“Great place to stay.”

Nauvoo Villas The Condos
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place to stay.”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We have stayed at the villas twice in the last two years on our way to Truman in MO. It is a great place to stay as it was two hours away from Truman for our college visits. The place is large to accomodate our family of seven (first visit) with a two bedroom and an attached third bedroom. The second time, we stayed in the two bedroom since we only took two of our children. Having internet access was great too. Phone reception was low, but that is due to our carrier. We will stay again. The winter rates make it a great price too. David (manager) answered all our questions, and even with late checkin, the process went very smoothly. No problems with the unit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
olivegarden, General Manager at Nauvoo Villas The Condos, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Thank you for your review. It is because of the feedback we get from our guests that we are able to keep up with the things that really matter. Look for more changes in the near future. Manly internet speed and better cell service.

Thanks
David

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I personally love staying in a condo on vacation. You get the important amenities from home with some of the benefits of a hotel stay. These condos are nice and clean and the kitchens/kitchenettes are very handy. The bed was VERY comfortable. My wife and I stayed in a one-bedroom unit and it was nice to have 5 pillows available to us and plenty of towels as well. The location is a very short drive to Nauvoo (~3 miles to the temple). I would definitely stay here again.

That having been said there are a few minor gripes. The location is off a gravel road and the parking lot is gravel as well. So I imagine rainy season stays are not pleasant. We stayed in late March and the recent snow melt had left the parking lot a bit muddy in spots. Also the parking is not good if you have an even-number unit. These units are on the back of the property so you'll need to walk down a path to get to the door. It's not far but again during rain you'll want an umbrella.

The unit was spacious enough but the simple decor is a bit dated, inexpensive and banged up a little. There was no closet anywhere in our unit or even a coat rack. Instead there is a wire closet shelf attached to the wall in the bedroom. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't over one side of the bed at the he headboard end of the bed. That side of the bed is VERY close to the wall (less than 12") so if you hung your clothes/coats there they would brush you when you rolled over in bed. Being 6'4" tall I smacked my head on the shelf getting out of the bed the first night. Poor placement choice all around.

The Television in the bedroom is too small for the cabinet and the picture quality is terrible. Not a big deal as we weren't in Nauvoo to watch TV anyway. Personally I'd do away with the bedroom TV and put in an armoire so that people could hang suits/dress there instead of over the bed.

I did need to use the internet while staying. They have a wired connection and provide you with a patch cable for your laptop. But the connection is extremely slow. I tested the connection 3 times and it came back at 0.10-0.56Mbps which means we're talking around dial-up speed. So don't plan on sending photos via email, skyping, etc.

Also, for a seasonal "mormon mecca" site, the cellular service in the area outside of Nauvoo proper is terrible. Sprint and AT&T customers can pretty much not count on using their phones at the Villas. Our group had both providers covered and the best signal was a bar if you were lucky. Move slightly and you lost the signal. Don't expect 3G/4G connections either. When you can get 3G it's, again, basically a very slow dial-up speed. Not a fault of the Nauvoo Condos at all but just a caveat to be aware of.

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered unit so that you're right by the parking lot and on top. Even numbered unit...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tofudisan
Sorry to be so long in responding to your review. I wanted to have some things to report when I did respond. Please accept my sincere thanks for your thorough review.

A condo is a great way to go on vacation for the reason you mentioned. The comforts of home are the number one things people look for and enjoy. I am sorry that we failed in some of those respects.

First the parking lot is a compressed rock/gravel and was in need of being refreshed as the gravel settles. After the winter plowing that scrapes away much of the gravel it is a good idea to replace the gravel. The muddy parking lot in the rain has given way to 120 tons of new rock and gravel pad which had been laid. I know the road may appear to be gravel also but that is the sand from the winter on top which makes it appear to be a gravel road. We are on a sealed road which is maintained by the township and we very much appreciate Mr. Bollin and his crew.

The furniture is a bit dated as we have chosen to concentrate our efforts in the average guest who wants a clean comfortable place to stay and does not want or need new furniture with every changing style. I do hate the lack of closet in the one-bedroom units and appreciate your suggestion about adding a wardrobe in place of the armoir holding the TV. I am hoping to make changes to that situation yet this year.

The internet is as you state, very slow at times. It appears that you caught the local telephone company on a particularly bad day. One of the charms of Nauvoo is the rural setting. One of the failings of Nauvoo can be the rural services offered. We have had no options for anything better until recently. We have signed contracts with the local cable provider to bring us a 20 meg service, increase TV clarity and more channels in addition to better phone services, which may lead to some calls being free instead of just calls into Nauvoo.

We are not like other lodging places that charge for internet but we do need to find a way to limit the usage. I appreciate that smart phones are the essential item for most people now but when a family of seven checks in and everyone has one and then complains about the speed of the service it is impossible for me to every overcome those circumstances. At some point we will be making changes to our wireless service for that reason. We have contacted AT & T about using some of the land around us to build a cell tower and are hoping that we have also made some connections with AT & T representatives who have stayed with us to make that hope a reality.

I do also understand about not being able to park in front of the even numbered lower units and was in your corner on that score and opposed the owners, asking that they allow parking until the day that I saw a family come in and the kids spread of the toys and run on that lush 3 acres of grass. It really is the best of both worlds.

Please accept my sincere thanks and I hope that you come and enjoy some changes on your next stay.

David
Marshall, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My Husband and I came to Nauvoo to celebrate our first Anniversary and we really liked our stay here! The Villas Condos are located just outside of Nauvoo. We got a good deal and felt at home.
Some Hotels in town are a bit pricey for one night and we're so glad we decided to stay at the Villas instead.

Thank you so much! We'll be coming again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
olivegarden, General Manager at Nauvoo Villas The Condos, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
I am so glad that you were able to enjoy your stay here for your Anniversary. We are pleased to offer affordable accommodations for your Nauvoo visit. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed here for one night on recommendation. The condo was spacious, clean and the kitchen was well equipped with just about anything you would need. We stayed as a couple but this would be perfect for a family. Their winter rates are reasonable. The villas are located a couple of miles outside of Nauvoo, just a short distance off the highway.

Its a bit of a treasure hunt to get to your room (not in a bad way). Their office hours are limited, we found an envelope tapped to the office door with our name on it. Inside were instructions to get the room key, a map and any other information needed. Check in and out was simple. We had people staying on both sides of us and didn't hear them. We had a couple of questions before booking and the staff was helpful and called back in a timely manner.

We'll be staying again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank herd_of_5
olivegarden, General Manager at Nauvoo Villas The Condos, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to Nauvoo and that the Nauvoo Villas was able to provide you with comfortable lodging. I will keep working to make the maps of the property easier to read but I think I know what you are saying. It always takes a bit to get myself oriented to a place when I stay at other Condos and hotels as I travel. Come back soon.
Golden Valley, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We went in the off-season with our daughter and her family. We got the 3-bedroom deal (adjoining 2-bdrm and 1-bdrm units). We shared the main living space in the larger unit. It worked very well. The price was VERY reasonable. The rooms were clean and well-kept. The kitchen was well-stocked with dishes and cookware. There was a broom and dustpan, which came in handy when someone spilled something on the floor! They also provided an iron and ironing board.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
olivegarden, General Manager at Nauvoo Villas The Condos, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Nauvoo has a great charm and is a wonderful place to visit even in the winter. Come again soon.
Cedar Falls, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We stayed at the Villas for the first time this past weekend. We had 3 children, and got a 2 bedroom condo. It was perfect for our family. The children had their own room, and enjoyed watching the Disney Channel right before bed! My husband and I had our own room with an attached bathroom, which was perfect for us. The kitchen was a full size kitchen with full size stove/oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, sink. We were surprised to find the kitchen stocked with dishes and bake ware! Our room was clean, with fresh towels and linens. It was a quite, peaceful place outside Nauvoo, but just a short drive in to town. We will be returning!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
olivegarden, General Manager at Nauvoo Villas The Condos, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Jennifer,

We are so glad that you had a great weekend in Nauvoo. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us what you liked about the Nauvoo Villas. We will continue to do all we can to make your trips to Nauvoo relaxing and enjoyable.
Itasca, Illinois
Reviewed 18 November 2012

My brother-in-law had the pleasure of staying at Nauvoo while in this falls hunting trip. We were both very pleased with the villa. The condos are large, clean and well kept. The staff isn't always on site on off season but are very easy to reach and very plesant and heapfull. It's not right in town, so you can enjoy a quiet evenigs but so close that travel to and from is very easy. I would recoment a stay here to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
olivegarden, General Manager at Nauvoo Villas The Condos, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
I am glad the hunting trip worked out for your guys. Sometimes it is more than the hunt but just time to get away and share time with friends and family doing something you like. Now that you have found us I hope that you come back and see us again and again like so many others from all over have done.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nauvoo
Comfort Inn & Suites
Super 8 Keokuk
Super 8 Keokuk
#2 of 6 in Keokuk
Baymont Inn & Suites Keokuk

Been to Nauvoo Villas The Condos? Share your experiences!