“Slightly above average, good food...great drinks.”
Review of On the Border

On the Border
Ranked #111 of 461 Restaurants in Naperville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

Our family loves Mexican food and we've eaten at a ton of Mexican restaurants over the years. This place ranks just above average for me.

The service was very good, we were seated promptly and our waiter brought out water, chips and salsa and took our drink order immediately. The chips and salsa were very good and the drinks were excellent. The waiter continued to be very attentive throughout the entire meal.

We looked over the menu and the selections are pretty interesting, I was stuck between 3 different entrees but ultimately went with fajitas, my wife went with the Chicken Fresca and my son ordered from the kids menu. The food came out really fast, all correct and streaming hot.

The food was good. Now here's my issue...I've eaten at other places with similar pricing on their meals and the food was spectacular. For the money, this food was not spectacular. Don't get me wrong, the food was good but the pricing brings down the value rating for me.

I would eat here again due to the uniqueness of the menu, but for me, unique doesn't mean you can automatically charge higher prices. I don't mind paying more when the quality warrants it.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We really enjoyed this restaurant, because we knew what to expect.
It is a chain restaurant that serves Tex-Mex food, so nothing really special in our opinion, but it is close to home.
My husband and I had shared a guacamole appetizer, had an entree (Carne Asada for him, and Chicken Tacos Al Carbon for me) and a total of 2 drinks (one Long Island and one Pina Colada).
Grand total = just under $50 (without tip).
For that amount of $$ I personally prefer to drive 13 miles to the town of Geneva, IL. where there are two/three local mexican restaurants with more unique flavors and freshly made cocktails. One restaurant is comparably priced, but the other you'll pay more. But you get what you pay for. Yum.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I really like this Mexican restaurant now. It has a nice feel, but sometimes it is very crowded and you have to wait to eat. Whenever someone comes and it is their birthday, they all sing like a ten-second song. However, the waiters and waitresses tend to forget the order (I think the one that forgot mine was named Vanessa) but when you come in you get chips and salsa. The food is good overall and if I lived in Naperville, I would come here.

3  Thank Sonny F
Reviewed 12 February 2013

This is one of my favorite places to go and eat. My last few visits here have left me with some questions. How is it possible to serve my food less than 11 minutes of me ordering it? This would normally be a positive. I figure the food was just warmed and not cooked to order. The restaurant was packed this past weekend. I was very disappointed in the strawberry daiquiri I ordered. It tasted watery. It did not have any flavor. The chips and salsa were good.

I noticed they cook their tortillas in the back of the dining room. However, they used premade dough. I wonder how fresh the dough was. Was the dough prepared at the restaurant or does it arrive frozen? I am starting to wonder how fresh the food is here.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

We visit this restaurant several times a year and we are always treated very kindly by the staff and the senior management, who make it a point to always stopping by the table to talk.

1  Thank Chuck s

Been to On the Border? Share your experiences!