“Pretty Authentic Chinese Food. A Place To Definitely Try.”
Review of Mapo

Mapo
Ranked #115 of 461 Restaurants in Naperville
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese, Taiwanese
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My wife and I were invited by a friend to have dinner there a few months back. They, being Chinese, like to try "real" Chinese food, not the usual Westernized version that has too much salt and sugar, and is ususally bathed in some thick, fairly unidentifiable sauce. This restaurant was quite a welcome surprise for my wife, and myself. Most all of what we have tried has been pretty authentic and my wife feels it is some of the best Chinese food she has had since moving here 2 years ago. Try the house special spicy fish soup. Boneless white fish with bean sprouts cooked in a hot oil and buttery type broth with cilantro and completely covered in diced hot peppers. They have to scoop off most of them. There are also a lot of black peppercorns in the soup, so be careful to pick them out unless you like the bitter taste blast you get when you bite into one. The price is reasonable at about $24 considering that with a couple of side dishes, we take home about 1/2 of it, along with remnants of the sides. Other choices run the gamut of beef, chicken, lamb, pork, fish, shrimp, and yes, (crunchy) frog ("if they took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy"). We have now been there several times and the service is usually pretty good. The majority of customers are Chinese / Chinese desent, which is always a good sign. The restaurant itself is clean, bathroom, too. They do not offer alcohol, but I have seen customers bring in the own wine. Not sure if they have a corking fee. Located in a small stripmall behind the Naperville, IL H-Mart supermarket. Another hint: Paying cash should net you a little discount. Just ask. It has now become a bi-weekly meal stop for us.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

There's two menus here: one American Chinese one authentic Chinese. You have to ask for the other menus.

I recently got back from China and eating there brought me right back to all those meals I ate in China. It's the real deal. Phenomenal food. Absolutely amazing.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Food is really well cooked. My girl-friend and i stepped in and loved it the first time. The owner there is a great chinese lady. We drove from 1 hour away, just for the food. Tonight suppose to be a enjoyable classmates dinner. Everything went smoothly, we paid in cash, dinner was about $83. i paid with a 100 dollar bill. The waitress ( an old lady) suggests that i should not ask for the change, because she thinks it "SHOULD" be her tips. we left about $11 for dollar for her. After i came out from the bathroom, i heard the waitress said in chinese:" they are so cheap! they do not even have 4 more bucks? "
I was very offended, the owner should let everyone of her employees understand that i do not HAVE to pay you that much since your service is suck. I gave you $11 because i respect you like my own grandma, not because you deserve it!

1  Thank Jiangzhuowu
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I have been there several times. The mabo tofu is very spicy and good for two people. This restaurant searves the best mabo tofu! The place is small and homy.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Do not let the location of Mapo stop you from enjoying this fantastic and authentic Chinese cuisine. Located in the Minuteman Press mall near Wendy's. The customers are nearly all of Chinese descent; which is an indicator of how wonderful the food is. My favorites are Shrimp with Lobster Sauce and Kung Pao Shrimp. The Spicy Eggplant is also wonderful. The staff are very friendly. Also a great restaurant for take out. Food is prepared quickly with great food containers for take out. Best Chinese food in Naperville.