“bad communication, horrible in-room Wi-Fi”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Was there to bury my Mom, asked them to clean room on Thursday, had been there since Saturday, desk cleark made a note and I ssumed it would be taken care of, upon return from one of the worst days in my life, the room had not been cleaned, and a terse message had been left on my voicemail that it is company policy that if you're only staying 7 days, then the room would not be cleaned, for their policy is rooms are cleaned once every seven days. Well Duh, doesn't that mean I should have had my room cleaned once within that seven days? they didn't see it that way. Wiifi, at login had to enter code, then they would try to up-sell their "high speed" wi-fi with more bandwidth. Which I bet most people do, for the basic in-room wi-fi was horrible, constantly dropping connection or "losing" the signal, causing you to disconnect and reconnect with the wi-fi router/repeater multiple time an evening, especially during "prime time" for internet use between 7-9 PM.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Kurt - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so disappointed that our housekeeping services were not properly explained to you. Please accept my apology. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have coached my team to ensure your experience is not repeated. As far as the internet WiFi, I will also be sure to get in touch with our tech support to make them aware of this problem and have it repaired as needed.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at NPR@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

On June 14th, 2013, I arrived at the hotel after a long day of Zumba instructor training. I live 3 hours from Naperville. I left my house at 5:30am, got to my training in Woodridge at 8:10am. We started registration and physical training at 9:30am. We finished at 7:00pm, I left training at 7:34pm. I drove with my mom so we went to dinner. We got to the hotel about 10pm. When we got to the hotel we met with Bradley he was NOT WELCOMING AT ALL, I explained to him that I have had a long day and I just wanted to pass out. He gave us room #332

I reserved a non-smoking double queen sized bedroom for my mom and I. I got there inspected everywhere and noticed the bed I had chosen, the blanket had mildew on it. I called front desk and told Bradley the issue with the bed. I stated that I did not want to change rooms everything was fine with the room except the blanket. I also told him because of how late we got to the hotel that I know housekeeping had left for the day but my bed should be clean. He asked me to come down for it, I told him that was not going to happen because my mom and I had gotten ready for bed. He then showed up at my door with a comforter, I told him I asked for a blanket not a comforter. He said there wasn't any blanket left and he will have to move me to another room.

He now relocated us to room #328, which was a non smoking room. I could not tell u what the room looked like because as soon as we opened the door, IT STUNK OF SMOKE, he had not gone very far, we called him back he smelled the room and admitted it smelled like smoke. He put us back in the first room, #332, then went and found a brand new blanket. Now remember I told him I had had a very long day and I could barely function. When he brought the new mattress I asked "am I going to lay my bed myself, he did not answer me he just walked away like it was my fault that the blanket in the room I had paid for was not clean. I was so angry but decided I would speak with a manager the next day which I did.

The next morning I told Clarissa the manager on duty,explained what had happened she was very very nice, and apologetic. This was the first time I was staying at an extended stay hotel and I will ONLY come back because of Clarissa.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Make sure your non-smoking room does not stink of smoke, Plus inspect the beds before you change or...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank omo0614
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We appreciate the kind comments about the way your issue was handled by the manager; however, we apologize that when the issue was first brought to our attention, it was not handled properly by my front desk staff. Together, we are working to improve our cleanliness procedures and inspection policies to ensure these types of situations do not happen again in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at NPR@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Visited this Hotel end of May 2013 for one night and it was the worst place I ever stayed! I travel a lot and stay often in Hotels (also less than 3-star hotels), but this one was just terrible. Customer service sucks, check-in took forever, even though it was booked and payed for already via internet. Room did stink terribly (probably due to the kitchen in the room) like grease and oil - not even a bottle of Febreeze did help). Room was dirty: clearly the linens in the beds were not changed out after the last guest and floor was not vacuumed (food crumbles in bed and on the floor). It was also very noisy from the elevator and the Interstate nearby. Breakfast was a joke: just some apples, cupcakes and candy bars to grab (no tables or chairs to sit) and coffee was out. Internet was free, but if you want a reasonable speed, you have to pay extra! Also, there's nothing close to the Hotel, no Restaurants, no stores, nothing. Never ever I'll stay in this Hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels anymore. We paid over 80 bucks a Night - it is not worth $20. Worst experience ever!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MSc4667
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I sincerely apologize that your check-in experience was not a pleasant one. The situation regarding the cleanliness of your room at check-in is unacceptable, as well. Also, I do apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast was not up to your expectations; however, as this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have coached my team to ensure your experience is not repeated moving forward.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at npr@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Early this year (2013) they've remodeled the entire place (new paint, carpets/floors, bathtubs refinished, flat tv, ....) and now it looks very good and contemporary. I've stayed there for almost two years because my (professional type) job was in the area, but I lived in another state and commuted every weekend. The price was discounted and after a month of stay there is no sales tax. My room was on the third floor facing the opposite side of the highway and there was no noise, even with open windows.

Over this "very extended period" I didn't have a single issue that was detriment to make me leave. Everything that I've asked to be fixed was fixed timely. All the little favors that I've asked for have been answered. In my experience (and it was a long one and I saw a lot!) the best thing that this place has is its staff, led by Sherry, the Manager. I knew every member of the team and not even once in almost two years I had a reason to complain about any of them; on a contrary, they were all very kind, polite, forthcoming and trying hard to make my stay pleasant and I am so much thankful to them for their hospitality and customer service!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Thank you for posting such a glowing review. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the results of our renovation. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our timely resolution to any request you made or issue you reported. We are here to help make your stay comfortable and safe; I am proud of the team for accomplishing that mission.

Once more, thank you for posting your review and for choosing our hotel to be your "home away from home."

Reviewed 7 March 2013

The rooms are not too bad ... reasonable space for the price. Cannot recommend the hotel though for sleep - walls and not thick and heard the neighbors until after 1 in the morning, and road noise is very pronounced. I was in a room facing the highway and the noise of cars could be clearly heard .. single pane windows that open and not sealed completely it seems. When you are in a hotel the one thing you really need is ... sleep. This did not happen at this hotel.

Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
HM-ESA, Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

I am eager to respond to your issue. Please know that we strive to provide our guests with a relaxing home away from home experience. We do have systems in place to ensure that outside noise doesn't interfere with a guest's stay. Additionally, our hotels are constructed in such a way as to mitigate the noise from outside disturbances. In the event that you are disturbed by an outside event while in your room, a call to the front desk usually ensures a rapid resolution. In your case, we recognize that we failed to operate according to our standard practices, which caused the disturbance to last longer that it should have.