“The worst hotel stay of my entire life”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Chicago, Illinois
“The worst hotel stay of my entire life”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Where to begin? I booked three hotel rooms and only one of them was available when we checked in (at 4:30, 90 minutes after scheduled checkin). We went out for awhile and returned at midnight (NINE HOURS after the scheduled checkout time and not only were our other two rooms not available, they didn't even rooms for us! Rooms that we already paid for!

After standing at the counter for 30 minutes, they finally found two more rooms that they gave us - the first one was occupied by two people in bed who were scared out of their minds when we walked in. The second room wasn't occupied, but had a massive puddle of something (urine, not sure) on the kitchen floor right when we walked in. So they basically gave us a room that hadn't been cleaned.

I don't fault the lady who was working when we got back late at night, but I do fault the idiot who was working during our initial encounter (Bradley). Not only was he clueless but he was kind of a jerk.

This was, hands down, the worst hotel experience of my entire life. I will go very far out of my way to make sure that none of my friends or family ever stays with Extended Stay. If you're reading this, and considering staying at the Extended Stay, please take my advice and do not do it. If it's the last hotel in town or sleep in my car, I'd choose my car every single time.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We traveled with a group of 29 and needed a place with kitchen suites. The day of our arrival, the staff called to explain they were overbooked and offered us different types of rooms. This was fine with us and we arrived and checked in. The staff didn't greet me until 10 min after I stood there (he was on the phone with someone). Finally he checks us in and gives me 10 room numbers and keys. Our group unloads and arrives to their rooms. Only to find out some of the rooms already had guests staying in them. This was an awkward conversation when we walked in the door and someone else was standing there in the room we were assigned. We walk to the front desk to get another room only to realize another family is standing in the lobby that incurred the same awkward situation. The hallways are dirty with trash and dishes left out. The hotel allows dogs and there were several barking throughout the night. At 2am someone tried to get into one of our rooms saying this was the room they were assigned (again another over booking problem). We were very disappointed with our experience here and will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Travellers are raving about these Naperville hotels

Alpena, Michigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Our room was nice, king bed, queen sofa bed, desk, and kitchen. The kitchen was spacious. Room was decent and clean. I don't usually stay at an Extended Stay hotel, so maybe I just don't know how things are done there, but the coffee maker that I thought would be in our room was something we needed to request. We also didn't have shampoo and conditioner in our room, again available upon request. I'd prefer that these were available without having to ask for them.

Breakfast is described as "grab and go" which is exactly what they mean. There is coffee and hot water for hot chocolate or tea, along with fresh fruit, an assortment of granola bars, and store bought, packaged muffins. If you're looking for anything else, you won't find it here.

I'm returning to Naperville this week, but won't be staying here. While the room was nice, it's the little things that matter most. Hoping to find a better breakfast along with shampoo and conditioner, and maybe a coffee maker at another hotel in town.

Oh one other thing, when I checked out, my receipt had my name, address, and room number on it, but the price charged was a different (cheaper) rate and showed the last four digits of a credit card number I don't recognize. I checked all of my debit/credit cards, and the number isn't mine! I'm not sure how that got screwed up, but it's a little scary. Makes me wonder if someone else's receipt showed my rate and partial card number.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debra N
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Check in was fast, my room was clean, service was great, getting breakfast was fast and easy, check out was fast and easy. My only complaint is that they keep the kitchen ware in the office and I had to do get it. Most of the time the pots, pans, coffee maker and dishes are already there. This location is close to downtown Naperville and I had a great time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
FL native in the St Louis IL side heartland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel was the nastiest, dirtiest hotel I have ever seen. Filthy carpet, poor cleaning and a used condom between the bed and the wall. I took photos. Unbelievably dirty!! The don't do daily maid service when the room is in use, they do it once a week or when you check out whichever comes first. I've never seen such a filthy room in my life. I put towels down on the floor so that I didn't get a disease from walking on the filth.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LimoBarbie
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I ended up canceling my reservation and not even going. These people are a joke. I got a threatening phone call saying I needed to give out credit card info over the phone, and when I tried to speak with a manager to make sure it wasn't a scam, no one seemed to know where the manager was or when the manager would be back. Even worse, after I had canceled the reservation and received my cancellation confirmation, I got left a voice mail saying they tried to charge my card, which means they still have my card info on file AFTER I cancelled. HORRIBLE SERVICE, HORRIBLE PEOPLE.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Do not waste your time.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Chicago - Naperville - East, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I apologize that you were not satisfied with the service that was provided by our team. Your comments were reviewed by our staff and we will coach and train to make sure your experience is not repeated. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me at npr@extendedstay.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I had a friend staying at the extended stay for a few weeks and when he did check in he had to wait 2 hours to get checked in. And had to help the young lady clean his room! He swept for her! Just so that he could get into his room quicker. The room was never fully serviced at all. I called to the front desk to ask to be transferred to his room and a housekeeper answered the phone (not sure where the front desk staff was at 1 pm on a Thursday). But the housekeeper told me she was on the mobile phone and could not transfer me to a room because she was on the third floor and hung up on me. I called back a second time and asked her if she could please go downstairs and connect me and she pretended to type in the numbers on the cordless phone and hung up AGAIN! I called a last time, and asked for her name and her managers name. She told me her name was Clarisa and the manager wasn't there. I actually came into the hotel about 15 minutes later and the housekeeper was downstairs at the front desk and her name tag said EVELYN! She was lying the whole entire time. Since checking into the room, we've found condom wrappers and hairs of all types of different textures. I'm just embarrassed for this hotel. Especially being in the customers service industry I would never treat my customers such a way, even if I was tired or not in the mood to complete a task.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that you and your friend had a long waiting time before being checked in. As well, I apologize that our staff did not attend to your needs in a professional manner. Lastly, I am sorry for the cleanliness issues you experienced. I will be reviewing these concerns with our staff to ensure these issues do not continue in the future. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at npr@extendedstay.com.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a better stay in the future.