“Ugh. No thank you!”

Motel 6 Mount Vernon
Motel 6 Mount Vernon
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here the night of September 22nd. The prices advertised on line were $33 per night. I arrived around 8 and they charged a whopping $66 with no explanation to the increase in price. The WIFI that was advertised didn't work the entire time, and the bathroom was filthy. I didn't even take a shower the next morning. The refrigerator didn't work and the "king sized bed" was maybe a full, if that.

Next time I'll take my money and stay elsewhere. I also got no apology from the manager when I checked out the next morning, and he immediately started making excuses.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nurseingr

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Checked in late and had no where else to go! Stinky, filthy, beds sagging. Mildew all over the place. Hair in the bed so had to sleep on the top. ugh - just horrible. My feet stuck to the carpet in a couple places and had to sterilize them and wear shoes the whole time. The AC wouldn't work well and smelled like a skunk when it did work - not kidding here, so in Septembers heat we had to try and sleep with no air circulation. There were a lot of people milling about outside which made us very nervous, since the poor lock on the door looked like you could bump it and it would break. Never again at a motel 6 - will sleep in the car first.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cindy s
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at this Motel 6 in Mount Vernon, IL and were *exceedingly* disappointed. Of course, we choose this hotel because it had the cheapest price and we don’t have a lot of money. This is certainly one instance where you get what you pay for. We will NEVER be staying at a Motel 6 again. Let me explain.

When we checked in, we were greeted by a young woman who had a lukewarm personality at best, but hey, that’s not a deal breaker. We make our way to the room and begin getting unloaded. When we open the door (which, by the way, “must be pulled up on” rather than down like a normal door), the first thing I notice is the smoke alarm hanging out of the wall with bare, unconnected wires handing down. I turn around to notice the plaster coming off the wall above the door. Impressive. I sigh and continue to get settled in. Evening comes and it’s time for a bath. Great, the bath doesn’t look like it had actually been cleaned…and there is no way to plug the drain for a bath. Shower only (which is ok, because I wouldn’t want to have a bath in that tub anyway). We get all settled in and head to bed.

At 1:00 in the morning, we were suddenly awoken by what sounded like a troop of people and a pack of wolves. It turned out to be one elderly woman and her dog(s), but honestly, I’m not sure how that pair could have made as much racket as they did- banging into walls, loud cursing, doors slamming, dogs barking, etc. I called down to the front desk to let them know about my complaint and was told the woman was just checking in and that he would ask her to please quiet down.

A half hour later, when there was still far too much noise to ever dream of sleeping, I called again. The front desk clerk suggested that we could switch rooms. I replied that at 1:30 on a winter morning, I wasn’t interested in packing up our belongings and making our way to another room, but that I would really like to be sleeping. The last straw was when we were told she would be leaving early (out by 6:00 am). My husband and I imagined the same noisy scenario being duplicated in just a few hours time.

By 2:00 am (when the noise *still* hadn’t calmed down) we finally agreed to switch rooms and were told there would be a manager on duty in the morning to sort out our complaint. In our drowsy, and quite angry, state we made our way to the second floor and to a different room. The good news was that it was quieter, most of the plaster was holding on the walls, and the smoke alarm was at least attached to the wall. However, there were crumbles of soap all over the bathroom floor that made one wonder if it had actually been cleaned after the last guests and the tub was still questionable. The rest of the place was mostly clean. (But let’s be honest, “mostly clean” isn’t exactly what you want in a hotel room.)

We got a decent night’s sleep in the second room and requested a 12:00 check out instead of the standard 11:00 am due to our rude awakening in the middle of the night. By the time we were rested from the evening’s fiasco and woke up, all the coffee (the only “breakfast” they offered) had been packed up and put away. Since they didn’t offer an in-room coffee maker, I went down to the front desk and kindly requested some hot water so I could at least make some tea that I had with me.

We packed up (for the second time that day) and made our way to the front desk to check out. I expressed in a polite manner the frustrations we had with the evening. She new desk clerk was kind, said we certainly weren’t the only ones to complain about the woman, but said there was nothing she could do. At this point, I mentioned that at 2:00 am we had been told that there would be a manager on duty who would be authorized to compensate us for our terrible stay. She said that we had *just* missed him and asked for our name and number so he could call back the next day. Ok.

A week later, we are back home and still haven’t heard from the manager (who was in fact the owner, Sam). I called back to explain our situation from a week ago and asked if Sam was in. The woman on the other end says, “Oh, that evening with the dog. I’m sorry, you *just* missed Sam. Can I have your phone number so he can call you back?” Of course. So I give my name and number again. Guess what? Still no call back. I called back again and was told that Sam would return my call “If he deemed it important.” Apparently customer satisfaction is not important to Motel 6.

Motel 6 may “leave the light on for you” …or anybody else who doesn’t have the common decency to make a discreet entrance when they check in at an un-Godly time of night, but by all means, don’t expect a good night’s sleep or any compensation for a terrible experience.

In all honesty, that evening was the worst hotel stay I had ever experienced…and I’ve done a fair amount of traveling. My husband and I will never, I repeat NEVER, stay at another Motel 6. We will drive the extra half hour or pay the extra $20 to avoid stepping foot inside a Motel 6.

Room Tip: NEVER stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Erin12324
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We got in late on our way to Florida on our family vacation. We had two rooms building is in need of maintenence. Good price for just sleeping rooms were very basic. The first room my wife and I stayed in the tv did not work. We had to move to another room at 11:00p.m. at night.
The desk clerk waqs good about it but not really wanting to move to another room at 11:00p.m. after driving 7 hours. Rooms were fairly clean.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quietier than basement rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2012

This is a very basic, lower cost sleep stop. Clean enough. Cordial. Thin towels that have greyed. Heat worked. Light seen through outdoor door jamb. Bring your own shampoo, Kleenex and hair dryer. Next time I'll try another motel.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ottofueler
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed at way better and cleaner Motel 6's. It was just okay. Clean enough. Bed okay. Accomodated us with lower level for mobility issues and dog. Great empty grassy lot to exercise dog!

Tip: it's behind the America's Best Inn although the motel 6 sign is right next to the other hotel, was confusing late at night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

This hotel has potential if they would spray for ants!! Also if this hotel would get rid of the moldy shower curtains the start would be better.. Don't get me wrong this is just an affordable hotel but having ants in the room and moldy shower curtains is not exceptable!
I hope they address the problem!

• Stayed: August 2012
atheneonm6, General Manager at Motel 6 Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Dear Reviewer:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Motel 6 #4658 Mount Vernon. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Sam Patel