“Silverfish in Room”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Naperville/Aurora
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I found the staff/customer service at this hotel to be super. It was great walking in and seeing your name printed at the desk welcoming you as a rewards member. Unlike other posts here, I did not hear my neighbors. I was in room 311, which is a suite, usual Fairfield Inn standard. The hotel 'appeared' to be very clean and when I checked out, I stated I'd returrn again. However, I'm not so sure now.

I stayed one night - June 15. I woke up at midnight and from the light of the television, I saw something crawling in the bed inches from my face. I had some kleenex under my pillow and I used it to grab whatever it was. I jumped up, cut the light on in the bedroom and called to the front desk stating there was a roach in my room and I needed someone to come up now. It took about 10 minutes and the gentleman arrived wearing a glove. I told him what happened, handed him the tissue, and told him I wanted to be moved to a different room.

He looked inside the tissue --- let me forestate, we were in the living room, the light in there was not on, and I never looked inside the tissue as I CANNOT stand bugs...he looked inside the tissue and whatever it was was still alive. He smashed it and said it was not a roach, but a silverfish that probably came in thru the window (I didn't have the window open but maybe the prior guest did). He assured me that the hotel was clean and silverfishes were not roaches. He said it was just a bug that somehow got thru the window. He said he would put a credit on my account for the upset and left.

I believed him and managed to settle down after spending the next 30 minutes itching (positive it was psychological from this bug incident). When I received the printout of my bill, no credit was given. I said nothing, that was fine with me as my thought was a hotel can't help what might come in through the window and thank God it wasn't a roach. As well, I'm enrolled in a stay 2 get 1 night free so if they credit part of my stay, this is a wasted stay for the promotion, and in that case I'd rather have the stay.

PROBLEM: Walking out the hotel door behind me was an exterminator (Ecolab). Hmmm, was it a roach or a silverfish? Well today I was having lunch at Navy Pier and I happened to meet a manager at a different Fairfield Inn (not suites). I told him about what happened, he said I should've looked at the bug because at his property, staff would be fired for confirming it was a roach. He said 'really, what was he going to say, yeah it's a roach, what would that do to the propery.' He said his property would have credited the entire stay. I told him I'd only asked to be transferred to another room but that didn't occur since staff said it wasn't a roach. He was adamant that the stay should've been credited. I advised I didn't want the stay credited or a portion of the stay credited as I needed the stay for the promotion. He advised that if I would have said that to Naperville's staff, they would have/should have given me 10k points. He said his GM gives 20k points because she doesn't want a bad GSS (GSS or GSM, can't remember which one he said and he didn't explain what it was) but most just give 10k.

After this conversation, I came home and looked up silverfish on wiki. They are brown and do resemble roaches - especially in the dark. However, wiki says they are wingless so now I'm wondering how it got through the window AND I'm still wondering why was the exterminator there.

I'm unsettled now about how I really feel about this stay and whether or not I will return. I'm trying to be fair by giving it an average.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ashaw

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Even when we stayed at the first floor (very near the pool) we didn't hear any noise. The room was very clean, 5 pillows in each bed, nice and clean carpet, bathroom ok, tv ok. My 7 year old kid was very happy swimming in the pool and I was even more happy in the spa, I really recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Yaya33
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed here for a quick 2 night get away to Naperville. The hotel itself was fine - the room was clean, good Internet connectivity, decent breakfast. My negative comments are as follows:
1. On the first morning they had a low fat granola cereal but the second day they only had sugary kid friendly cereal 2. I was under the impression that the rooms were suites but we only had a standard room. It wasn't a big deal but I paid a few dollars more for this hotel over the other Fairfield Inn in Naperville so was disappointed 3. It is a bit difficult to find. We came in from 59 and the only sign from Diehl is a very small blue lodging sign with several hotels listed. We missed it the first time. 4. It is not as convenient to downtown as other hotels. 5. There is no fitness center.

With all that being said, if you want a basic hotel to sleep at it serves it's purpose.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy-STLMom
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This Marriott hotel is standard with the rest of the Fairfield brand and that means it is clean, roomy, and fairly priced. My room had a small kitchen area and microwave, a separate couch, decent work area with free internet connection, and roomy bed room that was open to the bathroom sink area. Breakfast was included. It is right off the 88 interchange and convenient to offices in the Warrenville/Naperville area. The staff is pleasant and accommodating. I have stayed there before and won't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stepsite
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed for 3 nights on a vacation to visit family in Naperville. Our suite was very comfortable, with french doors separating the bedroom with king bed in back from the front room with a pull out sofa in the front. The sofa bed worked for the kids, and the king was very comfortable for us. Enjoyed the small indoor pool and hot tub. Breakfast area is small, but well stocked. Would stay here again.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank HfromMD
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for two nights visiting family nearby. Hotel was very clean in all areas, friendly front desk staff. Good continental breakfast and nice small pool and hot tub for kids to swim in. Room was comfortable and very quiet both nights- furniture and carpet not worn out- but just beginning to look a bit dated. Is located in an area with a lot of offices, tons of retail and restaurants nearby on Route 59. Easy access to I88 Tollway. I thought it was a good stay for the price- not super fancy but perfect for short family getaway where we were really only there at night and in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The property is located off 59 and Diehl Road which provides easy access to Malls and restaurants on 59.

The rooms look new, the beds are comfortable. The facility has a swimming pool, free internet and a computer with an attached printer in the lobby area. The breakfast is standard fare.

There is a Marriott Towne place suites across the parking lot (50 feet) that you can do laundry at.

The staff is friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the front entrance. The elevator is in the center of the floort so if you park at...