel have the nice clean furniture, in the breakfast area the chairs were dirty and badly stained. However, what bothered me the most was when you sit in the chairs at the tables located in the middle of the room, you sink into them to the point that you feel like a child that can barely see over the table. I am of average height and this has never happened to me before. I kept trying chairs and some were better than others, but none perfect. It was very uncomfortable.

All in all, we really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It's in a great area with loads of shopping and dining options close by, the staff is welcoming, the room was spacious and clean. A little further from the University than I would have liked, but that isn't a big deal. The things I had mentioned about the room were only minor issues for us. I would have loved to give this hotel a five star rating, but, for me, the kitchen/breakfast situation is worth that one star. The bland food can easily be rectified, but, until they get some better furniture for the breakfast area (higher chairs or shorter tables) I can only give them four stars. Still a really good hotel that just needs a little "tweeking". If in the area, I would probably stay here again and recommend them to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the courtyard in front of the hotel facing the Famous Footware. If you...
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Room was very nice and cleen. We stayed in one of the 2 queen suites. Staff was very nice and accommodating. Breakfast area and food was very good. Only problem we had was the pool was closed for maintenance and we were not informed before we arrived, they had our phone number and email.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here after a day at Arlington Race Track. This is a newer hotel with free underground parking and located in a nice shopping area with several very good restaurants within walking distance. Great place to stay. Easy access to interstates.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

You will love this Hampton. It is contemporary and beautiful. Location is very cool essentially nestled in an out door shopping mall. Underground parking was a huge hit also. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This property is in a perfect location for me. It is close to the airport but not so close as to be disturbed by the traffic. There are several nice restaurants within easy walking distance as well as a theater if you have the time to relax and catch a movie. The rooms and common areas are furnished nice and well cared for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Prospect
Holiday Inn Chicago - Mt Prospect
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago Schaumburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Rosemont Chicago O’Hare
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Prospect Heights
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#1 of 2 in Prospect Heights
Wingate by Wyndham Arlington Heights
Wingate by Wyndham Arlington Hei...
#2 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago/Mt. Prospect? Share your experiences!