“Decent No-Frills Hotel for the Price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of TownePlace Suites Chicago Naperville

TownePlace Suites Chicago Naperville
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Naperville
Kansas City, Missouri
“Decent No-Frills Hotel for the Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and three small kids between Christmas and New Years. It’s a decent, no-frills place to stay, especially for the value. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. One room had a king bed and bathroom. One room had two queens and a bathroom. And the middle common room had lounge area and a kitchenette. The rooms were great, especially being able to put our three kids in their own room, close off the doors, and still be able to stay up. The Kitchenette has a table and four chairs, full size fridge, electric stove, and a small dishwasher. The staff is friendly. They serve a daily continental breakfast, which as others reviewers mentioned, didn’t have much variety but was still decent. Parking was plentiful. The pool is small, but was clean. The workout area is likewise small but clean as well. The hotel is located in a generally corporate area, right off the I-88 tollroad. So with the windows open you can hear the traffic, but it wasn’t terrible. I personally liked having close access to the highway. Also, Route 59 is near the hotel, which contains a plethora of stores and restaurants. That was handy as we stocked our room.

My only complaints were that the free wi-fi internet was so slow/dropped off so often, that it was unusable. At checkin, the front desk person told me to expect that, because it was a shared, unsecured network. Additionally, the heating/cooling units in each room were very loud/old and in need of being updated. Aside from that, it was a good and relatively inexpensive place for our family to stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank chrisrandom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

The pool is so small, we had to wait for 2 hours for our turn to swim. The kitchen area is really small and the refrigerator was set to the warmest setting and it still froze our food. Our rooms were lit up by the security lights from the parking lot and the basketball court all night long, the curtains didn't close properly even with the clothes pins we happened to have with us. The toilets flushed so loud in the middle of the night that it was quieter to get dressed, and leave the room to use the public bathroom. The closet door felll apart when it was opened. There was minimal lighting (not enough to read by) in the second bedroom. The beds were not comfortable at all. All kinds of little things added up to make this an unpleasant stay. The deal breaker was the lack of cleanliness during breakfast. My party and another party had to ask for tongs to get the bread for the toaster and for the hard boiled eggs after we observed many people touching the food with their hands. I personally didn't even eat the pastries. The location was nice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Battfox
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

I've stayed at this location twice. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are large with basic furniture and kitchenettes.
I found the breakfast too be Spartan without much variety.
The staff has always been helpful.
The property is easily visible from I88 but is easy to bypass on the access road. 3 hotels share what is essentially one big lot, and this property is tucked behind another so that you can't see it from the street. Just pull into the Fairfield Inn and you will also be at the Towneplace Suites.

• Stayed June 2010
Rock Island, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

I traveled to the Chicago area with a group of girlfriends and was looking for accommodations to fit up to 6 of us. I searched many of the Marriott brand hotels and found only this location that had a 2 bedroom suite with 1 king in bedroom #1 and 2 queens in bedroom #2 - each bedroom had its own bathroom . There was also a sofabed in the living area and a kitchen. Location was off of I-88 (ask for room not facing highway -- heard highway noise at night) and the Metra station was very nearby. We caught the train to go downtown. TIP: look at a schedule to try to catch the express trains that don't make all of the stops -- much faster ride and be careful on the way back. There are 2 Naperville stops and we almost got off of the train on the wrong one!

Also, we wanted to order deep dish Chicago pizza like Giordano's for delivery at the hotel. We went with the front desk clerk's recommendation for a pizza company. I called and placed our order and was told that yes they had stuffed pizza (the guy was difficult to understand) yet a regular pizza was delivered. It turns out that they don't even make that kind of pizza and the hotel front desk clerk got a commission for getting us to order from that place! Other than that, the staff was helpful.

Also, it is not too far from IKEA in Bolingbrook.

Breakfast was nice too.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

This hotel is little more than a reworked Amerisuites property with a great location just off I-88 in Naperville, Illinois. Because I've stayed at several new TownePlace Suites properties, I may be a little tougher to please by a revamped hotel; however, I have to call it like I see it.

Nick was working the front desk as I entered through the non-automated front doors, and he was exceptionally friendly, professional and engaging. It's apparent that the staff here has been well trained.

The suite, while quite spacious with two full-size windows, showed its age a bit, even though the kitchen floor and appliances looked to be relatively new. When I bent to clean up some spilled complimentary coffee grounds (the filter pack had a small hole in it), however, I noticed that the hardwood floor could have been cleaner.

The property is generally quiet, apparently allows pets (I met a nice lady with a beautiful Weimaraner in the elevator), and offers a free breakfast. For the price, it's a good value and the staff makes up for any of the property's shortcomings.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
St. Louis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

We just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. While we were thrilled with the layout of our 2 bedroom suite as it allowed all 3 of our kids to have their own beds and my husband and I to have our own private room, too, there were other things that were less than impressive. While some redecorating has occurred, the building is showing its age. The sprinkler in our bedroom was rusted over, we saw repaired cracks in some walls, and our 3 room unit contained 3 totally different climate control units (obviously from 3 different eras). While there were signs everywhere programming proudly and prominently that this property was 100 percent smoke-free, our first suite stunk of cigarette smoke. When my husband returned to the front desk to complain, the clerk did not seem surprised. At that point we realized that we had stayed at this location a few years ago and experienced this same issue. On that trip they blamed it on a recent rebranding of the property to a totally smoke-free chain. The beds were quite comfortable with lots of pillows; however, the rooms were not sound-insulated very well as we could hear highway noise when the blower was off and were awakened nightly by a vibration/jackhammer-like noise from a neighbor's exhaust fan. Breakfasts were adequate but limited in variety--I would have liked some breakfast meats or other protein as it seemed to be all carbs with some fruit. The pool area was clean, but the pool is tiny! On our final morning we waited over 90 minutes to use a lobby computer only to find that two children of an employee had been using them this entire time. The location is quite convenient near the intersection of I88 and Rt 59.

Would we stay here again? Probably not as we have had much better experiences at the nearby Residence Inn. Even though the room size per dollar is not as good there, the overall experience is well worth it.

• Stayed October 2010
Naperville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

We stayed here for a week after relocating across to Naperville from the UK with my wife and two young daughters. We had several suitcases and bags with us, and the two bedroom suite with separate living room was excellent - after a day of househunting, we could come back and put the girls to bed in a separate room, and discuss the houses and watch TV in the separate living room area of the suite. Also stayed a few months later, had the same suite, and my mother and father in law were able to stay in the same suite, keeping down the cost of the stay. The breakfasts were included and were good, and the swimming pool in the hotel was used by us everyday and kept my eldest daughter amused! There were also two PC's in reception which can be used for free to access the internet.

The furnishings however are fairly basic, and there is no oven in the kitchen area - just a microwave. The business model for these types of suite hotels results in the beds and rooms not being cleaned and bins emptied everyday, and there are few staff also at the hotel, although those there were very friendly.

Parking was free and immediately outside, and the hotel is located just off 88 and 59, which is convenient for most places, although outside of central Naperville and to the north of most places in Naperville, so although easy to get to everywhere we needed, it was always a good 15 minute drive to where we needed to go.

Overall, not a place for a romantic weekend away, but excellent place to stay if you are going to stay for a long time, or are travelling with lots of bags or in a larger family group/young children, as for the cost of a hotel room, you can have a suite with living room/kitchen and two separate bedrooms. However please do not expect the same service you would get in a hotel, and the furnishings in the rooms are fairly basic.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family